What's new

New wire question

You think overall size/mass of a coil is of little importance - I don't. Agree to disagree and all that bollocks.

I find MTL claptons (preferably dual 30 gauge Ni80 or SS) do give increased vapour production (and for my preference better flavour) than a single thin wire (and I also realise that a thin wire wrapped in an even thinner wire isn't a thick wire), but I seldom vape anything other than fruits flavours so I can't give an opinion on other flavour profiles - except maybe bakeries/deserts - for my tastes the slightly grungy taste of Kanthal round-wire seems to work really well with them. Haven't got a clue about tobacco flavours as I avoid them.

I have somehow overcome the wrongness of not habitually vaping in the team Kanthal Round-wire approved resistance range but manage to achieve a vape that suits me. I also have embraced the advancements in mod circuitry and functionality and realise that it hasn't been 2011 for a long time. But were all different I suppose and, fortunately, there is a wide choice of wire materials types to cater for everyone,

Last edited:
You think overall size/mass of a coil is of little importance - I don't. Agree to disagree and all that bollocks.

I find MTL claptons (preferably dual 30 gauge Ni80 or SS) do give increased vapour production (and for my preference better flavour) than a single thin wire, but I seldom vape anything other than fruits flavours so I can't give an opinion on other flavour profiles - except maybe bakeries/deserts - for my tastes the slightly grungy taste of Kanthal round-wire seems to work really well with them. Haven't got a clue about tobacco flavours as I avoid them.

I have somehow overcome the wrongness of not habitually vaping in the team Kanthal Round-wire approved resistance range but manage to achieve a vape that suits me. I also have embraced the advancements in mod circuitry and functionality and realise that it hasn't been 2011 for a long time. But were all different I suppose and, fortunately, there is a wide choice of wire materials types to cater for everyone,

I've got tanks that I cannot get a decent flavour out of using round wire but absolutely sing with a mtl fused clapton. So there is definitely a difference. Or maybe they are just easier for a shitty builder to get working, I don't know!

I only vape tobacco, vanilla, coffee or a combination of the above. Never tried a fruit in a rebuildable so I don't know the difference either.

The main purpose of this thread was me exploring the varied range of wire possibilities but I had no idea how to use them. And we had some fun on the way. So it's all good :2thumbsup:

I find MTL claptons (preferably dual 30 gauge Ni80 or SS) do give increased vapour production (and for my preference better flavour) than a single thin wire (and I also realise that a thin wire wrapped in an even thinner wire isn't a thick wire), but I seldom vape anything other than fruits flavours so I can't give an opinion on other flavour profiles - except maybe bakeries/deserts - for my tastes the slightly grungy taste of Kanthal round-wire seems to work really well with them. Haven't got a clue about tobacco flavours as I avoid them.

no, i think it is very important. i tiny coil at 50 watts will burn your throat off. and a giant one at 10 watts won’t do anything.

but what i think is, in the small range of getting a good low power puff, between the few watts, or few differences of wire gauge, or few wraps of a coil, more isn’t always better. for example, @Deadanddripping got better results with less wraps.

no, i think it is very important. i tiny coil at 50 watts will burn your throat off. and a giant one at 10 watts won’t do anything.

but what i think is, in the small range of getting a good low power puff, between the few watts, or few differences of wire gauge, or few wraps of a coil, more isn’t always better. for example, @Deadanddripping got better results with less wraps.

Yeah I realise I fucked up my first post which is why you two started off at odds. I said that I threw in my standard build with stainless and it was shit. Thats why you said i need a thinner wire i think. But what I meant was I threw in my standard settings of 14W @ 1 ohm, which meant 9 or 10 wraps. Earlier in the post I said I'd tried matching resistance. So I was being confusing from the off! Sorry!

But it was shit! I'll be sticking with 5 or 6 wraps to get that short sharp blast that suits my vape style. Maybe I'll look at thinner wire next time I need more, probably a few years time :D

You're a bit confused mate - he got better results by using the same number of wraps with SS that he would normally use when using Kanthal. The mistake was to doggedly stick to the same resistance when using SS316, added extra wraps to achieve a specific 'approved resistance' and ended up trying to vape a coil with twice the mass that didn't work.

This highlights two things-

1. Building to the same resistance with different wires is pointless, UNLESS you're building for a mech mod.
2. The mass of the coil is very important. Going too large or too small will cause problems.

Of course smaller thinner wire could have been used to build to a specific resistance, but what would be the point after discovering that doggedly sticking to a resistance that works with a wire he isn't using is pointless.

Last edited:
You're a bit confused mate - he got better results by using the same number of wraps with SS that he would normally use when using Kanthal. The mistake was to doggedly stick to the same resistance when using SS316, added extra wraps to achieve a specific 'approved resistance' and ended up trying to vape a coil with twice the mass that didn't work.

This highlights two things-

1. Building to the same resistance with different wires is pointless, UNLESS you're building for a mech mod.
2. The mass of the coil is very important. Going too large or too small will cause problems.

