What's new

New wire question

True, he never did state what wire he's using. I assumed he bought the same gauge SS wire as the Kanthal he used to use and added wraps to get the higher resistance he was accustomed to vape at - hence the cool vape because of trying an oversized 10 wrap coil instead of the 5 to 6 he habitually used with Kanthal. But, like I said - I guessed.

0.7 ohms you say - that'll be an RDL resistance then LOL

Bingo!!!

No you didn't suggest he build to an 'approved resistance', you offered advice on ways to build to the same resistance as he would build using Kanthal. Yes there are certainly ways to do this, but no valid reason to bother doing it - that's why I joked about an 'approved resistance' - this mentality does exist in vape circles though, and I find this parochial outlook, and comments like 'all you need is a spool of roundwire' (without mentioning type or gauge) or x.xx ohms is a good resistance for an MTL vape(again without mentioning wire type or gauge) highly entertaining.

If you are using different wires made up of a different alloy it will have different characteristics when it comes to ramp up tine and flavour production. If you know that a 6 wrap 28 gauge KA1 coil works well for you - you'll probably find a 6 wrap 28 gauge SS316/L wire a good place to start as you absolutely know that a coil of that size and mass works well in that tank. Although there will be slight differences because of the different composition and density of the metals used both will function at very similar power levels - you may need to fine tune the wattage, but any changes will be minimal. And - he's not trying to replicate a Kanthal vape, he's trying something different to see if it is preferable.

You can build to a same resistance using lower resistance wire, but this means acquiring more wire and hoping that the resulting physically smaller coil with half the overall mass provides as good a vape as the one that you already know does work - it may work, but given a choice between something that may work and something that you already know does work I'll take the 'that does' option every time

It strikes me as much easier to recognise that going out of your way to build to a resistance that you know works with Kanthal when you know you are using a completely different lower resistance wire is pointless. The resistance is only one part of the Voltage/Resistance/Amps trio that determine the power sent to the coil - as regulated mods automatically adjust the Voltage and Amps based on the Wattage you select and the Resistance of the coil, you'll find the physical size of the coil, the airflow and the wattage has the biggest affect on the vape quality. Unless you're using a mech the resistance doesn't matter as long as it is in the range the mod will fire at.
In the last couple of sentences of this post you may have hit on a possible solution in that by reducing the number of wraps he brought all of the coil within the influence of the air flow and got a better vape.

In the last couple of sentences of this post you may have hit on a possible solution in that by reducing the number of wraps he brought all of the coil within the influence of the air flow and got a better vape.

Possibly. But I thought that Resistance Horse needed an extra flogging so missed the chance.

i think it’s more likely he just had too much wire and not enough power. remember the air in low power atties is just a wee tiny hole, 1mm or so.

Back
Top Bottom