What's new

Old image attachments and image uploads

OccultScientist

Administrator
Staff member
Hello forum members!

We're currently looking into upgrading our forum software, but running into an issue. The codebase is now so big due to uploads that even making a backup is filling up the server's hard drive.

With that in mind, I've now introduced a maximum image upload size of 1MB and will be looking to remove old attachments from posts before 31st December 2019.

If you have any images in threads or competitions, can I suggest you grab a copy in the next week.

Thanks!

With the new 1MB file upload limit, I've been revisiting the idea of off site hosting and posting links instead of uploading directly on to the forum. Used to use Photobucket back in the day before all their shenanigans.

Tip of my hat to @Rob for putting me on to Post Image which has a free option. Can maintain the original picture size and quality whilst not clogging up the forum servers. Thanks, Boss.
tipshat2.gif

https://postimages.org/

Last edited:
@Mitz @Rob Thanks, just tried this, uploaded a 3.30MB image and it came out at 252KB, with no apparent loss of quality. Cushty for pc and laptop, not sure how this works for people using a phone, although personally phone use and images wont be a prob from my end.

@Mitz @Rob Thanks, just tried this, uploaded a 3.30MB image and it came out at 252KB, with no apparent loss of quality. Cushty for pc and laptop, not sure how this works for people using a phone, although personally phone use and images wont be a prob from my end.
I'm a phone user and no problem at all to use. :thumbup:

This is why I always resize anything I upload to keep it under 50Kb as I know how fast it can start to eat into server space which somebody has to pay for plus how much it slows download speeds.

I’m looking for a way to potentially scan through the images and optimise them instead. I could also maybe got through them by hand and leave pics of kit or reviews but there’s over 170,000 of them.

I’ll try and avoid full deletion if I can

Back
Top Bottom