Of course smaller thinner wire could have been used to build to a specific resistance, but what would be the point after discovering that doggedly sticking to a resistance that works with a wire he isn't using is pointless.

i maybe was confused by the sequence of @Deadanddripping ’s events, as he explains above. but i think you are also confused. i’ve not suggested he should use an “approved resistance”. only that one reason his build was shit could be that lower resistance of the ss made it cooler than he is used to with the same power, and suggested he get some thinner wire.

i maybe was confused by the sequence of @Deadanddripping ’s events, as he explains above. but i think you are also confused. i’ve not suggested he should use an “approved resistance”. only that one reason his build was shit could be that lower resistance of the ss made it cooler than he is used to with the same power, and suggested he get some thinner wire.

No you didn't suggest he build to an 'approved resistance', you offered advice on ways to build to the same resistance as he would build using Kanthal. Yes there are certainly ways to do this, but no valid reason to bother doing it - that's why I joked about an 'approved resistance' - this mentality does exist in vape circles though, and I find this parochial outlook, and comments like 'all you need is a spool of roundwire' (without mentioning type or gauge) or x.xx ohms is a good resistance for an MTL vape(again without mentioning wire type or gauge) highly entertaining.

If you are using different wires made up of a different alloy it will have different characteristics when it comes to ramp up tine and flavour production. If you know that a 6 wrap 28 gauge KA1 coil works well for you - you'll probably find a 6 wrap 28 gauge SS316/L wire a good place to start as you absolutely know that a coil of that size and mass works well in that tank. Although there will be slight differences because of the different composition and density of the metals used both will function at very similar power levels - you may need to fine tune the wattage, but any changes will be minimal. And - he's not trying to replicate a Kanthal vape, he's trying something different to see if it is preferable.

You can build to a same resistance using lower resistance wire, but this means acquiring more wire and hoping that the resulting physically smaller coil with half the overall mass provides as good a vape as the one that you already know does work - it may work, but given a choice between something that may work and something that you already know does work I'll take the 'that does' option every time

It strikes me as much easier to recognise that going out of your way to build to a resistance that you know works with Kanthal when you know you are using a completely different lower resistance wire is pointless. The resistance is only one part of the Voltage/Resistance/Amps trio that determine the power sent to the coil - as regulated mods automatically adjust the Voltage and Amps based on the Wattage you select and the Resistance of the coil, you'll find the physical size of the coil, the airflow and the wattage has the biggest affect on the vape quality. Unless you're using a mech the resistance doesn't matter as long as it is in the range the mod will fire at.

No you didn't suggest he build to an 'approved resistance', you offered advice on ways to build to the same resistance as he would build using Kanthal. Yes there are certainly ways to do this, but no valid reason to bother doing it - that's why I joked about an 'approved resistance' - this mentality does exist in vape circles though, and I find this parochial outlook, and comments like 'all you need is a spool of roundwire' (without mentioning type or gauge) or x.xx ohms is a good resistance for an MTL vape(again without mentioning wire type or gauge) highly entertaining.

If you are using different wires made up of a different alloy it will have different characteristics when it comes to ramp up tine and flavour production. If you know that a 6 wrap 28 gauge KA1 coil works well for you - you'll probably find a 6 wrap 28 gauge SS316/L wire a good place to start as you absolutely know that a coil of that size and mass works well in that tank. Although there will be slight differences because of the different composition and density of the metals used both will function at very similar power levels - you may need to fine tune the wattage, but any changes will be minimal. And - he's not trying to replicate a Kanthal vape, he's trying something different to see if it is preferable.

You can build to a same resistance using lower resistance wire, but this means acquiring more wire and hoping that the resulting physically smaller coil with half the overall mass provides as good a vape as the one that you already know does work - it may work, but given a choice between something that may work and something that you already know does work I'll take the 'that does' option every time

It strikes me as much easier to recognise that going out of your way to build to a resistance that you know works with Kanthal when you know you are using a completely different lower resistance wire is pointless. The resistance is only one part of the Voltage/Resistance/Amps trio that determine the power sent to the coil - as regulated mods automatically adjust the Voltage and Amps based on the Wattage you select and the Resistance of the coil, you'll find the physical size of the coil, the airflow and the wattage has the biggest affect on the vape quality. Unless you're using a mech the resistance doesn't matter as long as it is in the range the mod will fire at.

aye, but as i’ve said, based on the OP’s first post i thought it might be his puffs were cooler than he is used to. so i suggested thinner wire to get more resistance and increased heat. this is a valid suggestion. he could also turn the power up. but i think we still don’t know what gauge wire he’s using.

i just clicked the screen on on my mod, the coil i’m puffing just now is 0.7Ω.

True, he never did state what wire he's using. I assumed he bought the same gauge SS wire as the Kanthal he used to use and added wraps to get the higher resistance he was accustomed to vape at - hence the cool vape because of trying an oversized 10 wrap coil instead of the 5 to 6 he habitually used with Kanthal. But, like I said - I guessed.

0.7 ohms you say - that'll be an RDL resistance then LOL

Back
Top Bottom