What's new

Needing advice for mtl coil making

smcolley

Postman
Im a MTL vaper and i'm looking into getting the Digiflavor siren 2 which apparently is very similar to the nautilus 2 that i currently vape. Ive been looking into it and i'm really confused by coil making. I think id be alright actually making the coils with a kit but i dont understand which wire i need for a decent flavour and a mtl tank. Any advice would be appreciated!!

I use either 28 or 30 awg kanthal or 28awg stainless steel ou could always use ni80 too i guess, havent tried that yet though.
Watch a few videos online. @Vaping Biker did an awesome one which gave me thhe confidence to start building my own. My poor little nautilus 2 hasnt had much useage since.

My standard mtl build for all my tanks is 27awg Kanthal A1. 7 slightly spaces wraps around a 2.5mm drill bit for 1.2ohms.

I run this anywhere between 13 and 20 watts depending on the tank and the juice.

Occasionally I’ll come across a tank where 7 wraps won’t fit and in this case I just drop a wrap to 6 (around 1 ohm) and increase the wattage accordingly.

Kanthal is the easiest wire to start with in my opinion. Ni80 has its uses, it heats up quicker and is lower resistance than Kanthal so it’s well suited to mechs. But if you’re just getting started and have a regulated mod I’d advise sticking to Kanthal.

Mostly everything else (Ti, no200, ss316) is predominately used for temperature control stuff (ss316 can be used in wattage mode but I think it’s less common than using it for TC)

If you are building for the first time I would recommend 0.3mm wire at a minimum. Kanthal or Nichrome seems to me to behave pretty similarly. I believe this is around 28/29AWG but I could be corrected.

Any thinner than this and you are back to the bad old days of needing to torch the wire to get it to stay in place.

My go to build is 7 wraps around a 2.5mm screwdriver with 0.30mm Kanthal to give around 1.2-1.3 ohms depending on how tight I wrap and the length of my legs.

Overall don’t worry too much about your coils if you are using it on a regulated device as even if it looks a bit ugly it will still work.

Mostly everything else (Ti, no200, ss316) is predominately used for temperature control stuff (ss316 can be used in wattage mode but I think it’s less common than using it for TC)

Interesting, I use 30awg ss316 always in wattage mode. I think it heats and cools faster than kanthal. 8 wraps at 3mm or 9 or 10 at 2ish mm.

Big help, thanks. So when buying wire do I need to select the gauge (say 28) and then the ID or is the ID when you create the coil yourself, eg, wrapping it around a 2.5mm screwdriver, does that make the ID 2.5? May be a silly question so apologies

Big help, thanks. So when buying wire do I need to select the gauge (say 28) and then the ID or is the ID when you create the coil yourself, eg, wrapping it around a 2.5mm screwdriver, does that make the ID 2.5? May be a silly question so apologies

You’re exactly right. The ID (Inner diameter) of the coil is dependant on what you wrap it round. When buying wire you mostly only need to consider 2 things. What is it made of (Kanthal, ss, etc different wire has different uses and resistance properties) and what thickness is it (gauge or AWG, the smaller the number the thinner the wire)

Thinner wire, higher resistance.

Back
Top Bottom