What's new

Nurses to get a pay rise of 1%

Don’t really agree that rich people should pay more tax but I do think that people and organisations should to be able to avoid paying taxes.

haven’t looked into it but I’d be interested to know what the numbers would look like if everyone paid a flat rate, no ifs or buts, when they’re earning.

I appreciate the reasons why some may feel moaning about pay rises is wrong, I think they need to suck it up.

The government messes up so badly with the covid response people lose their jobs and are now on universal credit and they should just suck it up?

... and feel happy the government has given someone else a 1% pay increase at the same time?

I agree but I understand why people don't want to hear it. People have lost their jobs to 'save the NHS' ... people have had businesses destroyed to 'save the NHS' ... and while they might agree with any pay rise they are given, they might not appreciate to hear people moaning that they only got 1% when everyone else got nothing (or worse than nothing) and sat in doors all year to 'save the NHS'.

i think the problem with this stems from the problem of the government’s marketing message. people lost their jobs to save the lives of a percentage of the population, rather than the nhs surely? if everything had stayed open and we had thrown caution to the wind it would not have led to the death of the nhs.

it seems to me the “save the nhs” marketing had an ulterior motive. these bastards like the idea of highlighting it’s mortality before they slowly and quietly kill it.

i’ll say again mr bevan was right.

The government messes up so badly with the covid response people lose their jobs and are now on universal credit and they should just suck it up?

... and feel happy the government has given someone else a 1% pay increase at the same time?
No. That's totally not the point of the post I wrote. Granted, the suck it up bit could've done with expansion but I figured the unquoted part of my post would have elaborated the point sufficiently. I think you're purposefully misinterpreting my points.

They deserve better and have done for a long time imo. I don’t particularly feel they deserve any thing special for dealing with coronavirus but given that they’ve been overlooked for quite some time a little more generosity given the recent shit show would’ve come across as less cunty.

about other people losing their jobs? I think that falls squarely at the governments feet. Poor decision making meant that they tried to tread a middle line between keeping the economy open and the case count down and it didn’t work. I think we’d have been better to shut up shop, close the borders and got the case count down to nothing and then opened back up again. It would’ve cut deep to begin with but it would’ve allowed us to get back to a proper version of normal better.

* I’m not usually a keep them out kind of person but in this instance consistently allowing travel into and out of the country seemed like something which was totally ignored.

anyway back to the NHS, they should be paid more full stop (although some of the organisational issues need sorting to really get some proper cost efficiencies) Teachers should do too. It baffles me that we expect people to give us the best and don’t reward them appropriately.

I completely agree that they are severely underpaid.

But I do think the pay rises should be departmental. Some parts of the NHS have been unused due to the pandemic, and quieter than usual. I would give those on the ICU wards etc a higher percentage than those in A+E for example, where according to reports have seen a lot less admissons

No. That's totally not the point of the post I wrote. Granted, the suck it up bit could've done with expansion but I figured the unquoted part of my post would have elaborated the point sufficiently. I think you're purposefully misinterpreting my points.

The rest of it seemed irrelevant to the point I made.

It's like going round to your mate's house who's just lost his job and moaning that you didn't get a pay rise this year.

Know what he'll say? "At least you still have your job you miserable selfish twat"

Deep down he knows you deserve a pay rise, you've worked hard, you deserve it... but he doesn't want to hear it right now. He doesn't want to hear 'when society wins were all winning' when he can't feel any less optimistic about his situation.

Don’t really agree that rich people should pay more tax but I do think that people and organisations should to be able to avoid paying taxes.

haven’t looked into it but I’d be interested to know what the numbers would look like if everyone paid a flat rate, no ifs or buts, when they’re earning.
This

The rich dont need to b penalized, they just need to be taxed the same, no loopholes, no upper limits, no billion dollar tax deductions (ehem...trump), just pay yer fair share dude.

For a statistic about corporations, i believe it was 2010, verizon (which is like your vodafone, or canada's rogers communications)...verizon had a negative tax rate. Iirc it was negative 1% or 11% (i forget). That means that they recieved money back from the goverment.

This is obviously they type of thing that should never be allowed.

Bailouts should come with repayment terms, even if they r low interest.

Fines for multi-billion dollar companies for poisoning entire towns and ecosystems should be more than 20 thousand dollars.

Shoulda woulda coulda
These things didnt happen by magic
Who is responsible...us

Last edited:
Can i ask the brits here a question actually?

Do u think of the value of an item differently because your money is worth so much compared to a dollar or a euro?

Like someone here mentioned £30,000 as a good salary. I believe that equates to £15 per hour. (Or at least here thats what the numbers work out to in the states)
Anything less than $20-25/hr here and u r struggling if u have kids or anything.

How much is a gallon of milk there? Here it is about $4
A reasonable monthly cell phone bill is $40-45.
A 1 bedroom apartment is gonna b about $750-1000/per month

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom