What's new

Smoking to be banned in UK prisons

There's a high chance that they are addicts stealing to feed a habit (circa 39% of burglaries) and - we lock em up - sometimes send them cold turkey - and they come out and because we do SFA about them - go back to the life they left. It's expensive (insurance costs, prison and police costs and the burden of unproductive people) and stupid.
And that's related to them not having a cigarette how?
And still wouldn't feel sorry for them.

And that's related to them not having a cigarette how?
And still wouldn't feel sorry for them.

If you read what I wrote I said nothing in that about cigarettes - the point I was making is about how unsuccessful the British prison system (a) it sends people to prison who shouldn't be there (b) the re-offending rate for prisoners is too high. All taking away cigarettes will do is create more stress and a more difficult time for prison warders. It's not going to make prison more effective - the converse - so why do it?

If you read what I wrote I said nothing in that about cigarettes - the point I was making is about how unsuccessful the British prison system (a) it sends people to prison who shouldn't be there (b) the re-offending rate for prisoners is too high. All taking away cigarettes will do is create more stress and a more difficult time for prison warders. It's not going to make prison more effective - the converse - so why do it?
I neither know nor care
Maybe they should earn cigarettes by knitting.

I neither know nor care
Maybe they should earn cigarettes by knitting.
Oh go on - tell us that they are better off than pensioners - which is the view many in the Tory Party would like us all to hold - because it detracts from the fact that we have the worst State pensions in Western Europe and the cosiest tax regimes for the very rich. Piling all that on prisoners sort of keeps the messages away from those facts. A prison regime that is more able to reform, educate and train is more likely to prevent re-offending. And that can't happen when the prisons are full to crowding of people with mental health problems and nice principled old ladies who refuse to pay their Council Tax. Taking away the 'right' to smoke will only exacerbate an already bad situation.

I don't get what's happening
I only wanted to say a joke. Am I being told off?

Not by me mate - I have been burgled several times and know how pissing off it is. I just don't see how banning cigs in prisons is going to do anything good - the opposite in fact.

Interesting discussion.
Personally, I am always quite undecided on the topic.
On one hand, reading that for instance in some under 18 detention facilities they can get private room with tv and Playstation time gives me the shivers. Sounds like some get more there than they get home.
But then I funded most of my studies living in cessholes and working weekends and nightshifts as a cleaner, so I am probably a grumpy rigid bastard :D

On the other hand, if cigarettes makes you feel shit, which I believe, and feeling shit makes you more likely that you are no good, which I again believe, they should get them ecigs and house of liquid special reserve by the barrels :D

Prisons.. They are such a conundrum.. It's difficult to imagine a world without, with all the scumbags out there.. It's difficult to imagine a better school for turning occasional offenders into professionals.
Put someone promising in a top university for five years and he'll come out with that mentality and all the right contacts..
Put somebody promising in prison 5 years and he'll come up with, uhh, that mentality and all the right contacts..

Back
Top Bottom