What's new

Phil Busardo's Rant.

@Muck777
I hear what you say, but it doesn't mean we aren't a community, we have more in common with the sub-Homies than we have differences. We all vape and we all love vaping. Even if we disagree with how we go about it and what it means to us.
No community is truly cohesive, but at the end of the day, we all stand to lose from the general public's apathy to our cause.
But I do agree with you on the other parts.

I've only been to one event, and at the moment it will be the first and last.
Vaping isn't about staying off the fags anymore, it's a fashionable thing to do, unfortunately.
Busardo says we should all accept these things as it's helpful to keep people of fags and attract others and prevent them smoking, this may be true but it's alienating a huge percentage too.
A new vaper looking for a starter kit and some advice would be sh!t out of luck with either! Plus there's so little hardware on offer they'd come away with the impression you have to blow huge clouds and look a knob to vape.

In my mid 40's it seems I'm either an old fart or I have nothing in common with the average avid vaper.

Of course in balance there are tons of Vapers who don't partake in forums so wouldn't even know about such events, and the high street is there for these people.

There, devils advocate, never thought I'd be that, but apart from meeting fellow apes I won't attend a second.
Vaping is ONLY about staying off the fags for 90% + of people - cloud chasing, super sub ohm builds + forum readers account for nothing in the grand scheme of vapers - we must remember taht

I went there to see Phil and Dimitri. And to check out new stuff. While I finally found Dimitri, I was very disappointed that they were basically appointed a corner and not centre stage. If I wanted to attend a rap concert, I could have gone to a better place!
The stage seemed to be totally underused, nothing happened on it on Saturday until after 5pm. Did a DJ really need that much room, and why was there a car? It could have been used much better.
There were hardly any hardware stands, and the Innokin girls were so unfriendly and they didn't sell until Sunday afternoon? Way too many Juice stalls, not enough other stuff and the main makers not present (Aspire, Kanger, Smok) or totally disinterested (Innokin).
The couple of hardware stands that were there, were very nice, unfortunately out of my price range. And why were these sellers so unprofessionally unprepared that they couldn't accept card payments and it was cash only? These are professional businesses?
This was the London Vape event. I did expect better.

Didn't make it to this one, but NEC, Vape Collective and Vape Fest are all possibilities, and maybe I'm showing my age here, but I would much rather watch a watch a talk from Phil and Grim Green than scantily clad women (I have the internet for that) and cloud contests (I could go into one of several local B&Ms on a Saturday afternoon/school holiday). Having said that I'm a firm believer that we should be able to do what we want so long as it doesn't negatively affect other people.

Maybe it's similar to Formula 1, whereby the F1 teams invent a lot of the new technology that then filters down to road cars. The new kit is pioneered by the cloud chasers, then some of that filters down to the mass market kit, for example RTAs and claptons for pre made coil heads. Just a thought. Maybe if it wasn't for these guys we'd all still be on cig-a-likes and CE4's.

Vaping is ONLY about staying off the fags for 90% + of people - cloud chasing, super sub ohm builds + forum readers account for nothing in the grand scheme of vapers - we must remember taht
You have a reliable source of these quoted percentages?

I'm 100% for vaping to keep me of the fags, the hobby side is a nice by-product.... I sub ohm, it wasn't I till I did the temptation for a fag always existed......now fags taste like shit and I can't get anything from them.... Certainly couldn't say that a year or so ago with a spinner and a pro tank...!

it seems 90% of the gear coming out is aimed at high wattage vapors and sub ohming, there certainly seems a demand for it.......

I don't do vaping to keep me off the fags, I vape, because I like it. I even smoke occasionally. Unfortunately after the 2nd or 3rd cigarette they taste disgusting, so it's not as enjoyable as it used to be. But while I like vaping as a hobby, I don't take it overly serious either and am just as happy to walk around with some Ego Pen device as I am with a sub-ohm-tank set up. But I guess I am old enough to not worry what people thing about me...Let's stop talking about it like some religion and get back to just enjoying it.

Vape Jam, I watched Grim Greens Video of it last night, and there are a couple of things that should really improve for the next one (if we are still allowed to have them):
- Vendors. There was too many juice vendors, not enough Hardware - there should be a better mix
- US Vendors. It was 90% US vendors, if not more. Cool to try new stuff out which we don't normally see in the UK, painful and expensive if you'd like to buy that juice again. I think they should do 40% US vendors, 30% UK vendors and 30% European vendors next year. There are amazing Greek Mods being made, there are juice manufacturers in all European countries, and this is London FFS. It is the biggest town in Europe and we should be representing these, not some US guys. Also there are so many shops in London and the UK. They are small, so they wouldn't be able to afford a stall by themselves. So go and share one or an area. Have the refreshment areas run by one of the many Vape Bars and/or cafes.
- Celebrity visits and the centre stage - get rid of the car and the rest that makes this event look like some cheap wrestling event. Put the DJ in the middle on an approachable platform, have music, why not, but have hourly events on the centre stage. No free juice at the stalls, get the visitors to join competitions, have dance offs, cloud contests, best/worst dressed, whatever, get the visitors to do something for their free stuff and also break up the boring wandering around monotony. Get the celebrities on stage every couple of hours - they can do talks, competitions, interviews, live judging, do a song, whatever, but acknowledge that these guys just flew half way across the globe to be here and be available and approachable.
- get the main manufacturers in. And get them interested in actually presenting their products, not just looking bored and eating chinese food. Have them on centre stage, talk about their future plans, how they are supporting the vaping community, what are they doing to comply with TPD, all of this to show they actually care and are worth spending money with.
- Stars like Letha Bizzle - brilliant idea! Yeah, not my kind of music, but they can't hit everyone's taste and he is big and popular in London, but have a band/singer on the Saturday as well, maybe ask one of the big manufacturers to bring some Chinese Band with them?
- Have breakout sessions - talk about interesting things, show people how to make coils, how to mix juice (Inawera and Capella were both there, they could have done juice making workshops), how to get organized so we don't lose the right to vape, how to blow smoke rings, so many things which could have been done.

It wasn't actually a bad event, especially considering the entry price, but it could have been sooo much better.

You have a reliable source of these quoted percentages?
How many people vape in the UK - guessing 2-3 million by now, how many members, views, hits doe this website get - sure it will be on the money. Ask any vaper you see in the street - 9 out 10 or more will have never been on a forum nor probably wish to.

Back
Top Bottom