What's new

RTA MTL: What coils & wattage do you use. And why?

BrowserUk

Postman
Title says it all really.

I'm still at the point of using the coils that came with my RTA and playing with the power setting (mostly) within the limits defined by my mods 'smart' mode; but I need to consider what to buy to replace them.

Eg. Currently that a 0.55Ω 26GA kanthal plain round coil at between 5W and 28W.

UPDATE: Re-wicked my coil and took some pics so you guys can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

upload_2021-9-17_12-1-54.png
upload_2021-9-17_12-2-33.png
upload_2021-9-17_12-3-12.png
upload_2021-9-17_12-3-44.png
upload_2021-9-17_12-4-10.png

Besides that the vape is distinctly cooler at the bottom end; and spits a little at the top, I cannot honestly say that I detect a huge difference.

I've tried varing the draw from minimal to max; and whilst it changes the rate at which the vapour is produced, I seem to automatically compensate by taking slower&longer or quicker&shorter draws. That's not a consious decision, just what seems to happen.

I've read/watched review after review of people railing on about how this coil/mod/rta more/better/subtle/complex flavour etc. (etc. etc.) and I'm just not getting it.

I don't give a fluff for how visible the exhale is; but I'd appreciate a little more in terms of flavour?

Any tips/guidance that goes beyond the individuals subjective conclusions?

Last edited:
Which RTA are you using?
I tend to use 0.74 superfine claptons in my MTL RTAs normally somewhere between 12w - 17w depending on the tank and the liquid in using. I start at 10w and then up the wattage till I find what works for me.
Getting better flavour from an RTA isn't just about the wattage as there are a variety of factors, the rta itself, the coil, the coil height, the amount of cotton, the cotton used, the liquid you're using, the list goes on. As for the coil it's really about personal preference I'm afraid and trying different wires till you find what works for you. It might be beneficial to post which RTA and a picture or 2 of your build so we can check if it's all built optimally.

I vape MTL at 13 or 14 watts. This works well for me with a tight airflow. Usually use standard round wire 27g kanthal wire. 6 wraps, 2.5mm ID. Comes out just under 1 ohm.

Which RTA are you using?

I deliberately left that out as I don't want to invite a bunch of "I tried that RTA and it was useless" or "Buy this A.N.Other RTA; its vastly superior" type replies.
One thing I have learnt from reading this and other fora, is that this whole thing is immensely subjective. For every person that swears by XYZ, there's another (usually several) that absolutely condemn it.

Frankly, I cannot afford another RTA for a couple of months at least (and I wouldn't know how to choose my next one, or whose recommendation to take); so I'm trying to concentrate on the variables I can change now.

I am also aware that:

- I'm using juice that I mixed yesterday and filled the RTA with immediately. The flavour may not have mixed well; and it has had no 'steep' time. Maybe things will improve over the next few days/weeks.

- It's possible after 50 years of smoking that my taste buds are dead. However, my never-smoked, cooking enthusiast wife usually defers to me to get seasonings correct.
And especially to help work out what's in shop bought foods that we like and she wants to replicate.

Beyond using 100% pure cotton with no fragrencies or preservatives etc. I'm skeptical about "the cotton used" (I'm still using the smallpad that came with my HellVape RTA. I see no reason they would supply bad cotton.).

The amount I can see affects things. I threw my first attempt yesterday away as I had packed it too tight and the wicking was very slow. Hints of dry hit if I drew too long, or in quick succession. Thinning the ends and stuffing the juice holes less tightly helped a lot. But I also know first hand that you can pack too loosely.

I just added an extra drop of flavouring to a pod (I have a couple of wenax stylus left from before I got my mod/rta) that had about 1ml left. I guestimate that this increase the flavour % from the recommended 20% I mixed to closer to 40/50%.
early yet, the extra flavour may not have reached the coil yet, but I'm not detecting any great increase.

I'll rebuild the RTA later today and post pics. See if anyone spots anything obviously untoward.

Thanks for your reply.

Letting your juice steep for a week for fruits and at least a 4 weeks for custards if you are mixing
them yourself. Then you will get the full flavour of your juice. :)
40~50% is a lot of flavour bud!

Getting better flavour from an RTA isn't just about the wattage as there are a variety of factors, the rta itself, the coil, the coil height, the amount of cotton, the cotton used, the liquid you're using, the list goes on. As for the coil it's really about personal preference I'm afraid and trying different wires till you find what works for you.

This part of Magpie's post is what I would say as well. It's all very subjective and you will find your preference by experimenting with different coils, cotton etc.

Also don't go too hard on the flavour percentages. Overflavouring will mute the taste as much as underflavouring. It just floods your taste buds.

I vape MTL at 13 or 14 watts. This works well for me with a tight airflow. Usually use standard round wire 27g kanthal wire. 6 wraps, 2.5mm ID. Comes out just under 1 ohm.
You vape like me

40~50% is a lot of flavour bud!
Gitchy said:
Also don't go too hard on the flavour percentages.

It was a tiny amount! I added a drop of concentrate to a pod that contained a small amount of a normal (recommended) 20% mix; just to see if I could taste the difference. With the intent that if the flavour was horribly strong, I'd just add more normal juice to dilute it again.

I've updated the OP with pics of my latest re-wick. (The coil was new yesterday.)
I'd maybe try pulling your coil away from the deck just a touch so the coil is sitting right above the airflow hole(s) as it looks a little off it at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom