What's new

Squonking, some general questions + best Ohm coils.

Hi

My style of vaping is squonking, i have 2 squonk mods that i use which are the Geekvape Gbox which is a few years old now since it was released and the Dovpo Topside Dual which is one of the latest squonk mods.

My go too RDA is normally the Drop RDA, the coils that i use are Wotofo .26ohm quad core fused clapton coils and the Wotofo .62 dual core fused clapton coils, i use bacon cotton and various makes of juice etc. I'd say that my level of knowledge is reasonable, i'm not a newbie but i'm certainly not an expert hence the questions.

I have a couple of questions.:

1. Why does the flavour taste better on the Gbox squonker compared to the Topside Dual, if i use the exact same tank and just swap it from the Gbox to the Topisde the flavour tastes better on the Gbox, can a mod make so much difference, the Topside is newer as well as the Gbox is around 4 years old now since it was first released.

2. To get the best flavour from a squonker with an RDA, are you better going for a lower or higher Ohm coil, also what style of coil i.e wire type should i be using with a Drop RDA or any other RDA to get the best flavour and at what sort of wattage should i vape at, i normally vape at between 60 and 70 watts.

Thanks

The mod should make absolutely no difference to the flavour - its only task is to send the correct voltage to the 510 to achieve the Wattage/Temperature you have selected. However there will be a variation in accuracy so one mod may seem better with the same tank and build when both mods are set at 60 Watts and the other may seem better when both are at 65 Watts. No mod is completely accurate at providing a precise wattage and they will also have different accuracy levels when firing different resistance builds.

I would make a point of cleaning the 510 pins of the mod and tank combo because there is always juice present that can bake on and affect the resistance reading - if this happens it can noticeably affect the Vape quality. Cleaning the 510 and setting the wattage to taste, rather than a habitual wattage often gives better results.

When it comes to resistances for DL vaping it really depends on the RDA I'm using. With the OG Drop I prefer to use bulkier low resistance builds like dual Ni80 26-3/36 or quad core 28s in the 0.11 to 0.13 range and high wattage - but I vape it with the airflow wide open as I really don't like the lopsided airflow when it is closed down. With a smaller, more restricted RDA like the Lush+ I prefer to use higher resistance, lower mass builds like Ni80 28x2/38 dual coils at around 0.30 Ohms and it is perfect for me in the 50 - 60 Watt range, but going over that will quickly turn it into an oven. Neither build is better than another - I like the Drop for high power vaping and the Lush+ for more restrained vaping at moderate wattage - both give good flavour but they seem to excell in a certainwattage range, but venture above/below this and they are pretty awful - I find the Drop really mediocre below 60 Watts and the Lush Plush will quickly boil the juice and your mouth if you venture above it. For me, the builds I mentioned work better in different tanks depending on what power levels I intend to vape it at so I won't use large coils ,in smaller restrictive tanks, or higher resistance coils in high powered ones. A horses for courses thing, but no build is particularly better - just at times probably more suitable. Maybe.

Last edited:
@Crispycritters has pretty much covered it all in my view. An excellent response.

I’d just add two thoughts

1. The only possible reason for getting a different taste from different squonk mods is how saturated your wicks are. I always find the topside need less squonks than other mods to achieve the same level of saturation.
2. On builds, I only use single coil RDA’s. I find simple 2.5mm coils - mainly fused claptons for faster ramp up - work best for me. NI80, 28-3/36 and aiming at 0.28-0.30. I vape at 30-33w and get a perfect (for me vape). I generally find avoiding beefier coils that constrict space and need to be run at higher wattage is best. But it is, at the end of the day, personal preference and a matter of experiment to find what works best for you.

If you prefer to vape at a higher wattage you would want to look at dual coil RDAs (0.1-0.15 but remember to halve it and so you want each single coil to come out at 0.2-0.25) and lower builds using bigger coils(3mm probably).

Hope that helps!

Funny story, but I thought the Topside squonk bottle silicon tainted the liquid and it tasted shit, willing to bet @Banjostring will disagree as he bought the thing off me and I don't recollect him complaining about it, so in conclusion, some of us are sensitive to certain silicone bottles. I've got other squonkers that are fine, but definitely a thing with the Topside for me.

Chip/boards will make a difference, as some will say your vaping 50watts, and then a dicodes will be 50 watts and you will get 50 watts, other boards will be some where close ish to 50 watts. Ramp up time also is some thing to take into account, just to name a few variants :)

Funny story, but I thought the Topside squonk bottle silicon tainted the liquid and it tasted shit, willing to bet @Banjostring will disagree as he bought the thing off me and I don't recollect him complaining about it, so in conclusion, some of us are sensitive to certain silicone bottles. I've got other squonkers that are fine, but definitely a thing with the Topside for me.
No dodgy silicon flavour detected with the bottles for the Dual for me. The Topside SQ however has absolutely rank bottles. They needed more than one steep in the old Milton's to get rid.

The only weird taste I've had with a squonk was from a very old mod that had been left with some awful juice in it for years. A Milton wash for the bottle and tube didn't do the trick, so I ended blocking the underside of the 510 and leaving Milton in it for a few days. Cleaning it out with a cotton wool bud and reflooding it with Milton. It was a lot of faff, but it's made a world of difference to the flavour.

Back
Top Bottom