What's new

Does liquid go bad?

Sye56

I have some juice which I know is at least 3 to 4 years old, maybe more. Will it still be good to use?

Many thanks

I had this question a while back, and it is mainly about nicotined liquids.

If the natural colour is tinted (murky orange) and darker, the liquid should be okay, but I would do a knuckle test to see if it still has flavour.

Possibly not, depends on storage; it'll last a lot longer without light, and the colder the better but ultimately it'll lose anything you might want to vape it for, both nic content and flavour.

As the other responder said, the first thing that seems to go is the nic, typically the liquid will go brown(er). I have some that have sat for 2 years and still taste 'OK' but not great, but they didn't have nic in the mix.

As far as I'm aware no length of time will actually make it dangerous to vape or taste a drop of (I mean - debate about vape 'safety' as a general idea notwithstanding !); it'll just taste of nothing, or of something not very nice; and you'll get no nic hit.

Last edited:
try it and see if it tastes ok. As already said, it is likely the nicotine has lost its strength.

When nicotine goes off it tastes and smells peppery. You'll know. If you haven't added nic, add some and vape away.

Some juices improve with age, especially custard/dessert type juice.
I've happily vaped juice that was over 5 years old.

Timely Post @Sye56 :2thumbsup:
I found some NET Liquids that I had completely forgotten about, lurking in the darkest recesses of our Juice Cupboard which dates back to 2017!! Opened it up and took a very gentle sniff, then tried a spot on the knuckle, all good thus far, so then loaded some into an RDA just to test it. It's now in an RTA and going well. Amazingly, NO peppery taste from the Nic (Mixed at 5mg) and it also hadn't darkened at all!! Tastes delicious!! ;)

What everyone else has said.

Flavours can deteriorate and lose their potency over time, but it tends to be a very slow process and some flavours deteriorate faster than others. I have some 5 year old blackcurrant flavour juice - the flavour is very faint, but it is still OK to vape so I've kept it. I also have some Apple/Berry flavoured juice from the same manufacturer, with a similar BBE date which still has a very strong flavour and doesn't appear to have deteriorated at all.

The nicotine can oxidise over time - this, as well as causing the juice to go darker will reduce the nicotine strength. Personally I wouldn't worry too much either of these aspects and vape it anyway unless it seems 'off'. The nicotine may have reduced but this reduction will be a slow process - just try it and see - if you usually vape 3mg and your juice only has 2.5, or 12mg and it has reduced to 10 you probably won't notice. i'd vape it and not worry about it, the worst thing that is likely to happen is you vape it a bit faster.

If the juice has gone cloudy or it has a 'peppery' taste I'd bin it, but if it looks OK - darker is fine, cloudy means it could have something unpleasant like mould growing in it - and it tastes ok I wouldn't worry.

As mentioned before - storing your juice in a dark cool place like the fridge will help preserve it as extremes of heat and light, or doing something dumb like leaving the caps off the bottles will age it quickly.

Replied in your other thread.
Just open the bottle carefully in case that something sitting there may jump out and attack you ;)

the longer liquid sits with nic in it, it reacts with the flavour he molecules and produces nicotyrine. this improves the quality of it greatly and influences the body’s metabolism of nic, making it much more satisfying to puff.

there’s a couple of old threads on here about this.

Back
Top Bottom