What's new

photo's too large?

Wasn't me or I'd have removed the apostrophe whilst I was at it. :D
I can live with the occasional misuse of apostrophes, and even with the misuse of “I” rather than “Me” (& vice versa) but to/too/two and there/their/they’re and the like is similar to fingernails down a blackboard ;)

I can live with the occasional misuse of apostrophes, and even with the misuse of “I” rather than “Me” (& vice versa) but to/too/two and there/their/they’re and the like is similar to fingernails down a blackboard ;)
Two right. Their very annoying. :18:

A bit of a pain having to re-size photos so <= 1mb but I guess it is what it is. Stiil at least the site isn't now behaving like you're on dial up.

It's driving me mad trying to get people to understand about "FILE SIZE".

That's what started this thread. The problem of some images being more than 2MB in size because of how fast it eats up the storage space on the site.

How much data does a monitor contain? ZERO. It's a monitor. It doesn't contain any data. It just displays things.

It's the files that contain all the data.

Does DPI matter? YES IT DOES.

That's nothing to do with the monitor. It affects how large your Image File will be.

The bigger the resolution of a FILE the larger that file will be. That is mainly controlled by TWO SETTINGS. Frame size (W x H) and image resolution in Pixels or Dots Per Inch.

Back in the day when we had 56K dial up modems file size really mattered because if an image file was too large it took ages to load. Nowadays, the only real effect it has is in how much storage space larger files take up. I put pics of vape gear up on here all the time and the files rarely go above 50 Kb in size and it only takes less than a minute for me to do that in a photo editor.

When people upload photos straight from their phone the File Size can be 50 or 100 times bigger which makes a massive difference when it comes to how fast it eats up the storage on the site as well as slowing everything down.

It's driving me mad trying to get people to understand about "FILE SIZE".

That's what started this thread. The problem of some images being more than 2MB in size because of how fast it eats up the storage space on the site.

How much data does a monitor contain? ZERO. It's a monitor. It doesn't contain any data. It just displays things.

It's the files that contain all the data.

Does DPI matter? YES IT DOES.

That's nothing to do with the monitor. It affects how large your Image File will be.

The bigger the resolution of a FILE the larger that file will be. That is mainly controlled by TWO SETTINGS. Frame size (W x H) and image resolution in Pixels or Dots Per Inch.

Back in the day when we had 56K dial up modems file size really mattered because if an image file was too large it took ages to load. Nowadays, the only real effect it has is in how much storage space larger files take up. I put pics of vape gear up on here all the time and the files rarely go above 50 Kb in size and it only takes less than a minute for me to do that in a photo editor.

When people upload photos straight from their phone the File Size can be 50 or 100 times bigger which makes a massive difference when it comes to how fast it eats up the storage on the site as well as slowing everything down.

As previously explained, resolution is only one aspect of what makes up the stored data. This was already shown by Mitz who had a photo taken at the same resolution of two different subjects be 2 completely different file sizes.

A lower resolution photo can be easily larger in file size than a larger resolution photo, depending on the contents of the photos.

You need to understand how file formats like JPEG work, which you clearly don’t.

As previously explained, resolution is only one aspect of what makes up the stored data. This was already shown by Mitz who had a photo taken at the same resolution of two different subjects be 2 completely different file sizes.

A lower resolution photo can be easily larger in file size than a larger resolution photo, depending on the contents of the photos.

You need to understand how file formats like JPEG work, which you clearly don’t.

The file content is irrelavent.

The problem is to do with FILE SIZE and the amount of STORAGE SPACE these files are taking up on the hard disks that that web site is stored on. That's what started this thread.

As it says in the thread title. The photos are TOO LARGE.

The file content is irrelavent.

The problem is to do with FILE SIZE and the amount of STORAGE SPACE these files are taking up on the hard disks that that web site is stored on. That's what started this thread.

As it says in the thread title. The photos are TOO LARGE.

I didn't say anything about file content. And file content is related to file size. Seems like you have a level of technical understanding, have a read up on how different file formats compress images. PNG (Portable Network Graphics) is another format that was specifically implemented to help with delivering images across networks.

Wasn't me or I'd have removed the apostrophe whilst I was at it. :D
It was I who changed the title :18:

The apostrophe is fine, imo, as in “the photo is too large”, but I’ll gladly change that, as well :18::18::18:

giphy.gif

I didn't say anything about file content. And file content is related to file size. Seems like you have a level of technical understanding, have a read up on how different file formats compress images. PNG (Portable Network Graphics) is another format that was specifically implemented to help with delivering images across networks.

You're still not getting it.

Think of the site server as a storage box. It only has a limited amount of space. You can fit in masses of tiny little pictures that take up hardly any space or your can fill your storage up with a few huge copies and your storage space will run out in no time.

That's why it's a problem when you get so many large picture files keep being uploaded and the site will then try to limit how big files are allowed to be.

It's also the reason why the site now needs to be purged because so much of the server space has got filled up with files which are massively larger than they need to be.

Over the last few years they have built up and take up far too much space on the server.

Back
Top Bottom