What's new

Why do some influencers who used to be in the e-cigs industry no longer do it?

Unfortunately there seems to be different levels of reviewers, ones that simply take the money and write up what appears to be PR or sales blurb with the hope they get asked to do more reviews and others that genuinely test the product and give their honest opinion.

I've seen many reviews written where it's obvious they've not even got the product in front of them, yet alone used or tested it.

Why does everyone assume reviewers get paid, it’s not the norm (and I don’t get paid). There are a few exceptions like rip trippers when he was at his height but then they’ve definitely strolled into the influencer/advertiser/infomercial realm.
I feel that being paid or not shouldn't have any effect on the outcome of the results. If the reviewer is just paying lip service to the provider then I can imagine after a while the viewer or reader of the review will cotton on.

I feel that being paid or not shouldn't have any effect on the outcome of the results. If the reviewer is just paying lip service to the provider then I can imagine after a while the viewer or reader of the review will cotton on.

do you ever get paid for doing reviews?

It would make no difference to the outcome of the review if I did or didnt receive payment.

yes, but i asked if you ever get paid for reviews. do you?

i think it is of interest to the discussion. no need to answer if you do not want to.

ok this whole paid or not paid thing is still very much in people's minds

i get three types of email

1. I'm the best reviewer in this country I have 10 thousand this, 10 thousand that send me your product I will do a free review I am really well known in the industry do you want to colab.

2. I'm the best reviewer in this country I have 10 thousand this,10 thousand that send me your product I will do a review my prices are competitive I am really well known in the industry do you want to colab.

3. I'm the best influencer in this country I have 10 thousand this 10 thousand that send me your product I will do a free thing I am really well known in the industry do you want to colab.

for me as a maker, it leads to nothing because of a key thing a review does not equal sales all it does is up your image I can do that just by using social media, but it does help. because it is independent so there is a market for it.

however, let's talk about that thing called tax that you pay if you run a business if I send an item to a person to be reviewed, I declare it to claw back the costs that still come out of my profit and I still have to pay the revenue. the reviewer should also declare all the items he receives as in

"You’re legally obliged to declare the financial value of any items you receive as a payment-in-kind, in your annual tax return. To verify the cost of the item or service, you should refer to your agreement from which it was provided. Be aware of this before you sign, and make sure you obtain a hard copy of the agreement. You never know when might need it in the future.

A word of caution too to those brands who are reluctant to pay influencers a cash sum for their services. If you ‘gift’ an influencer or YouTuber a car or a holiday in return for particular deliverables, as above, HMRC requires they be declared as income earned. The issue, of course, is that they may not have the physical funds to service the tax they owe. Ipso facto, this tactic might not prove quite as productive in years to come."

it makes no difference what the item is but it adds up because its not cash or a payment some people see it as "Why Bother" but the revenue and my accountant see it as different "if you went out and paid for it you would have had to of pay for it with cash"

I have no beef with paying for services but then a paid-for service requires a return on the service there is the problem you send the item for free or multiple items you pay say £150, the review comes back and it shit they got the name wrong what the product is, talked about other things the pictures were shite, then the video was dropped over music or youtube Copywrite and you find some trolls hate the person and jumped on and you get no sales..... you're going to be pissed. but at the end of the day if you review or influence and earn above in your day-to-day normal life of £12500 per year then you should pay Tax on what you earn in one shape or form when you do those reviews.

i think it is of interest to the discussion. no need to answer if you do not want to.
If it helps to clarify any m

To paint the whole picture, I've run a vaping website for the community for the last 7yrs,. Reviewing product is a part of that website, together with generating a suite of calculators, vape guides and news items to help others. I do this not as a business but because I enjoy doing it BUT it does incur costs on my part.

I have received payment on some of the reviews I've done before and gladly accept as it helps with the running costs of my website.

As I mentioned in my earlier messages, my review is my review. It covers everything I find out about the product from what I have in front of me. If something is not right or doesnt work I will say so. If I dont like something about the product I will also say so.

If it helps to clarify any m

To paint the whole picture, I've run a vaping website for the community for the last 7yrs,. Reviewing product is a part of that website, together with generating a suite of calculators, vape guides and news items to help others. I do this not as a business but because I enjoy doing it BUT it does incur costs on my part.

I have received payment on some of the reviews I've done before and gladly accept as it helps with the running costs of my website.

As I mentioned in my earlier messages, my review is my review. It covers everything I find out about the product from what I have in front of me. If something is not right or doesnt work I will say so. If I dont like something about the product I will also say so.

have you ever reviewed something in a negative light when you’ve been paid to do it?

for me personally, it’s obvious that financial incentives introduce the potential for bias. it’s a conflict of interest. it’s why organisations, boards of directors, governments, academic institutions etc have registers of interests, codes of conduct and suchlike.

have you ever reviewed something in a negative light when you’ve been paid to do it?

for me personally, it’s obvious that financial incentives introduce the potential for bias. it’s a conflict of interest. it’s why organisations, boards of directors, governments, academic institutions etc have registers of interests, codes of conduct and suchlike.
Yes, if I find something that's not right or doesnt perform or operate as expected or intended then I will comment about it.

Back
Top Bottom