What's new

PPE Acetate Help

Question :

The ppe acetate Visors

Are they reusable ? I assume them being solid and not material they can be disinfected ?

In the ideal limited use world they would be disposable, in reality they are re-using them after disinfecting.

3D printing doesn't actually produce 100% solid parts, there are microscopic gaps between layers so 3D prints aren't classed as food safe, items used for food etc. need to be disinfected each use.

You would hope so wouldn't you? Don't know the life span though.
Quite

Or if the plastics used in the print or the acetate reacts badly to chemicals like iso alcohol etc

I wonder what the best course of disinfection is ....

UV light ? Alcohol wipes ?

I was talking to a medical dude yesterday, one of our customers who was telling me a good bit about the mechanics of the virus.

Apparently it has a really long chain which makes it more likely to mutate over reproduction more often - but that surrounding it is basically fats ... which break down easily with soaps and detergents (hence why washing hands is so effective). I wonder in this case if dettergents may be enough ?

No expert .. so just wondering

I wonder what the best course of disinfection is ....

UV light ? Alcohol wipes ?

I was talking to a medical dude yesterday, one of our customers who was telling me a good bit about the mechanics of the virus.

Apparently it has a really long chain which makes it more likely to mutate over reproduction more often - but that surrounding it is basically fats ... which break down easily with soaps and detergents (hence why washing hands is so effective). I wonder in this case if dettergents may be enough ?

No expert .. so just wondering

Wipes won't be effective as there's too many nooks & crannies, ideally they need submerging, Isopropanol would be ideal in a dip but I don't know how many you can clean in the same vat?

When I get some more acetate I will have a play around to see if a household bleach solution works.

I know PLA/the acetate ect has some issues with heat, but what about steam as sterilisation?

I mean, we steam clean baby bottles and when I cared enough about my car I used to steam it's interior.

Surely the heat is controllable with steaming? Like you can either move a steamer back and forth over an item fast enough as to not apply it directly for too long as to warp it? Or some kind of chamber large enough with a steamer chucked in, to set it and forget it. Enough room to control how hot it gets as a whole.

I know PLA/the acetate ect has some issues with heat, but what about steam as sterilisation?

I mean, we steam clean baby bottles and when I cared enough about my car I used to steam it's interior.

Surely the heat is controllable with steaming? Like you can either move a steamer back and forth over an item fast enough as to not apply it directly for too long as to warp it? Or some kind of chamber large enough with a steamer chucked in, to set it and forget it. Enough room to control how hot it gets as a whole.

That's not a bad idea thank you, I use a flame torch to remove any light stringing in a similar way, steam left too long would definitely warp it but skimming over a few times should be okay, I still have my test print I can try it on as i have a steam cleaner.

I also have some thin acetate which I think should hold up, acetate was used for overhead projectors that used to be hot running with old bulbs.

That's not a bad idea thank you, I use a flame torch to remove any light stringing in a similar way, steam left too long would definitely warp it but skimming over a few times should be okay, I still have my test print I can try it on as i have a steam cleaner.

I also have some thin acetate which I think should hold up, acetate was used for overhead projectors that used to be hot running with old bulbs.
Yeah I was thinking misting back and forth, like laying down the first layer of paint on a car.

Slow and gentle back and forth for 4 or 5 or however many times you feel it'd need. Also I believe (I could be entirely wrong...) Wouldn't professional care places have some form of steamer available to them also? So they should be able to do it themselves as part of a cleaning process when they've been used.

Wipes won't be effective as there's too many nooks & crannies, ideally they need submerging, Isopropanol would be ideal in a dip but I don't know how many you can clean in the same vat?

When I get some more acetate I will have a play around to see if a household bleach solution works.
Uv light ? What about that - same issue with the gaps in 3D printing I suspect

Back
Top Bottom