What's new

PPE Acetate Help

I am properly overwhelmed by all of your kindness which has totally exceeded my hopes. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

This has however brought on an unexpected Dilemma:
At my current capacity including catching some zzz's I can only produce 7 or 8 a day, I have 250 sheets on their way which is enough for a month, I also have almost enough money for a further 500 sheets, so the dilemma is; do I buy the 500 which won't get used until early May which could contribute towards a shortage so other visor makers struggle obtaining any?

I did have the idea I could buy it and ship out any surplus free of charge to anyone else we know that is making visors, which brings me to my 2nd dilemma; so far we have ordered 250 from the same supplier that only has 12 ratings on eBay, do I put all our eggs in 1 basket (pun intended) and order more or do I wait until the current orders arrive? (3 Shipments).
(All are covered by PayPal guarantee but time isn't).

I know that some other people have got a 2nd printer as it instantly doubles capacity though they aren't cheap for a workhorse one, I still think injection moulding is a much better way and can't believe these are still in short supply, I worked for an Engineering company and the tooling could be designed and manufactured in under 48 hours if urgent, they could mass produce at a fraction of the time and cost.

Does anyone know anybody in the Plastics industry? I know they are already producing existing PPE stuff but I would love to know what is being produced like this simpler face visor.

The Ender 3 is pretty good, it has a smaller capacity and would just about manage to fit a visor print.

It is probably easier to manage than mine and a lot cheaper.

Printing ready made designs is quite simple once you know the basics of running the machine and the slicing software but learning 3D cad is when they get really useful.
Ok .. so from package arriving noob to being able to print your visor straps .. how long ?

Also .. does it require a PC - or can it be run from a Mac or iPad ?

Wait for more to arrive mate if i was you

Rest assured if this guy is not genuine .. I will make sure it gets everywhere

Ok .. so from package arriving noob to being able to print your visor straps .. how long ?

Also .. does it require a PC - or can it be run from a Mac or iPad ?
Ouch a tough question to answer, now in theory you could be up and printing within a day (or even the same day), however it took me quite a few days to set mine up properly and learning the printers sweet spot, calibration and a few upgrades, tweaking to improve has always been ongoing but to print the Visors is less demanding than high precision parts.

Software wise, if you are only going to use it for pre-designed parts (such as the Visor) all you need is free Ultimaker Cura:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/60891/ultimaker-cura

Cura will look confusing as f**k at first but the defaults should get you through printing basics.

Files are easiest to transfer by microSD cards so you don't need to have your mac connected to the printer.

Ouch a tough question to answer, now in theory you could be up and printing within a day (or even the same day), however it took me quite a few days to set mine up properly and learning the printers sweet spot, calibration and a few upgrades, tweaking to improve has always been ongoing but to print the Visors is less demanding than high precision parts.

Software wise, if you are only going to use it for pre-designed parts (such as the Visor) all you need is free Ultimaker Cura:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/60891/ultimaker-cura

Cura will look confusing as f**k at first but the defaults should get you through printing basics.

Files are easiest to transfer by microSD cards so you don't need to have your mac connected to the printer.
Ok! I’m warming to the idea!

Sounds like something i could use to help people at the minute .. and then be able to repurpose for something else later on when I’m more used to it ... there are numerous jobs around the labs that could use some sort of custom Jig ... so i reckon it wouldn’t be a waste moving forward.

Question :

The ppe acetate Visors

Are they reusable ? I assume them being solid and not material they can be disinfected ?

Question :

The ppe acetate Visors

Are they reusable ? I assume them being solid and not material they can be disinfected ?

You would hope so wouldn't you? Don't know the life span though.

Ok! I’m warming to the idea!

Sounds like something i could use to help people at the minute .. and then be able to repurpose for something else later on when I’m more used to it ... there are numerous jobs around the labs that could use some sort of custom Jig ... so i reckon it wouldn’t be a waste moving forward.
I'm here to help where I can - I've enjoyed creating stuff with it, idea to something held in your hand is rewarding :)

Back
Top Bottom