What's new

Vaping on BBC3

I've been thinking about at least 1 or 2 petitions that can/need to be put to Parliament to do with vaping, and thinking about doing it, but I wouldn't want to detract from the existing flavour ban petition...
I agree that the flavours ban is a noxious plan, it will in my opinion, be a bigger influence on vaping than any proposed tax.

Who is Clive Bates? He must be a very brave man if he is willing to go onto national tv and argue a point for which there is no proof either way.
Former director of ASH -

I have no idea whether he would be interested in doing something like that or not (but I suspect he would given the chance), but he is someone who is more than informed enough, eloquent, and articulate, in order to be able to do something like that to set the record straight about tobacco harm reduction.

I've been using nicotine for 50 years but when I started vaping in 2013 it worked immediately and I've never smoked since.

Former director of ASH -

I have no idea whether he would be interested in doing something like that or not (but I suspect he would given the chance), but he is someone who is more than informed enough, eloquent, and articulate, in order to be able to do something like that to set the record straight about tobacco harm reduction.
Check out his response to the tobacco & vapes Bill consultation -

e.g. I have never seen this kind of opinion expressed in the mainstream press -
In all cases, the welfare of adult smokers, often experiencing socioeconomic or other forms of disadvantage, has been ignored or downgraded. Yet this is the main at-risk population and where the greatest gains can be made. Most of the limited policy appraisal presented ignores the most important sub-population. The combined population of adult vapers and smokers is about sixteen times greater than the equivalent youth population. The government should have a single-minded public health focus on the main problem: adult smoking, and treat youth vaping as a manageable side effect of addressing the central public health problem.
The concerns about youth vaping are based on a naive model of youth risk behaviours and ignore the counterfactual in which some young people who vape would otherwise be smoking. Even among those who would not otherwise have smoked, relatively minor harms arise from vaping among youth – and their use is likely to be experimental, infrequent and transient, and vaping just isn’t that dangerous. Few, if any, will die as a result of their nicotine use, even if it persists for decades, which most will not. In contrast, relatively significant harms are avoided by youth diverted from smoking by vaping. No allowance is made for this latter pathway, which has much greater public health significance.

Former director of ASH -

set the record straight about tobacco harm reduction.
This phrase will have a different meaning to a vaper than it will to the WHO. My point is that he would need to know what the record is in order to present an argument to set it straight.

set the record straight about tobacco harm reduction.
This phrase will have a different meaning to a vaper than it will to the WHO.
Err yes, he wouldn't lie about it (like the WHO do).

Who is Clive Bates? He must be a very brave man if he is willing to go onto national tv and argue a point for which there is no proof either way.
Too verbose for me, but he pops up all over the shop advocating for harm reduction.

Watched it and it was obvious from the start it wasn't going to do vaping any favours and it didn't. It was focused on underage age vaping and illegal vape products so it should have been called the 'Truth About Illegal Vaping'. It completely ignored the fact vaping is the most successful method of giving up smoking and that smoking, unlike vaping, has been proven to be seriously damaging to your health.

Sadly it is apparent smokers who have given up through vaping are being completely sidelined and ignored and those who could still give up are confronted with the anti-vaping agenda this programme, others and the WHO are peddling.

Back
Top Bottom