What's new

First time RDA/RTA build questions

GrievenDank

Hello all!

I'm finally getting back into vaping after selling off my old mod and tank years ago, and dipping my toes into RDA/RTA builds. It's been a bit confusing for the last few days trying to figure out everything,so I figure I'd come by and run my questions by you all so I could avoid something embarrassing or frustrating down the line!

I have a Berserker 2 MTL scheduled for delivery this week, and an Aspire Mixx that I ordered Saturday coming probably mid October. I made sure to order some Molicel p28 18650s as the Mixx is an SBS.

I have heard that the Ohms of the coils you install into your atomizer aren't as important if you are installing it onto a regulated mod vs. A Mech Mod, but if it does not matter as much as so then does the Ohms affect the mod in any other way?

Also, any recommendations for Prebuilt coils for the Berserker? I plan on vaping the Mixx between 30-45 watts,once it gets here.

Have a good ome!

Hello!

Regarding the question about regulated mods - there's little to fear, the mod will dictate what's safe and what's not if you put a silly build in one. Most if not all regulated mods won't attempt to fire at super low Ohms. Of course if you fire it at far above the wattage which is sensible for the coil(s) you can burn the cotton, but nothing worse can happen.

No idea about the Berserker and Aspire Mixx, I have friends who love the Berserker though, and also love Vandy Vapes's mini fused Clapton for it.

For mechanical mods, I don't have time to provide a super concrete answer (edit: it became fairly concrete!), but it is imperative and critical that you do some studying on the following things, not to become a news story:
  • Ohm's law - basically how many Amperes will be drawn from the battery based on your build, and never EVER exceed that or Ohm's law may be replaced by Newton's law and the mech mod becomes a rocket aimed at your face
    • look here: https://www.steam-engine.org/ohm, if you input a resistance of 0.1 Ohm, a fully charged battery (i.e. at 4.2V) will attempt to draw 42 Amps, a Sony VCT6 battery is safe to draw 30 Amps momentarily, and 20 Amps at length, drawing 42 Amps will stress the hell out of the battery and you don't want that at all, so build appropriately. A 0.15 Ohm build is far more tame and safe, for example.
    • you need to measure the resistance of your coils before attempting to vape on them
    • stay away from any type of dual battery mechs before you're very comfortable with the above stuff!
    • Buy GOOD batteries, Samsung and LG are sure bets for quality
    • Look at how many Amps (A) are advertised, aim for 30 pulse/20 long draw
  • Understand what a hybrid connection is, basically that the atomizer is directly touching the battery. In order to use such a device safely the atomizer's 510 pin MUST protrude a good millimetre from the threading - there are countless pictures on the net showing what you need to be seeing in your hands
  • Putting in the battery correctly, the positive pole must be up, touching the atomizer, never down. This has to do with the potential speed and violence of a vent in case of failure, AND battery wrapping must be free of any tears or scratches, look below:
  • Finally, don't be scared of mechs, tons of us have used mechs for years without a hitch, but you need to understand how they work to operate them safely.
upload_2022-9-26_11-9-33.png

Last edited:
Hello all!

I'm finally getting back into vaping after selling off my old mod and tank years ago, and dipping my toes into RDA/RTA builds. It's been a bit confusing for the last few days trying to figure out everything,so I figure I'd come by and run my questions by you all so I could avoid something embarrassing or frustrating down the line!

I have a Berserker 2 MTL scheduled for delivery this week, and an Aspire Mixx that I ordered Saturday coming probably mid October. I made sure to order some Molicel p28 18650s as the Mixx is an SBS.

I have heard that the Ohms of the coils you install into your atomizer aren't as important if you are installing it onto a regulated mod vs. A Mech Mod, but if it does not matter as much as so then does the Ohms affect the mod in any other way?

Also, any recommendations for Prebuilt coils for the Berserker? I plan on vaping the Mixx between 30-45 watts,once it gets here.

Have a good ome!
Greetings and welcome to the forum.

First off, good choice when it comes to the mixx berserker combo, I don't have a berserker (yet) but I am a big fan of the mixx.

Couple things I want to let you know.

First the mixx is not restricted to 18650. You can buy for about £10 a 21700 battery tube which at rdl will give you close to an all day battery life.

And secondly, since the Berserker is a mouth to lung rta you may want to lower your wattage to 10-20 depending on the coil you choose.

Speaking of coils, I recommend something like a mtl fused Clapton like the ones from coils by Scott.

https://vaping101.co.uk/products/ha...apton-single-mtl?_pos=16&_sid=6c59a969b&_ss=r

Or if you are new to building round wire is easier to learn with and will give you very similar results in mtl.

I had a bad experience trying vv coils a couple years ago have they gotten better?
Might have to give them another try.

I'm on my 2nd pack now and use them with my Vertex and Pandora and they've been great, although I do find you need to space out the wraps ever so slightly. I also tried the Coilology SS316L 0.7 ohm MTL coils but wasn't a fan of those. I'm not a fan of SS coils in general though, much prefer Ni or Kanthal.

My 2c for what it's worth..... for the beserker at least, you'd be better off getting a jig and some 26/7/8 kanthal wire and building coils yourself. It's dead easy and you can adjust them as you learn what works for you.

Thanks for the help yall, much appreciated!

These are great MTL coils (the 0.7ohm versions, I haven't tried the 1.2 ohm)

https://bitandpiecesvape.co.uk/shop/accessories/premade-superfine-mtl-fused-clapton-coils/

Ooh I'll have to see what the shipping is for the Midwest!

First the mixx is not restricted to 18650. You can buy for about £10 a 21700 battery tube which at rdl will give you close to an all day battery life.

And secondly, since the Berserker is a mouth to lung rta you may want to lower your wattage to 10-20 depending on the coil you choose.

Speaking of coils, I recommend something like a mtl fused Clapton like the ones from coils by Scott.

https://vaping101.co.uk/products/ha...apton-single-mtl?_pos=16&_sid=6c59a969b&_ss=r

Or if you are new to building round wire is easier to learn with and will give you very similar results in mtl.

I'll have to look into that 21700 extension, it would be nice to have a larger battery on the Mixx as I tend to frequently forget things for my carry all. Any decent brands you'd recommend for those?

Sadly the only place I found to have the extention tube is aliexpress which can be dubious but it worked for me.

Molicel batteries are pretty good mid range and available almost anywhere.
Samsung 40t are supposed to be the best but can be tricky to get hold of.

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

First off, good choice when it comes to the mixx berserker combo, I don't have a berserker (yet) but I am a big fan of the mixx.

Good point about the wattage. The Berzerker tanks are more MTL so op might be better getting a different tank if they want to be vaping at higher watts. I had a V2 and, if I remember right, the airflow adjusters you get with it are plasticy so bigger, RDL/DTL coils could melt them. Plus the whole tank is more geared to MTL.

@GrievenDank you might be better going for a single coil RTA with a diameter of 24mm rather than the Berzerker if you're going to be vaping DTL. There are a few about. The oumier Wasp Nano V2 is decent and the Kylin Mini V2 is great but I'm not sure that would fit the Mixx as I think it's a little over 24mm.

Back
Top Bottom