What's new

Got fat?

I've just worked out my BMI for the first time ever (never had the remotest interst before!) and i always thought that i am a bit on the heavy side...but not much....but using a BMI calculator online...my 6 foot 5" lanky frame isn't enough to keep on the slim side it seems. 16 and half stones equates to a BMI of 28...so it would appear that i'm a fatty! The damn thing of it is, as a teen, i was rake thin at a 'mere' 11 stone, given me a broom handle look, which i hated! I actually quite like the way i look now, even if i am sporting a 6 month pregnant look...i still prefer my body this way!! But me doctor would probably instill the fear of god knows how many medical risks, as it would also seem that i'm only 2 points off from being declared medically obese! Christ! :eek:

I don't look look a fatty though! :(

Maybe..there really is a thing as 'big boned'...only that work for one's tummy does it. Ach...bugger it:confused:!

6' 5 too, don't worry about BMI go by the mirror & how you feel, it doesn't take into account things like bone structure & muscle

I'm about 15 stone & apart from love handles, I'm a streak of piss. BMI says I should be around 11 to 15 stone, if I was 11 stone I'd look like a famine victim, I've been around 13 stone & people were asking if I was on drugs

6' 5 too, don't worry about BMI go by the mirror & how you feel, it doesn't take into account things like bone structure & muscle

I'm about 15 stone & apart from love handles, I'm a streak of piss. BMI says I should be around 11 to 15 stone, if I was 11 stone I'd look like a famine victim, I've been around 13 stone & people were asking if I was on drugs

Yeah..i've often wondered how acturate this BMI thing really is...especially with regards to tall people. Taller people are going have far more bone density (and in my case, i also have a thick skull and a big head!), and like you, my 'excess' weight is only around my midrift. Legs and arms are pretty much how they always been. As for health....well, i have had a few scares over the last few years - suffered a few minor strokes in 2018 but thnakfully better now - and since giving up smoking, i feel a lot more healthier than in the past. I do a lot DIY in the warmer months too...so i don't think i'm that bad...maybe a tad on the heavy side. I do confess to a guilty secret though...i do like my crisps & sweets! Well i had to replace one habit with something else didn't i!!! :18:

Last edited:
I've seen how busy you keep @Deaf Vaper :2thumbsup: It does help, just being on your feet doing stuff, tradesmen are normally in good shape & they're on the toes all day

Sorry to hear about your strokes mate, I wasn't laughing at that bit

We all have our vices, you just have to try & keep them in moderation, I'm a bugger for takeaways but have to limit them to weekly or bi weekly, it's tough though, I really don't fancy chicken breast, cous-cous & vegetables for a Saturday night tea :17:

Bmi is mostly bollocks, when I became slim in 2010 one female friend said I looked scrawny, another person said I looked like a cancer victim. It's just people were previously used to me looking like a cross between the Michelin man and a hippopotamus.

I've seen how busy you keep @Deaf Vaper :2thumbsup: It does help, just being on your feet doing stuff, tradesmen are normally in good shape & they're on the toes all day

Sorry to hear about your strokes mate, I wasn't laughing at that bit

We all have our vices, you just have to try & keep them in moderation, I'm a bugger for takeaways but have to limit them to weekly or bi weekly, it's tough though, I really don't fancy chicken breast, cous-cous & vegetables for a Saturday night tea :17:

Ah..that's the other thing i've noticed since giving up the stinkies.....my apetite has increased a whole lot more. I can really eat now! So, to keep it in check..i only have one main meal a day...and i try (perhaps not that sucessfully though!) to keep the snacking to a minimum. Like you, i only have take outs maybe twice a month..as i do really like a curry! Fish n chips too, if i'm honest. But i don't eat from any of those amercain fast food places (they can feck the heck off!), so the brand new KFC joint (the first one i've ever seen as well!) that's just opened in the nearest town to me, won't be getting any business from me. I don't even do Maccy Dees anymore. It's all crap they sell, isn't it?! I'm not much of cook either...but can do the quick n simple stuff..and occasionally can set my mind to making a nice chilly or lasagna or spag bol or my personal 'piece de resistance' I can make a killer Cauli cheese bake, when the mood takes me! But otherwise i eat out of the freezer. The other thing i don't do that much of these days, is booze. I'll have pint or two, if i'm out dining for sure....and i certainly had quite a lot of booze during my week long canal boat holiday last month...but since then..nothing. Just not that fussed about booze.

