What's new

Tips for new vapers

Best tip I have so far is;

When rebuilding your tank and fitting a new coil, after priming fill to about 1/4 full and stick it in an egg cup for half an hour in case it leaks. If it does leak you haven't wasted much juice and there's no mess on your mod.

Set this as a Sticky.

Brilliant Topic which should grow:worship::worship::worship:

In the current climate of high vg juices becoming more common on the high street. Check what your coil can handle. Don't take the manufacturers word for it. Check with other vapers, so Many problems come through super high vg juice trying to be vaped in tanks. Very few tanks can handle above 70%vg. Breaking news. Vape shops are not always honest about this. If your in a vape shop ask to try juices in as close to your set up as possible.

I know I have only been vaping for 3 months but thought I pass tips on so more likely keep of fags from my mistakes and f ups
1. If mod takes batteries make sure have spare set I spent eveing poping mine in out charger so I could vape
2. Have second option to vape from if your main device is out action so less chance running to shops by fags for nicotine fix
3. Keep spare coils and tanks so get the best vaping experience learn how take tank apart fit the coils instead of needing go vape shop every time you need new coil as b and m shop will charge more for coils than online
I am sure more tips will provide by more experience vapers out there who no more than I do good luck guys
Thank you

Yes the drinking water is very good advice, in my first week I was waking up through the night feeling as if my mouth was in a sand pit, I thought it was just the transition but it is thirsty work.

some of the most asked questions

2018 EDIT:

this has to go at the top of this list now as its one of the most asked questions in the last year.

Q - where can i buy 72% Nicotine for DIY

A - as of the 20th May 2017 it is now illegal to buy 7.2% nicotine in the UK under TPD law unless you have a trade account. what was readilly available is now classed as not for human consumption.
this question gets asked weekly and as this is a open public forum anyone can see the questions asked on google and the more its asked the more it gets bumped up and risks trading standards closing down said companies.
so in simple terms PLEASE DONT ASK.

GOV.UK Clearing up some myths around e cigarettes https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

What is steeping:

in simple terms letting a juice mature as it has just been mixed

cheaper suppliers mix small batches to order so it is a fresh mix and it needs time for the liquids to mature.

fruits need the least time so something like a week.

custards and cream based juices need the longest and average 2-4 weeks.

for instance a 3mg juice will be totally clear when received. after a couple of weeks it will have turned slightly brown. the higher the nicotine the darker it will get. after 6 months even 3mg will turn very dark and this is nothing to worry about.

If a Juice is pre steeped it will be mentioned on that suppliers website. if this is the case you are good to go as soon as you receive it.

how do i steep:

the simplest way is to just put in a cupboard in the dark. every few days give them a shake or even remove lid and gently squeeze the air out and then put back in dark.

there are various other ways to help the steeping process. some use an ultrasonic cleaner to give them a good shake up through vibration but i dont bother with this.

Abbreviations:

POTV Abbreviation Dictionary - http://wiki.planetofthevapes.co.uk/wiki/Dictionary

B&M = Bricks and Mortar high street store or Vape Shop (not the cheap superstore up north).

Online Juice & Hardware vape shops: recommended hardware suppliers can be found on post 5 POTV Vendors & Recommended E Liquid Suppliers

M2L / MTL / mouth to lung = vape style just like smoking. inhaling into mouth and then taking down to lungs just like a cigarette

this style uses mouth to lung tanks with low wattage (average 12-14watts) and also can use much higher nicotine upto 20mg but the average starts on 18mg nicotine strength. average coils used are 1.5, 1.6, 1.8. juice ratio 50vg/50pg or 70/30

D2L / DTL / direct to lung = this is sub ohming. style like taking a big breath in with your mouth slightly open. this bypasses the mouth and goes direct to your lungs.

this style can use much higher wattage to make bigger clouds but much lower nicotine average 3mg or 6mg. coils used 0.5, 0.25 or similar. juice ratio 70/30, 80/20
high VG or 100% Vg are best used in drippers only as shop made tank coils just cant handle the thick VG.

Shinyitis = a shopoholic who has to buy the latest and greatest shiny bit of kit. in other words almost all of us.

Dripper = these sorts of tanks you have to build the coils yourself. these are best known as:
(RDA rebuildable dripping atomizer)
(RBA rebuildable atomizer)
(RTA rebuildable tank atomizers)
more info http://vaping360.com/rebuildable-tanks-explained-rbas-vs-rdas-vs-rtas-vs-rdtas/

VG & PG = the 2 main ingredients to make e liquid

read here.

ejuice http://vaping360.com/pg-vs-vg-what-is-the-difference-and-what-should-i-use/

Fixed batter Mod = a mod with a fixed batter inside which cannot be replaced and charged using a usb cable which is usually included with each mod.

18650 batteries =
replaceable batteries for box mods. quite a lot of these mods cannot charge the batteries internaly so you will also need an external battery charger to charge these batteries. always buy from reputable dealers as these are high power batteries and saving a few quid buying cheap is not always the safest idea.

Battery Suppliers
The forum has two main battery suppliers who are both members and these are the only places you need for batteries and chargers.
Fogstar https://www.fogstar.co.uk/ (voted vendor of the year 2017)
18650uk https://18650.uk/

WARNING! DO NOT use a company called Next Day Batteries as they have been selling fake unfused chargers in the uk which are a disaster waiting to happen. over a 1000 post thread with all the proof can be found on here.

Regulated Mods
these mods have inbuilt protection and will cut out to protect the user if you use the wrong settings.

MECHS
or mechanical mods are for professional users only. these mods have no protection and a decent knoledge of ohms law is seriously needed before you touch these. otherwise there is a risk of it going bang.

Power Mode = Wattage Mode
wattage mode can use Kanthal coils or SS stainless steel coils. best for beginners.

TC mode = Temperature Control (for more advanced users)
a mod with this option must use Ni200 (nickel) , Ti (titanium) , SS stainless steel coils only.

if in doubt and not sure ask on the forum first no matter how silly you may think your question is, its usually not.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a Vapist. First of all a new Vapist and would like to know the best VG ratio to use on a 'Smok Stick V8'.
If anyone could point me in the right direction, It would be appreciated.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a Vapist. First of all a new Vapist and would like to know the best VG ratio to use on a 'Smok Stick V8'.
If anyone could point me in the right direction, It would be appreciated.

Hi Mike and welcome to the Planet.
all about your kit http://www.smoktech.com/kit/stick-v8
as your kit comes with the baby beast tank and gives great clouds i would say 70vg/30pg is the average we all use. 80/20 will work fine but if you are toking on it like there is no tomorrow there is more of a risk of a dry hit which is not nice at all. if you will really be going for it then 70/30 is the best.

I vape 4 in rotation an have several tanks to test different flavours.
I chain vape so always have a spare mod or battery. Also I like both mtl an also dtl, so the mod also depends on them factors.
Good tips Anyway, every new vaper must know this an +1 on safe batteries. I think new vapers should start internal batteries anyway, too many new vapers vent their batteries

buy an ohms meter and test your coils before using them , even new coils can have shorts

Back
Top Bottom