What's new

Reducing an 18650 extension tube down to 18500?

MoodyB

Postman
Hey all,

I have a Digiflavor S Tube mod winging its way to me atm, but I'd prefer to be able to use it with an 18500 battery instead of an 18350 due to the slightly higher capacity and potentially increased length of the mod.

As it's stainless steel in finish, I was hoping there's some way to get the 18650 extension that it comes with reduced in length, and then have the required threading put back on the cut-down extension - either at the 'mod' end or at the 'battery cap' end.

To me, this sounds like something that I maybe could get done, but since I know nothing about metalwork I have no idea if it would be too much hassle, and where to ask.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Stu might be the man to ask but I suspect you'd need to send him the mod and a battery if he doesn't have any 18500's to hand so he can gauge threading pitch etc.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to be cutting down and tap/die-ing an 18mm stainless tube using hand tools. That's a job for a full sized lathe, as used in fully equipped metal work shops.

It could be done, but will cost more than the mod. Unless you have a mate that works in a Machine shop/Engineer. Are the threads on the inside or out of tube? Out of interest.

Hey all,

I have a Digiflavor S Tube mod winging its way to me atm, but I'd prefer to be able to use it with an 18500 battery instead of an 18350 due to the slightly higher capacity and potentially increased length of the mod.

As it's stainless steel in finish, I was hoping there's some way to get the 18650 extension that it comes with reduced in length, and then have the required threading put back on the cut-down extension - either at the 'mod' end or at the 'battery cap' end.

To me, this sounds like something that I maybe could get done, but since I know nothing about metalwork I have no idea if it would be too much hassle, and where to ask.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
Even if you had access to the gear you’d need. I’ll 100% guarantee you wouldn’t get it right first time. And you only have the one chance. Whilst you might be able to cut the tube, manually. The quality of thread, you’d need, just can’t be done with a die kit. (Well maybe someone with many decades of experience, might manage.) It needs a quality lathe, and an experienced operator.

Sounds to me it would be much easier to buy a nice 18650 battery to go with the 18650 extension tube, much less hassle with the benefit of a longer battery life.

Back
Top Bottom