The strokes were a bit of a scare (i put it mildly!) and it did take take a while to sort itself out. I think the smoking had a large part to play in that, even though i had just quit them before the bloody strokes 'got' me...so maybe that was one of those 'in the nick of time' moments. I had bucket loads of blood tests and gawd knows what else...but finally the doctors were happy that my body was once again behaving itself again! I ain't going back to smoking again, that's for sure...but now i need to watch me bloody collesterol now, dun i?! I'm not far off the half century mark....isn't that when it all starts to goes pete tong?! o_O

Last edited:
I've just worked out my BMI for the first time ever (never had the remotest interest before!) and i always thought that i am a bit on the heavy side...but not by much. But using a BMI calculator online...my 6 foot 5" lanky frame isn't enough to keep me on the slim side it seems. 16 and half stones equates to a BMI of 28...so it would appear that i'm a fatty! The damn thing of it is, as a teen, i was rake thin at a 'mere' 11 stone, giving me a broom handle look, which i hated! I actually quite like the way i look now, even if i am now sporting a 6 month pregnant look...i still prefer my body this way!! But me doctor would probably instill the fear of goodness knows how many medical risks in me, especially as it would also seem that i'm only 2 points off from being declared medically obese! Christ! :eek:

I don't look look like a fatty though! :(

Maybe..there really is a thing as 'big boned'...only that doesn't work for one's tummy does it. Ach...bugger it:confused:!
Bmi only gives you a rough idea . Doesn't take into account muscular builds. However, if you have a visible belly as you say, you're overweight [emoji6]
FYI..... I'm 22.7 atm. Classed as healthy weight and at 54 year's old I'm happy with that.

Bmi only gives you a rough idea . Doesn't take into account muscular builds. However, if you have a visible belly as you say, you're overweight [emoji6]
FYI..... I'm 22.7 atm. Classed as healthy weight and at 54 year's old I'm happy with that.

I wonder how long it'll be when being overweight is the 'new norm' and thin people will be the ones that'll be odd ones out?! We're seem to be going that way nowadays! I see more and more clothing adverts now for the larger person on the box in recent years.

Have to admit @Deaf Vaper, I'm a sucker for Maccies, I was straight down there when the double Big Mac came out :18:

I guess, ideally you'd have loads of raw veg around to snack on but I found a problem with that, they go off within days & I could never be bothered prepping them. I find so long as I'm eating every 2 to 3 hours, I'm alright, it's just a bugger at around 8pm when I start craving biscuits, I just have to not buy them else the packet gets demolished in no time :18:

Booze, I can go without, do like a cheeky ale but can go months without drinking any, it depends how much work has annoyed!

Oh, I'm coming up to 40 & it's a hell of a lot harder shifting weight compared to when I was 20, it used to drop off me in no time but now, it takes ages

I wonder how long it'll be when being overweight is the 'new norm' and skinny people are the ones that need to looked after?! We're seem to be going that way nowadays! I see more and more clothing adverts now for the larger person on the box in recent years.
As you say, I think we're there now. There does seem to be more overweight people wandering around nowadays.
Too much excess in the modern world and people drive everywhere and have to park as close to the place they're going as possible even if it means parking illegally/irresponsibly.
I'm 6ft and 12 stone and year's ago that would be a "normal" weight. Now!!! Some see me as skinny but I know how fit I am and don't need an hour's rest after 10 minutes of exertion. [emoji6] [emoji23]

Have to admit @Deaf Vaper, I'm a sucker for Maccies, I was straight down there when the double Big Mac came out :18:

I guess, ideally you'd have loads of raw veg around to snack on but I found a problem with that, they go off within days & I could never be bothered prepping them. I find so long as I'm eating every 2 to 3 hours, I'm alright, it's just a bugger at around 8pm when I start craving biscuits, I just have to not buy them else the packet gets demolished in no time :18:

Booze, I can go without, do like a cheeky ale but can go months without drinking any, it depends how much work has annoyed!

Oh, I'm coming up to 40 & it's a hell of a lot harder shifting weight compared to when I was 20, it used to drop off me in no time but now, it takes ages
I lost 1 1/2 stone in 6 weeks when I was about 45 year's old. Not recommended to do it that quickly. It fucked me up for a while. Tunnel vision, dizzy spells etc. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out I reduced my carb intake way too much.

Back
Top Bottom