What's new

Why do some influencers who used to be in the e-cigs industry no longer do it?

Ah I'm ever so sorry I didn't realise you had asked this question too......

i didn’t.

but you stated a summary of the situation that seemed over simplified. i was pointing this out. i think it still is, even with your edit.

i didn’t.

but you stated a summary of the situation that seemed over simplified. i was pointing this out. i think it still is, even with your edit.
So my description of the difference isn't concise enough?
Just curious how you would know this seeing as it was you that eluded to not knowing by asking?

Why not start a specific thread on the differences?

so a high degree of crossover?

I think there is a high potential for 'crossover' if a reviewer becomes successful enough to attract a large following, but to sell out you first must have something worth buying which, for a successful reviewer it means a reputation earned through years of work to raise their profile/financial support via patreon etc. If you get a reputation for selling out you stand to piss it all away. Who gives a shit about Rip/Superdad today? and Zophie Vapes, Indoor Smokers if they're still around

In the case of a fledgling reviewer, or someone who has 'only' a few thousand followers (which can also take several year to gain) I don't see any point - they won't have the clout to demand much in the way of a fee, they may get free product for review but what kind of enticement to sell out is that to someone who already has loads of gear? Getting a couple of mainstream kits/pod systems and a shit load of disposables only gives them more product (that they may have no real interest in) to review, but it doesn't have much resale value.

A reviewer becomes an influencer when they guarantee a good review for payment.

Some may sell out, but hopefully the readers/viewers are adults who realise they are only getting someone else's opinion, that they may or may not share, and can come to their own conclusions.

but it can’t be as simple as that. for example, neither of your scenarios touches on the benefit for the reviewer/influencer.

Both may receive the similar financial benefit but they are offering different services. A reviewer offers an unbiased 'warts and all' assessment of the product. An influencer offers a positive promotion of the product that is presented in the style of a review.

Well I'm a reviewer, I detail everything I can about the product be it good or bad. Even tho it takes a long time to publish I do the reviews to help others with the information, help to build up the content on my website, hopefully offer a good service and do it because I enjoy it.

If I receive a small fee for doing them then all the better, it helps pay for the running of the site. If a product is bad i would say so even tho i probably wouldn't receive any more products from that company.

So my description of the difference isn't concise enough?
Just curious how you would know this seeing as it was you that eluded to not knowing by asking?

Why not start a specific thread on the differences?

it was in some ways a rhetorical question. but anyway, you don’t need to know the precise answer to a question, to suspect that an answer someone gives you isn’t the full picture, surely?

I think there is a high potential for 'crossover' if a reviewer becomes successful enough to attract a large following, but to sell out you first must have something worth buying which, for a successful reviewer it means a reputation earned through years of work to raise their profile/financial support via patreon etc. If you get a reputation for selling out you stand to piss it all away. Who gives a shit about Rip/Superdad today? and Zophie Vapes, Indoor Smokers if they're still around

In the case of a fledgling reviewer, or someone who has 'only' a few thousand followers (which can also take several year to gain) I don't see any point - they won't have the clout to demand much in the way of a fee, they may get free product for review but what kind of enticement to sell out is that to someone who already has loads of gear? Getting a couple of mainstream kits/pod systems and a shit load of disposables only gives them more product (that they may have no real interest in) to review, but it doesn't have much resale value.

A reviewer becomes an influencer when they guarantee a good review for payment.

Some may sell out, but hopefully the readers/viewers are adults who realise they are only getting someone else's opinion, that they may or may not share, and can come to their own conclusions.

yes, but there must be something in it even for the most honest and harsh reviewer. i don’t think that what reviewers/influencers get out of it can be measured only financially.

Both may receive the similar financial benefit but they are offering different services. A reviewer offers an unbiased 'warts and all' assessment of the product. An influencer offers a positive promotion of the product that is presented in the style of a review.

do you think that when a financial transaction becomes a factor, that it’s possible for a review to be unbiased?

yes, but there must be something in it even for the most honest and harsh reviewer. i don’t think that what reviewers/influencers get out of it can be measured only financially.

do you think that when a financial transaction becomes a factor, that it’s possible for a review to be unbiased?

In the case of a reviewer it is enjoyment of being involved or employed in something they are personally interested in, particularly hobbyist reviewers.

Financial inducements obviously can sway some people to the point they become unbiased, but it certainly doesn't mean that all reviewers will automatically be swayed by a wad of money.

In my opinion, a genuine reviewer should ALWAYS be unbiased. If a reviewer states that a product does something that it doesnt do then it will not do them any good in the long term.

Also a reviewer can only speak about what he/she has in front of them.

Back
Top Bottom