What's new

*sigh* another pocket explosion

There's no reason a mech with a constantly pressed button should create sparks everywhere though, it would just heat your coil, the atty would get very hot, you might set your cotton alight and you'd feel that in your front pocket way before it did you any damage.

Those sparks are from a short, they have to be. ... I agree either loose or bad condition wrap in a mech or just a badly set up mech... or just a shitty mech.

Batteries can vent in seconds. I purchased a Dos Equis mech box clone early last year, Should have done a bit of research before sticking the batteries in without the rda attached luckily felt it heating up straight away and removed the batteries,
Found out later in the day the batteries need to be put in after the rda is attached or use button tops to prevent a hard short. Once the batteries get to a certain point regarding thermal runaway theres no going back and they will explode or burst into flames.
Keys in pockets really can be the shortest of circuits when touching the plus and minus and so takes a lot shorter time to start thermal runaway.

It`s just the Beeb fearmongering media machine giving the WHO, Big T and Big PH a quick nod to keep there noses brown.
Shonky reporting.

and if anyone knows Otis,tell him he`s a Chunt.

I would love more background on these stories, actual honest information to see what is really going on.
I know it is likely keys or a loose battery in a pocket, but when I think of how this would happen, the keys wold have to be spread apart to contact the top and bottom of the battery. Also, even in a hard short, things generally get VERY hot before the battery goes into thermal runaway/ a firework display.

I have myself once made a mistake, using an Abaddon dual parallel mech. It was entirely my fault, I do have memory issues and put the batteries in series.
Almost immediately, the mod started to get hot once I put the door back on, even without firing. I panicked, and got the door off, and this was literally seconds. This was enough heat to melt the battery wrappers and burn my thumb a little- but no venting.

I would like to say in that sort of situation I would drop the mod and move, I did panic though hence me getting the batteries out instead of lobbing the mod out of my window.

Due to this one incident I have had, and how hot the batteries get before a vent occurs (In Mooch's test for example, his safety cut off is 100 Degrees C! That is as hot as boiling water). I wonder why people do not notice the heat before things get to this level, which is why I would love to see honest answers on what really happened.

I would love more background on these stories, actual honest information to see what is really going on.
I know it is likely keys or a loose battery in a pocket, but when I think of how this would happen, the keys wold have to be spread apart to contact the top and bottom of the battery. Also, even in a hard short, things generally get VERY hot before the battery goes into thermal runaway/ a firework display.

I have myself once made a mistake, using an Abaddon dual parallel mech. It was entirely my fault, I do have memory issues and put the batteries in series.
Almost immediately, the mod started to get hot once I put the door back on, even without firing. I panicked, and got the door off, and this was literally seconds. This was enough heat to melt the battery wrappers and burn my thumb a little- but no venting.

I would like to say in that sort of situation I would drop the mod and move, I did panic though hence me getting the batteries out instead of lobbing the mod out of my window.

Due to this one incident I have had, and how hot the batteries get before a vent occurs (In Mooch's test for example, his safety cut off is 100 Degrees C! That is as hot as boiling water). I wonder why people do not notice the heat before things get to this level, which is why I would love to see honest answers on what really happened.

But are you talking about how fast a decent well kept and maintained battery can go from a potential danger ---> firework display? I should imagine not everyone is as careful about about their batteries as they should be :) Maybe if the battery is cheap crap, old, and in a poor state then it's possible that it could go from normal to pocket rocket in seconds?

As for 'honest answers' and 'what really happened'...that's what we'd all like to hear in the news no matter what the story is about but sadly it's wishful thinking :(

But are you talking about how fast a decent well kept and maintained battery can go from a potential danger ---> firework display? I should imagine not everyone is as careful about about their batteries as they should be :) Maybe if the battery is cheap crap, old, and in a poor state then it's possible that it could go from normal to pocket rocket in seconds?

As for 'honest answers' and 'what really happened'...that's what we'd all like to hear in the news no matter what the story is about but sadly it's wishful thinking :(

It is true I am talking about decent batteries, my mishap happened with a set of Sony VTC4's, they had been rewrapped by me due to small nicks in the wrappers. I don't now buy VTC4's as other batteries suit me better, but do have a few sets.
Due to the type of heat shrink being a bit more 'plasticky' than what actually comes on batteries when you buy them, I do not think the heat shrink would of actually melted on a non-rewrapped battery.

I do know that some people don't look after their batteries though, or even worse use unsuitable batteries for vaping. I do know that other batteries, such as ICR chemistry cells, can vent a lot more catastrophically than a IMR/INR a lot easier.

I do remember some of the higher capacity 3100MAH Efest batteries were ICR's that were good for 4/6 Amps depending what was under the wrapper, but rated for 20A! As you can see, this was incredibly dangerous, even if you used the battery within its rating on the wrapper.

I guess if somebody was using a damaged, crap battery, then things could turn worse a lot faster than with good cells.

Also, what you say is very true, it is not just these stories that are twisting the truth in the media, so it is wishful thinking on my part. I would just like to hear from people who have had accidents, maybe personally on forums so we can get a genuine idea of what went down. Obviously though this is dependant on the person being reliable, they may or may not want to admit they did something wrong.

I have previously seen that video,it is good for people to see.

This is why I do not fully understand mods going the way they do in some videos, most vent videos I can find of good 18650's are similar to this, with no shower of sparks, just a lot of heat and gas being released.

I do wonder if in these videos of severe failures, crappy batteries are being used, or potentially fake batteries? I remember quite a while ago (And still now is a popular cell), the 25R was promoted a lot due to being less likely to get fakes than VTC4's.
I then read a story of a woman in the USA who was jailed for selling lots of fake 25R's from a Chinese vendor.

We do need to ensure we get our batteries from reputable vendors, not just for performance but for if things ever did go wrong.

To be fair even when people do implicate the battery or their own ignorance of battery safety as the cause of these types of accident the media still manages to make it into a 'dangerous e cig device' issue rather than a 'mishandled batteries can be dangerous' story - you can't win either way.

Back
Top Bottom