What's new

PPE Acetate Help

I know PLA/the acetate ect has some issues with heat, but what about steam as sterilisation?

I mean, we steam clean baby bottles and when I cared enough about my car I used to steam it's interior.

Surely the heat is controllable with steaming? Like you can either move a steamer back and forth over an item fast enough as to not apply it directly for too long as to warp it? Or some kind of chamber large enough with a steamer chucked in, to set it and forget it. Enough room to control how hot it gets as a whole.
We have a various methods of heat treatment at work ash as you know - including a lab grade steam pressure steriliser that prints off dates and stuff I suspect it would melt them tho?

We have a various methods of heat treatment at work ash as you know - including a lab grade steam pressure steriliser that prints off dates and stuff I suspect it would melt them tho?
Ahh the autoclave! (Was thinking more the average Joe has access to materials)

Yeah I'd imagine the heat and pressure of that would melt them! (Although if I've now twigged to what your thought process is, Could run a 1pc test and see?)

That's why I was thinking of a steamer like a handheld one, hold it far enough back and gently mist it over back and forth.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking misting back and forth, like laying down the first layer of paint on a car.

Slow and gentle back and forth for 4 or 5 or however many times you feel it'd need. Also I believe (I could be entirely wrong...) Wouldn't professional care places have some form of steamer available to them also? So they should be able to do it themselves as part of a cleaning process when they've been used.

Test run a partial success, doing quite a few runs over without warping, the more you do the more the part gets fully heated and that's when warping starts, though you can hand bend it back into shape, I suspect too much of this will ruin the integrity though.

Bleach dipping seemed okay but I don't know how long it needs, I did a sloosh for a few minutes and it seemed fine, I'm going to speak to the care home about it, though care workers in the community won't have the same facilities, speaking to one mobile worker she said all they have been advised is to use wipes, if they visit an infected patient then the visor stays there.

There has to be a better way, bleach would be my preferred option at the moment.

Uv light ? What about that - same issue with the gaps in 3D printing I suspect

I've seen UV stuff being sold but no idea how effective or practical it is, I don't have anything UV myself but worth a nose online to see if it is useful thanks.

Test run a partial success, doing quite a few runs over without warping, the more you do the more the part gets fully heated and that's when warping starts, though you can hand bend it back into shape, I suspect too much of this will ruin the integrity though.

Bleach dipping seemed okay but I don't know how long it needs, I did a sloosh for a few minutes and it seemed fine, I'm going to speak to the care home about it, though care workers in the community won't have the same facilities, speaking to one mobile worker she said all they have been advised is to use wipes, if they visit an infected patient then the visor stays there.

There has to be a better way, bleach would be my preferred option at the moment.

I've seen UV stuff being sold but no idea how effective or practical it is, I don't have anything UV myself but worth a nose online to see if it is useful thanks.
Not to rain whatsoever on your parade mate and majorrrr major kudos for what you're doing.

But one question from me personally? Is bleach safe to do so? To have it close to the skin / eyes.

The fumes I mean and the fact I recall watching a friend getting sprayed in the face via a super soaker with bleach.

But I'm not knocking the idea at all! I'm just weary myself personally of cleaning chemicals and extra cautious using them. (But that's me)

(That and Heron Foods near @bil1666 recently making customers use Selgene floor sanitizer as handwash bloody idiots!!!!) But that's a different matter.

Not to rain whatsoever on your parade mate and majorrrr major kudos for what you're doing.

But one question from me personally? Is bleach safe to do so? To have it close to the skin / eyes.

The fumes I mean and the fact I recall watching a friend getting sprayed in the face via a super soaker with bleach.

But I'm not knocking the idea at all! I'm just weary myself personally of cleaning chemicals and extra cautious using them. (But that's me)
Fair point, I generally use a heavily diluted hot water solution prior to all this and rinse afterwards, though I have zero real knowledge of the actual effectiveness but it was something I was brought up with to sanitise food areas.

Plenty of time on my hands so I'm going to search google on bleaching - as long as I can navigate past anal bleaching suggestions :18:

That method is pretty effective though it would need quite a lot of IPA, I only have a 0.5 Ltr bottle, I also wonder how often you need to change it?
Diluted 70/30 should be ok as that's the recommended for hand sanitizer. Seeing as soap & water works a good dollop of Fairy in the bath should do the same trick & be cheaper. Unless you're infected, keeping the work area clean & steralised & using gloves to handle/package, chances are extremely low of cross contamination & if you can keep 72hrs in front with deliveries then the care home should have clean gear.

Diluted 70/30 should be ok as that's the recommended for hand sanitizer. Seeing as soap & water works a good dollop of Fairy in the bath should do the same trick & be cheaper. Unless you're infected, keeping the work area clean & steralised & using gloves to handle/package, chances are extremely low of cross contamination & if you can keep 72hrs in front with deliveries then the care home should have clean gear.
I'm as comfortable as I can be my end and I will sanitise as best I can, I was more looking into how to advise the end users to keep them clean, especially after a comment from the mobile carer that they were instructed to clean them with wipes.

Back
Top Bottom