What's new

Stepping into the build world

Well it works :D

OK so I snapped a coil and its messy, but it works and I'm happy vaper.

It came out at 1.4 (was aiming for 1.2) and I probably didn't leave enough manoeuvre room to adjust.

However nice clouds and great flavour.

I'll take that as score 1 for The Mutt

(I was too excited to take pics of the wick and stuff but meh ..... )

Attachments

• 1415117647288.jpg
    1415117647288.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1415117664473.jpg
    1415117664473.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 35
That my first build :-) came out at 0.6 but jumps all over so gotta check the connections all ok , I'm new to building too but a tip I've been given is get the wraps as close together as possible :-)

Attachments

• 1415120473047.jpg
    1415120473047.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 34
The key to avoiding hotspots is to have your wraps evenly spaced, its pretty difficult for them to be anything other than evenly spaced if they are touching ;)

The key to avoiding hotspots is to have your wraps evenly spaced, its pretty difficult for them to be anything other than evenly spaced if they are touching ;)

I didn't literally mean touching lol you know what I meant

I didn't literally mean touching lol you know what I meant

My coils literally touch, getting the outside wraps to behave can sometimes be tricky but pulsing the coil and then squeezing it with mini pliers or tweezers normally helps resolve that. Don't squeeze the coil whilst your pressing the button ;)

I'll bring my coiling kit with me to the meet on the 11th and recoil a tobh whilst your there if that would help. I'm not that good at it and I normally balls it up when someone's watching but seeing it real time really helped me when I first started coiling. Somehow watching YouTube doesn't always give a good sense of scale.

That my first build :-) came out at 0.6 but jumps all over so gotta check the connections all ok , I'm new to building too but a tip I've been given is get the wraps as close together as possible :-)
You either want every wrap touching the next or none of them touching at all.. It causes problems otherwise.

Try with the .4 or .5 wire you have.. It's not as springy so you'll get them neater.

My coils literally touch, getting the outside wraps to behave can sometimes be tricky but pulsing the coil and then squeezing it with mini pliers or tweezers normally helps resolve that. Don't squeeze the coil whilst your pressing the button ;)

I'll bring my coiling kit with me to the meet on the 11th and recoil a tobh whilst your there if that would help. I'm not that good at it and I normally balls it up when someone's watching but seeing it real time really helped me when I first started coiling. Somehow watching YouTube doesn't always give a good sense of scale.

I found that no pics or video give a good sense of scale, seeing a pic ot vid doesn't prepare you for the actual size of a deck when you first see one. Granted, my first coiling experience was on a mini octopus :D

I found that no pics or video give a good sense of scale, seeing a pic ot vid doesn't prepare you for the actual size of a deck when you first see one. Granted, my first coiling experience was on a mini octopus :D

Oh got to agree there, everything was a lot smaller than I expected. And using .2mm on a 2mm is an experience.

My TOBH should be here tomorrow hopefully (if Royal Fail aren't too slow) and I have tomorrow night off work so will be putting some practice in (really will need more kenthal)

And even better if my batteries turn up and I don't have to worry too much about going below 1.0ohm

You either want every wrap touching the next or none of them touching at all.. It causes problems otherwise.

Try with the .4 or .5 wire you have.. It's not as springy so you'll get them neater.

I used the .5 I think and warmed it up first

Here is one of my basic builds I just put in my tobh reay for a night out. This is 0.4mm kanthal wrapped 8 times on a 3mm bit. I like chunky coils :D it comes out at 0.6ohms, if I were aiming for higher I would do a similar build using 0.34mm kanthal and a couple more wraps because I find the 0.3mm a pig too work with as it is just a bit too springy to make life easy.

Here it is before a good squeeze with my mini pliers

IMG_20141104_193804110_zps3qpl5crb.jpg

and after

IMG_20141104_194917453_zpsrv19lrab.jpg

and since you have one on the way here is it wicked

IMG_20141104_200055385_zpseoaukaym.jpg

I am not a super dooper builder by any means, I would class myself as very much still learning, but I thought a couple of my pics might help as I was recoiling any way :)

Back
Top Bottom