What's new

Which steeping method do you follow

Which method to you follow

• Shake'n'vape (without steeping)

• forget it in a dark cupoard (time method)

• shake daily and store (agitation)

• Shake, breath and store (breathing)

• warm bath an ultrasonic bath, or similar (mechanical)

• Speed steeping (short cut)

• Other - please post other methods

Results are only viewable after voting.
When you buy a shortfill, I would imagine the majority of steeping is already done. I don't use shortfills very often as a DIYer but when I have, I have just chucked in the nick, a quick shake and they're ready to vape.
This pertains to one of my questions, do e-liquid steep without nic.
Shortfills come without nicotine and many say the steeping is about the oxidization on nicotine.

This pertains to one of my questions, do e-liquid steep without nic.
Shortfills come without nicotine and many say the steeping is about the oxidization on nicotine.
Do you mean does steeping only take place with nic in a mix?
That's how the above reads. I steep my mixes without nic and only add it a week or two before I use it. Yes, steeping takes place with or without it. If that was your question. I wait to add it in case I have made a mix I don't like and have wasted the nic along with the rest of it.

If it's one I can shake and vape I will use it right away, if not I will forget it in the cupboard.

Do you mean does steeping only take place with nic in a mix?
That's how the above reads. I steep my mixes without nic and only add it a week or two before I use it. Yes, steeping takes place with or without it. If that was your question. I wait to add it in case I have made a mix I don't like and have wasted the nic along with the rest of it.
Yes, that is the question. Many posts and guide directly or indirectly allude to this idea
breath the liquid to let nicotine oxidize
add nic right away before steeping
not including the time since bottled in steep time
Maillard reaction or caramelization is attributed to nicotine
juice is supposed to darken with steeping, more nice = darker juice
I've not seen any discussion on steeping 0nic

Yes, that is the question. Many posts and guide directly or indirectly allude to this idea
breath the liquid to let nicotine oxidize
add nic right away before steeping
not including the time since bottled in steep time
Maillard reaction or caramelization is attributed to nicotine
juice is supposed to darken with steeping, more nice = darker juice
I've not seen any discussion on steeping 0nic

To me it just means letting the flavours combine and chemical molecules blend together.... I do zero nic testers for all my flavours and they can change over the week or two that I always leave them.

some flavours seem to develop to be stronger, others fade over time. If that delicate cherry note almost disappears after 'steeping' for a week or two, then I'd probably add a higher percentage at the start, so after 'steeping' it tastes how I want it to.... or whatever, that's the only reason I do it..... I don't want my bottle of e-liquid to taste crap after a week.... using that same theory a slight pukey taste might disappear after a week or four also and leave your creamy custard tasting much better.

Zero nic liquids still 'age' ... for the better or worse in some cases, to me that's all that's happening.

it's interesting, despite all the discussion of best steeping methods and speed steeping, how many think that steeping is not necessarily always beneficial.

it's interesting, despite all the discussion of best steeping methods and speed steeping, how many think that steeping is not necessarily always beneficial.
I have 2 juices I love as a shake and vape and 1 I hate and can't vape after 2 weeks and the other alright upto about 4 weeks then they both get given away, then I have some I can't stand until about the 6 week mark [emoji5] as for normal steeping I just mix my juice and leave it in a cupboard in date order and don't even bother to shake it never mind all the other magical speed steeping others do because diy is so cheap you should be able to get in front with your mixing so you don't need to fuck about changing what time does for you guess I'm just lazy though [emoji23]

you should only breathe certain 'perfumey/ alcoholy' mixes like blueberry :puke: and definitely not the likes of lemon or marzipan which tends to fade to nowt really quickly without breathing anyway

I don't have anything I think is as good shake n vaped the same day as something that has had a few days to a week to steep. The quickest mix I have is a Licorice one that tastes so much better after a few days to a week steep. That I put the nic in as I mix it. But my custards, bakery, cream stuff I put away with no nic and give them a shake once a week till they are ready. Some I have to mix with other flavours I'll add down the track, like a custard cream on it's own for 6 weeks, then ill add the fruit flavour and nic 2 weeks before I'm gonna use it. Some I add the nic a week before use. The shortest ill add the nic is 3 days before. This method to me gives me personally to my taste the best results.
My fruit ones I give 1 to 2 week steeps. 2 they generally taste better than 1.
Have used alco based flavours and they did need some air time. Without it they were vile, but I don't use them now and I don't air any of my mixes these days.
May be why in some cases its hard to get a definitive answer on steeping as we often have our own preferred ways, mine will differ from others, and why it often ends up as "rule of thumb" answers.
Take the rule of thumb, play with it as you mix and find the way that suits your taste and style.

Back
Top Bottom