What's new

Mtl rebuildable advice

Mbsun

Postman
This is for my work mate, mtl has never been my thing.

I tried to help him out and showed him what I do, and what I do to make it cheap, and gave him some rebuildable gear, even though he came to me to build them! But didn't work, caning low strength juice at high watts wasn't his thing.

Appears mtl with pods is, as he has stopped smoking but its costing him a fortune.
He has this
https://www.vpz.co.uk/product/aeq-20-refillable-pods, which is 1.1 ohm at 12 watts by my reckoning

I can't get a 1ohm build out of my wire in the f##k pig I gave him, but reckon I might be able to 6 or 7 wraps on a single coil to maybe half that, so if he then used his geek vape mod at around 24 watts and turned the airflow right down on the fp would that provide a similar effect to the pod he is using?

Nope, you need 28awg wire and an MTL tank to even come close.

This is for my work mate, mtl has never been my thing.

I tried to help him out and showed him what I do, and what I do to make it cheap, and gave him some rebuildable gear, even though he came to me to build them! But didn't work, caning low strength juice at high watts wasn't his thing.

Appears mtl with pods is, as he has stopped smoking but its costing him a fortune.
He has this
https://www.vpz.co.uk/product/aeq-20-refillable-pods, which is 1.1 ohm at 12 watts by my reckoning

I can't get a 1ohm build out of my wire in the f##k pig I gave him, but reckon I might be able to 6 or 7 wraps on a single coil to maybe half that, so if he then used his geek vape mod at around 24 watts and turned the airflow right down on the fp would that provide a similar effect to the pod he is using?

If you mean the 30mm dual coil RTA called the FP then NO, you are pissing in the wind trying to get anything resembling an MTL vape out of that.

Pretty much every decent MTL atomiser relies on the air hitting the coil at pressure, even if you turn down the airflow on the outer air ring down to a pinprick you will still have the standard air inlet underneath the coil - and most of the air will just bypass the coil completely, and what little actually hits the coil, won't have any pressure so it will be a mediocre flavourless vape.

Unfortunately most DL atomisers simply can't produce a decent MTL vape - a good MTL tank not only will have a small, very restrictive air inlet directly under the coil - it will also have a very small chamber and a narrow chimney. The FP is missing all 3 of these...

Although the type of pod system he's using aren't the cheapest form of vaping - its not as if he's buying disposables as he only has to buy replacement pods which is still dirt cheap compared to cigs. Personally I'd leave it for a while - although rebuilding makes economic sense it is probably jumping in at the deep end for a newbie.

Cheers

Thanks for the indepth explanation crispy critters.
I know didly about mtl so that explains a chunk of the difference between that and what I do

Have to say, I had one toot on it with his 18mg juice, and instinctively vaped it as I normally vape, never again! Felt sick, coughed a bit, and haven't tasted anything like that since I smoked 40 roll ups a day and licked my finger! Bloody awful

The rebuilding won't be for him, he is blind as a bat tbh

FWIW, been recommending the sceptre 2 quite a lot recently. Under 20 notes, amazing flavour, well built mod, solid battery life, the coils last for decades (slight exaggeration), and a really decent mtl vape.

I shall pass on your recommendation

Any other recommendations also will be appreciated

Fwiw to avoid another thread

Eventually he is looking to scale it back, possibly in terms of use, possibly in terms of nicotine strength.
At what strength nicotine would the majority of mtl vapers drop to without starting down the line of direct, or restricted direct which didn't seem to work for him?

It really does depend on how much vapour you're getting, and how you smoke. A lot of MTL vapers get down to 6mg fairly organically, and then struggle to get down to 3. It definitely can take a while though. And plenty of people toot along happily at 12 for ever. I'd personally let your mate get stable at 18 and then suggest he try 12 and see how he goes from there.

Dropping to 12mg is probably the best option if he's currently vaping 18mg, or if he's finding his current juice is giving him a sore throat, maybe 10mg of nic Salt juice.

The best thing for him to do is a suck it and see approach - he's probably vaping 10ml bottles of pre-mixed MTL juice so just buying one bottle of each strength won't hit him too hard in the wallet.

I think I started on 12mg but I've been on 3mg mtl for ages now as it meant I could use shortfills and still am even though I mix my own juice now. I've always been mtl.

Back
Top Bottom