What's new

New wire question

Deadanddripping

Postman
So I have a quick question about some new wire I've bought. Folks on here have often recommended ss wire so I've bought a few different things to try.

My usual build is 5 or 6 wraps of Kanthal 28 gauge or a Ni80 superfine fused clapton. Both always come out between 1-1.4 ohms and I've got that down. I like a fairly tight air flow, usually 1 or 1.2mm.

Using SS wire, that same build will have a really low resistance. I've ended up with 9 or 10 wraps to get around 0.8 ohms. And I'm not overly impressed with th vape, I can't get it right.

So to the question, do I use less wraps and just not bother about the resistance? Or more wraps to keep the same resistance? Do you need more airflow to get rid of the heat of a bigger coil? Or higher power? I'm more confused than I thought I'd be, figured I'd just throw it in my normal setup but it's shite.

Any input from the stainless and fancy coil crowd? Thanks in advance.

Personally when I changed from Kanthal to SS I used the same number of wraps and essentually wrapped an identical coil. Yes, the resistance of the SS coil was approximately half of that of the Kanthal coil - but the resistance is pretty irrelevant when using a fully regulated mod. The amount of power the coil needed to function properly was very similar - i may have adjusted up the wattage up or down a watt or two but that's it.

If you're using a mech then a target resistance is crucial, but when using a regulated mod where YOU decide how much power gets to the coil building to an identical resistance when using different wires is pointless - if you do this when using lower resistance wires you will end up with a coil that is twice the size you need. If you like 5 to 6 wrap coils then stick with it - let the mod's board do the heavy thinking.

Just do your usual amount of wraps and don't worry about the resistance.

BTW resistance is futile

oorrfy8c9hb01.gif

Just do your usual amount of wraps and don't worry about the resistance.

This.... providing you are using a regulated mod. Just make a coil of suitable size, the resistance doesn't really matter.

Until I looked at my mod just then I didn't even know what my resistance or wattage was.

There's no need to over think it... or in my case think about it at all. :D

Out of interest what’s the benefits of a SS coil? I’ve always used Kanthal wire but I do have some SS wire lying around - tried a build with it once but was confused when the resistance came out really low when just doing 6 wraps which is what I’d normally do with my Kanthal wire!

Reading the above comments though maybe I’ll give the SS another try, but just curious as to the benefits of using it.

Out of interest what’s the benefits of a SS coil? I’ve always used Kanthal wire but I do have some SS wire lying around - tried a build with it once but was confused when the resistance came out really low when just doing 6 wraps which is what I’d normally do with my Kanthal wire!

Reading the above comments though maybe I’ll give the SS another try, but just curious as to the benefits of using it.

I find SS to improve fruit and soda flavours - if I compare the flavour of a fruit or soda juice using an SS and a Kanthal coil I get the impression the Kanthal coil needs either cleaning or a cotton change as the flavour seems to have something missing. With desert flavours I prefer to stick with Kanthal. I don't vape tobacco flavours so don't know.

Back
Top Bottom