What's new

GeekVape Zeus X Mesh RTA

If you get hot spots at the edge of the mesh, the cotton is not in contact with it properly, as has been mentioned a few times.

Look at @andi52's pictures, see the 4th and 5th ones in particular. Notice that the cotton is basically just lightly tucked in to the wells and seems tight under the mesh, like it is compressed tightly under the mesh and then it's springing back out after the mesh.

If you get hot spots at the edge of the mesh, the cotton is not in contact with it properly, as has been mentioned a few times.
Well, that's how mine looked before I soaked it with juice. As I said, I followed his methot to the tee, even though I was close enough before too. Perhaps there's some detail of the process that I'm missing. I guess practice makes perfect. For now, I hope getting the right cotton will help. With Cotton Gods I find it really hard to use the right quantity. It's either too little, resulting in hotspots, or too much, resulting in dry-ish hits and muted flavor. I try to go for the "3/4 of a strip" rule, but it's not working for me. Let's hope the cotton is to blame and not me. Fixing my cotton is gonna be easier than fixing my technique.

The 5th picture is after he applied liquid to the wick. I have never used cotton gods so do not know the size or consistency of the strips, but maybe you are not using enough cotton or thinning it too much.

With my unity and cotton bacon V2 strips I use maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of a strip (width wise) I always work the strip between my fingers to get it nice and evened out (they come quite compressed in the pack), I then tear the required amount from the rest and roll it in to a loosely compressed sausage shape, roll up one tip very tight so I can easily grab it from the other side of the mesh and pull it through while pushing down towards the deck, it's kind of a push and pull process and hard to describe or show.

Once I have that in, I make the diagonal cut that has been shown/mentioned here, fluff the ends out a bit, not combing, just fluffing (I basically just rub my scissors against the ends, sounds kinda kinky), tuck the longer bits of the tails in, trim a little around the top and sides for neatness, then juice up and screw the tank on.

The 5th picture is after he applied liquid to the wick. I have never used cotton gods so do not know the size or consistency of the strips, but maybe you are not using enough cotton or thinning it too much.

With my unity and cotton bacon V2 strips I use maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of a strip (width wise) I always work the strip between my fingers to get it nice and evened out (they come quite compressed in the pack), I then tear the required amount from the rest and roll it in to a loosely compressed sausage shape, roll up one tip very tight so I can easily grab it from the other side of the mesh and pull it through while pushing down towards the deck, it's kind of a push and pull process and hard to describe or show.

Once I have that in, I make the diagonal cut that has been shown/mentioned here, fluff the ends out a bit, not combing, just fluffing (I basically just rub my scissors against the ends, sounds kinda kinky), tuck the longer bits of the tails in, trim a little around the top and sides for neatness, then juice up and screw the tank on.
That is exactly what I have been doing. EXCEPT one little detail. I don't roll the cotton into shape. So I'm thinkin that maybe I get strands of cotton that get caught and don't pass through below the mesh due to it being loose.

That might not be the problem, but the more ideas I get on how to fix this, the better. Thanks for sharing man!

PS : Is it me or is the spring under the ceramic block, well, springier on the Unity?

That is exactly what I have been doing. EXCEPT one little detail. I don't roll the cotton into shape. So I'm thinkin that maybe I get strands of cotton that get caught and don't pass through below the mesh due to it being loose.

That might not be the problem, but the more ideas I get on how to fix this, the better. Thanks for sharing man!

PS : Is it me or is the spring under the ceramic block, well, springier on the Unity?
Not sure as I only have a unity, but mesh is mesh and hot spots means the cotton isn't making contact or the mesh strip is distorted in some way.

So, lockdowns and all, I was bored at home, got a particularly nasty burnt taste from my vape and decided to rewick it with the Cotton Gods just to show you guys what I do, in case you spot something.

1) Placed the cotton below the mesh and trimmed the edges.
IMG_20201208_183420.jpg
2) Fluffed the ends from the bottom and did a diagonal cut at the top.
IMG_20201208_183631.jpg
3) Tucked the tails into the wicking slots.
IMG_20201208_183902.jpg
4) Juiced up and ready to go.
IMG_20201208_184108.jpg

I mean, looks good to me.

So, lockdowns and all, I was bored at home, got a particularly nasty burnt taste from my vape and decided to rewick it with the Cotton Gods just to show you guys what I do, in case you spot something.

1) Placed the cotton below the mesh and trimmed the edges.
View attachment 233958
2) Fluffed the ends from the bottom and did a diagonal cut at the top.
View attachment 233959
3) Tucked the tails into the wicking slots.
View attachment 233960
4) Juiced up and ready to go.
View attachment 233961

I mean, looks good to me.
Looks like you might have nailed it this time to me.

Looks like you might have nailed it this time to me.
Well, yes. And it vapes fine. But guess what? That's exactly what I did last time. I'll just chalk it up to the cotton being not up to the task if I get any more problems. I'm getting the other cottons tomorrow. Thanks for all the help and insight anyway man, much appreciated! Feels exciting to learn about this!

PS : God damn do these cookie/biscuit juices gunk up the coils fast. Before dry burning the coil when I removed the wick, it was totally black. And that's just 2 days of use! I like the flavor, but I think I'll refrain from this type of juice in the future. Gunked up the Unity too.

Well, yes. And it vapes fine. But guess what? That's exactly what I did last time. I'll just chalk it up to the cotton being not up to the task if I get any more problems. I'm getting the other cottons tomorrow. Thanks for all the help and insight anyway man, much appreciated! Feels exciting to learn about this!

PS : God damn do these cookie/biscuit juices gunk up the coils fast. Before dry burning the coil when I removed the wick, it was totally black. And that's just 2 days of use! I like the flavor, but I think I'll refrain from this type of juice in the future. Gunked up the Unity too.
The thing I've found with mesh, if you think you have too much cotton, you probably still don't have enough.

Maybe try turning the power down a bit, lots of heat will make the caramel form faster with sweet juice.

Mesh is a whole different animal with the wicks, wire coils less is more, mesh seems to be the polar opposite.

The thing I've found with mesh, if you think you have too much cotton, you probably still don't have enough.

Maybe try turning the power down a bit, lots of heat will make the caramel form faster with sweet juice.

Mesh is a whole different animal with the wicks, wire coils less is more, mesh seems to be the polar opposite.
Well, see, I don't know what too much cotton is. I haven't had an RTA previous to the Zeus X Mesh and the Unity, so no normal coils for me yet. Although it's in my bucket list, I just don't know which one to get. I'm open to suggestions.

As for the power, this juice I like at 55W. 50W is a bit meh, 60 makes it taste harsh. 55 is the sweet spot. Even on the Unity, where I can push the power without burning the cotton, it's not good at higher wattages. Unlike that Dinner Lady one, which I've sadly ran out of.

And speaking of it, I still get a slight hotspot on the edge if I take a longer hit. Screw it, I'll try again with another cotton, this is getting tiresome.

Back
Top Bottom