What's new

living on the streets and covid

vapesmarter

Mod Maker
this is a hotbed topic

a lot of people see living on the streets as in tramps etc drunks, druggies etc as wasters lock um up etc

I can see that growing up and working in a big city I became accustomed to this and you learnt to recognise the different types of people but I spoke to lots got friendly with some avoided others they were just people

I've always had in the back of my mind that with a slip I could be on the streets and a couple of times I was close to that in my life

there were lots of reasons to end up on the streets some fell into drugs others escaped the situation they were in, but a lot was pleasant to talk to

I remember talking to a doctor for a couple of hours once in Bham he was very educated a lovely old bloke but had some mental health issues we sat on the corner and he spoke about diabetes which I was taking courses on at the time his story was tragic but he chooses the streets to escape

this story caught my eye

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-53751172

a lot of people see living on the streets as in tramps etc drunks, druggies etc as wasters lock um up etc

I don't, there are those I might avoid, just like there are family members or neighbours I would avoid as well.

I've always had in the back of my mind that with a slip I could be on the streets and a couple of times I was close to that in my life

I was homeless in the early '90s, in Brighton, for a few months, I didn't have to sleep rough but it was a close run thing. I was hit with being homeless, with a few hours notice, a black sack with a few clothes in, it was terrifying.

there were lots of reasons to end up on the streets some fell into drugs others escaped the situation they were in

Many people with homes fall into drugs, drinking, and fuck knows what, it's never really discussed, or frowned upon, because it's hidden - and accepted. People on the street, that's a different matter, or so it would seem, they're just scum - apparently.
Relationship breakdowns cause much of the homelessness, the starting point is not always drug use, or alcohol. But once on the street people drink to feel warm and use drugs to escape their living hell, most people will suffer mental ill health, no matter who they are, if one had to face that sort of existence.

Drugs, alcohol, madness, mental ill health are often symptoms created because the person has become homeless and is sleeping rough, and are most certainly not always the reasons why someone became homeless, as the Government would have you believe. Rough sleeping and homelessness is caused by a lack of homes. Or did people suddenly turn to drugs, drink, and become lowlifes, from 2010 onwards, when the coalition chunts and then that chunt Cameron was running the show?

this is a hotbed topic

I can see that growing up and working in a big city I became accustomed to this and you learnt to recognise the different types of people but I spoke to lots got friendly with some avoided others they were just people

there were lots of reasons to end up on the streets some fell into drugs others escaped the situation they were in, but a lot was pleasant to talk to

I remember talking to a doctor for a couple of hours once in Bham he was very educated a lovely old bloke but had some mental health issues we sat on the corner and he spoke about diabetes which I was taking courses on at the time his story was tragic but he chooses the streets to escape

this story caught my eye

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-53751172

Tell me about it.
One of my step half brothers (strange term, but true)
Has been married with a good job, homeless, living with someone, homeless, living in a hostel, moving to another hostel, homeless...................

We currently have an on off relationship.

My Mrs used to do a fair bit of work with the homeless in Bedford a little while back. Some of the stories she would come home with were heartbreaking. Perfectly standard, decent, run of the mill people falling on hard times through no fault of their own and others that had made one silly mistake were suddenly thrown into the homeless world. It made me realise how fragile our cozy set ups are, it could literally happen to anyone in the blink of an eye, absolutely horrifying. Because of what I learned from my good lady, I always try to help wherever possible, be it a handful of change or a meal or sometimes just lending them a kind ear.

The number of x service personnel that are homeless is disgusting, they have given service to the country they should be rewarded with common decency

The number of x service personnel that are homeless is disgusting, they have given service to the country they should be rewarded with common decency
Everyone who is homeless should be treated with respect and decency regardless of what they used to do.

Due to this being an open forum I have deleted my post so as not to cause anymore offence to anybody else and will keep my opinions to myself which is probably for the best.

Last edited:
I disagree why should respect be given to to say a no mark junky who doesn't give a toss about themselves or anybody else, our society has gone down hill because of the concept 'we need to take care and understand them', fekum if they go down that path of self destruction then get on with it and stop clogging up the NHS. If someone is suffering from mental health issues due to conflict stress experienced whilst serving there county then they should be helped and understood and not left to go it alone on the streets.

What if that ‘no mark junky’ used to be in the army? What if somebody hasn’t been to a war zone, yet has PTSD due to being abused as a child? The number of people that are homeless in wealthy countries is disgusting, nobody should be left to go it alone on the streets, particularly in places where there is more than enough to go around. Your reply shows very little in the way of common decency :)

Last edited:
I disagree why should respect be given to to say a no mark junky who doesn't give a toss about themselves or anybody else, our society has gone down hill because of the concept 'we need to take care and understand them', fekum if they go down that path of self destruction then get on with it and stop clogging up the NHS. If someone is suffering from mental health issues due to conflict stress experienced whilst serving there county then they should be helped and understood and not left to go it alone on the streets.

What percentage of people that are homeless/ sleeping rough do you think are junkies then? What is your definition of a junkie? Someone who injects shit, someone who is hooked on prescribed drugs, someone on coke, speed, crack, cannabis, a piss head? Or is it more about someone who merely looks like a junkie, IE: "That person looks well rough, fucking junkie, I bet" Our society has gone downhill because politicians of a certain political colour and rancid rags like the daily mail and their media baron owners tell us not to care about anything or anybody. The politicians and rancid rags peddle untruths, distort the truth, they encourage hatred and division, they have promoted the destruction of and then destroyed the social systems that have been in place for many many decades, that's why so many people are on the streets or living in squalid temporary accommodation. No one is disputing that ex military personnel get treated like shit and deserve so much better, a home, a pension, benefits. Finally, are you purer than the driven snow? I know I'm not.

Back
Top Bottom