What's new

Base mix

Look at the label in the pics I posted.

It's not just any cough mixture - although the very vast majority of proprietary branded cough mixtures are VG based they usually have many other, less vape friendly, ingredients.

Go into Boots the chemist in the UK and ask for cough mixture - the plain value range glycerol will be one of the suggestions.
@pdg
Oh, and I'm so sure the rest of the world will see it that way! As if!
Very bad advice to advocate the use of cough medicine as a vape base champ. But hey, go for it, post it all over the net. Im sure everyone in every country will know who Boots is and what your on about. Load up the press mate, thats what the vape community needs. "Cough medicine great vape base" Total fail.
:zombiemonkey:
And, I have never in my life gone into a shop, looking at cough medicine and seen the only ingredients as VG, ever! They almost all contain ingredients that nobody should ever, ever, ever vape. So, so what if in some little alcove somewhere in the world a simple VG is sold as a cough medicine. The world as a whole sees it as containing many more ingredients than that. Very, very bad in the sight of the anti vape world to me. Fail.

Last edited:
Very bad advice to advocate the use of cough medicine as a vape base champ. But hey, go for it, post it all over the net. Im sure everyone in every country will know who Boots is and what your on about. Load up the press mate, thats what the vape community needs. "Cough medicine great vape base" Total fail.
And, I have never in my life gone into a shop, looking at cough medicine and seen the only ingredients as VG, ever! They almost all contain ingredients that nobody should ever, ever, ever vape. So, so what if in some little alcove somewhere in the world a simple VG is sold as a cough medicine. The world as a whole sees it as containing many more ingredients than that. Very, very bad in the sight of the anti vape world to me. Fail.

I'm not advocating the use of random cough mixture - just a source of pure VG.

I actually intended my post to be a clarification of what was likely meant by "cough mixture" - but for the clarification to work the reader of said post has to actually read the post instead of latching onto one tiny phrase within it.

That's why I posted the pictures of the specific product too.

Did I even hint "hey, vape covonia mate, it's great"?

I thought it was a reasonable action considering that a person in the UK, on a UK based forum might just know about a UK based shop.

That was my consideration, not whether someone else might intentionally misconstrue my post in order to start an argument.

I've got much more fun things to do right now, but later on I might decide I'm bored enough to consider the "some little alcove somewhere in the world" jibe as xenophobic enough to warrant a response in kind...

@pdg
They sell is it as VG ... but sell it for its main use being coughs ... because they are a chemist and generally people going in there are looking to sooth some ailment VG coats the throat and lessens the irritation of a tickly cough

I know a lot of cooks who buy it as well for sauces syrups and ice creams etc

Last edited:
its not

I suspect the Guy is Using Boots VG

almost ALL home mixers from back in the early teens started off using boots VG :) - I know I did - it was the easiest and quickest place to get VG from

Yip I did once or twice, was not many places around back in the day, a wee 200ml VG from Boots came in handy

Last edited:
VG is sold in a diffrent pakages depending on the target market.
Cooking, cosmetics, medicinal some even for vaping. It all should have 1 ingredient only.
Since the stuff from boots is medical grade its probably better if anything than the food grade vg sold for vaping.

Regardless of what VG is sold as in the UK, given the bad press vaping has got in recent months, I am utterly dumfounded at the point proving, point scoring, proving one wrong, I'm right going on here. Unbelievable! Im shocked to be honest. Out here where every opportunity is taken to take down vaping, and yes you guys in the UK are just looking out at us under fire with your opinions, we are getting bans here, no nic in the country, online state vape buying bans. Other countries worse. You think we need the anti vapers locking onto "cough medicine as a base" for mixing!? Regardless of what you guys there use it for!? Really!? You think they are going to see it as harmless VG!? Pretty naïve if anyone does. Unbelievable! "Look what they say about vaping, oh vitamin oil, dont they get it, oh how terrible, they got it wrong" but yous then say "yes cough medicine is common and perfectly ok"
Well done!

Regardless of what VG is sold as in the UK, given the bad press vaping has got in recent months, I am utterly dumfounded at the point proving, point scoring, proving one wrong, I'm right going on here. Unbelievable! Im shocked to be honest. Out here where every opportunity is taken to take down vaping, and yes you guys in the UK are just looking out at us under fire with your opinions, we are getting bans here, no nic in the country, online state vape buying bans. Other countries worse. You think we need the anti vapers locking onto "cough medicine as a base" for mixing!? Regardless of what you guys there use it for!? Really!? You think they are going to see it as harmless VG!? Pretty naïve if anyone does. Unbelievable! "Look what they say about vaping, oh vitamin oil, dont they get it, oh how terrible, they got it wrong" but yous then say "yes cough medicine is common and perfectly ok"
Well done!

Calm down, fella, it's simply VG that is sold in pharmacy shops

To summarise:

"I met a guy who says he uses cough mixture as base mix. Surely not?"

"Definitely don't vape cough medicine"

"Gotta be a wind up"

"Unless he is referring to Boots Glycerin, which is just VG, is sold as a simple cough mixture, perhaps he's using that, which would be totally fine. If it's not just VG, don't use it."

"Yup, I used to use Boots VG all the time back in the day"

"You can't use cough mixture, it's got all sorts of other stuff in it!!!"

"We aren't talking about those sorts of cough mixtures, just plain VG, sold by the most famous chain of chemists in the UK, as a cough remedy"

"But the world is watching!!! You are advocating people vape cough medicine! Arrrrggggggggghh!"

"No, we aren't, it's clearly..."

"Arrrrgggghhhhh stop!!!!!!"

"Nobody is saying use cough medicine, just Boots VG which.."

"Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh! You are saying it's ok to vape cough medicine!! Idiots!!"

Yup Tazz, it's me again. Do calm down.

No, you cannot vape cough mixtures with flavourings in them. Nobody is advocating that. Yes, you can vape the simplest cough mixture, plain glycerin, or VG.

Even Australian doctors would say that Glycerin (plain VG) can be used to sooth a dry cough.

To sum up.

Can you vape cough mixture?

No.

Unless it's just plain VG, like they sell in the largest chemist in the UK as cough mixture, which vapers in the UK have been using for years for DIY juice, *AS IT IS PLAIN VG*

FB_IMG_1555974291765.jpg

Last edited:
@speedfreek67 - that seems a concise and accurate abridgement of the foregoing conversation, coupled with a perfectly acceptable resolution to the apparent ongoing problem.

If I could be bothered to find an applause emoji I would insert it here:

>×<

Back
Top Bottom