What's new

Sub Ohm heat comfort...

Airman

Hi all.
I've a couple of variations rebuildables and a recent gift of a Smok Procolour.
Between the various wire gauges, Ohm values, I cannot manager to get something that is 'comfortable' to vape.
I'm finding the heat a bit much. it also seems to ruin the flavour as I can't 'savor' it .. so to speak.
I have an innokin T18E Pro with 1.5 coils, that I can draw in nice deep flavoursome vapes but with the Subs, I can only give it a quick shot which doesn't give much and a long draw seems to just boil.
Best I've been able to set up is :
Dual coil 28# Kanthal 0.6 Ohms and mod setting of 20+/-
Single coil 28# Kanthal 1.0 - 1.5 Ohms and mod setting of 20+/-
that includes playing around with the air, wattage and the button time.
Even the Smok seems high even with the 0.4 premade coil.

I presume its just the way it is and you either like it or lump it ?
I thought after a few tests that I could open the air up full and draw it through but I seem to be loosing the fight between time and temperature.

Try turning down the Wattage. If 20W is too much, try 10 and going up/down from there.

It would help if you mentioned which atomiser you are trying these wires in.

Try turning down the Wattage. If 20W is too much, try 10 and going up/down from there.

It would help if you mentioned which atomiser you are trying these wires in.

Arbiter & Dead Rabbit. (Probably a bit on the power end)
Is 10 not a bit meh when some of the recommended values are ~ 50-60
Also I find too low doesn't do much for 28G. any smaller # and I can't manage the coils .. or my eye sight cant :)

28ga is a decent wire for MTL, but pretty useless in a DL RDA like the Dead Rabbit. 28ga single wire makes tiny coils that are great for low power MTL, however, trying to use them in a dual coil RDA won't work - a 28ga coil will only cover a few mm of cotton - the higher power needed for DL vaping will probably lead to a lot of heat in a tiny area that will burn the cotton and boil the juice. You need to use wider coils that will cover more cotton that can taker more power and vaporise enough juice for the increased internal volume of DL atties.

You should have better results with dual 28ga in the Dead Rabbit. I would use dual 5 wrap 3mm internal diameter coils (6 wrap is better IMO if you have room to fit them), open up the airflow and start at around 40 Watts. It may sound counterintuitive using more power when you are having problems at 20 Watts, but twin dual 28 coils will be larger, the increased amount of cotton/juice/vapour and airflow will keep things cooler.

I don't havde an Arbiter, so can't comment, but if its DL - 28ga roundwire will be just as useless.

Last edited:
Try a mesh RTA, they generally run a fair bit cooler at the same equivalent wattage to traditional coil RTAs. More flavourful too (in my opinion at least).

Thanks folks. In hindsight, I have no idea why I got the notion to go smaller & smaller and as per your post, it makes sense. I think I may have choked the 3mm 28 when I wicked them and then went off on a tangent cos I got burnt .. pun intended.
I'll try the 3mm 28 x 5 or 6 and maybe think about the wicking a little.
The day you've learned nothing is the day you've done nothing.

As I don't have a mesh RTA, I'll see if I can get this sorted first

Edit:
Dual 28 Ga 7 Winds 3mm ID
Less wick well flared ( I wonder was I packing it too much, although it did slide through)
Nom 34 Watts is grand but IMO needs a strong draw or plenty of air.
20W is fine for a long cool draw with 25% air. Flavour is a tad bland, but that's another day. 150% better :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom