What's new

Spaced coils

you could either get thinner gauge wire, or just ignore the resistance. it doesn’t make much difference with a reg mod, i find. a bit cooler or a bit hotter.

I'm just over cautious by nature and cause myself my own problems @zouzounaki. I keep telling myself to use thinner gauge wire but I don't trust it not to burn out so I always go too thick.

I'm a natural worry wort.

It doesn't help that my builds never remotely correspond to the calculators either, and don't get me started on DTL and dual coils, my numbers are so far out it's ridiculous.

It may be but it's exclusive to TCR.

+1 on doing an extra wrap each side and then pulling back.

Personally I always use spaced CC round wire in my MTLs, I find them to taste a lot better than closed kanthal coils.

12 months?!! I found that the only coils which tasted as good after a dry burn as a new coil were some handmade Aliens I bought when I bought a Kennedy, but then again they cost 15 euros for 2 coils which is extortionate. I usually dry burn commercial spool coils 2 or 3 times, but the taste goes downhill every time.

Well maintained coils will last months and months. Though Kanthal and Ni degrade quickly, if left unused with wet wicking, I’ve found.
How do you get away without dry burning. Unless you space them. Won’t they be hotspot city and not heat from the Centre out?

Well maintained coils will last months and months. Though Kanthal and Ni degrade quickly, if left unused with wet wicking, I’ve found.
How do you get away without dry burning. Unless you space them. Won’t they be hotspot city and not heat from the Centre out?

I don't get away without dry burning contact coils, but overall I find that after 1-2 dry burns they don't taste as good anymore.

All the spaced kanthal coils have done is to swap crackling for popping and spitting which is something I never had with micro coils with no flavor improvement that I can detect. I did look on steam engine at the build that I would most likely need using s/s wire and the number of coils meant that there would be quite an overhang beyond the bottom air feed on my dwarfs, so I`ll be sticking to 7 wrap micro coils in them.

The Ni80 dual fused claptons are for the bonza rda which is a new concept to me, I only paid about a fiver for 10, so if I dont get on with them I`ll toss them and seek the advice of an artisan builder.

Thanks to all for your help it is appreciated.

Humm, interesting. Is that with all metals?

Don't know, I haven't used Kanthal for many years, it's been SS for MTL tanks and Ni80 fused Claptons for everything else. I never pulse SS because it's always spaced coils and they don't need it because with spacing there are no hotspots anyway. I have a friend who's done an unhealthy amount of research on coil material and he claims that only Kanthal is good for dry burning while the other metals get toxic when you make them glow and change colour - he's primarily a TCR vaper with titamium though and occasionally mesh with Kanthal. He's also strictly vaping MTL so I don't think he ever used a Clapton coil of any sort.

Back
Top Bottom