What's new

Russian 91% help needed

Tomlawrence

Postman
Hi All,

been running the russian 91% for a few weeks now, tried various builds and all I try have the same problem.

The first couple of puffs taste burnt, all other puffs (even if I chain vape are fine). Weird!

Any ideas?

I have tried various ohms from my current 5 wraps (1.2 ohm) up to 9 or 10, giving 2.2 ohm, on various watts also on my regulated 30w mod, all using 28 kanthal (the 0.3mm stuff).

I am using cotton, and I have tried a few builds on the net, including the one where you use only enough cotton to go to the channels (but not blocking them) as seen all over youtube, or the one where you have about 2" of cotton, screw the chimney on and snip the cotton just above the chimney and then carefully fold it back in.

my russian 91%/kayfun does the same every so often. the build i have in there was working a treat when i first built it but i do give it a few dry toots before i press fire button so i guess that help oh and wick the cotton before you putt he top on and fill it up that also helps me out

Do you prime the wicks before putting the chimney/chimney cap on? This should stop the dry hits at the start.

how do you prime yours to get no dry hits? I wet the wick up, give it a few pulses then screw it together.

Once together i give it a couple of hits with no power and a little rest for 5 mins, then run it as normal.

Seems worse since I lowered the ohms to 1.2, ill turn the watts down from 20 to 10 as i might just be over cooking it.

Last edited:
I do my wicks slightly different. I wick with the chimney off, wet with juice and then trim to size so that they just touch the deck, push them back so that still touching the deck and the channel is unblocked and then screw the chimney on. I then assemble, fill and leave a few mins

If you've tried different lengths of cotton, then maybe try different thicknesses. Looser or tighter in the coil :)

I think my latest build was ok actually and it was just me trying to give it to much power, on 14watt its fine, on 20w.. not so good.

The last build I did worked fine on 30w, but I got the dry first hits.

Out of interest what size kanthol are you all using? most i read are using .25? im using .3 so im getting less wraps, i might order some different cable so i can get more wraps..

I use 0.25mm im mine, but always do dual coils, if not tri coils!
One coil is not enough vape for me :\

My kayfuns struggle to keep up if I push them past 17 watts (on 1.3-1.8 ohm coils). If you want to vape at higher wattages then you may want to look into getting a dual coil tank with better airflow. The orchid is my current fave.

OK so can anyone point me in the direction of a decent build I could try that wont give these dry hits for the first couple of draws? something 1 coil (keeping it simple as not been building long), wire width and what your wrapping round would help!

Like a warm but not hot vape and something that will give decent vapor and flavor.

Back
Top Bottom