What's new

Replacement for Smok Alien...?

The Seer

Postman
After around five years of usage, and the being the only mod I have my Smok Alien is slowly giving up the ghost. The metal trigger has fallen off, leaving only the micro switch to fire the coil. It still works but the device is on its way out. I think I really have got my moneys worth out of the Alien and I'm really pleased it's lasted so long without fault, hats off to Smok for the design and longevity.

Obviously I wish to replace the Alien, I'm aware Smok have replaced the Alien with the Rigel. Should the Rigel be considered and is the build quality as good as the Alien? Or should I be looking at another device instead?

Thoughts on Smok are very very mixed tbh, if you're sticking with vaping why not treat yourself to something a bit more upmarket.

Thoughts on Smok are very very mixed tbh, if you're sticking with vaping why not treat yourself to something a bit more upmarket.

The Alien was always good to me throughout its usage. However I'm not opposed to something else, any recommendations?

smok went downhill on their quality control around 4-5 years ago when they started flooding the market with a different kit every week.
now saying that i have 2 aliens ive not used for around 3 years as i have much better kits to use. the paint on mine have all flaked off but apart from that they still work but personally i would never buy anything smok ever again.

im guessing using an alien you direct to lung vape at higher wattage so you wont go far wrong from looking at this kit https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/vape-kits/vaporesso/vaporesso-gen-200-vape-kit
its cheap as they now have a newer version 2 out which i believe only the tank has changed.
the i tank which comes with this kit was my tank of the year 2022 and i think a lot on here would agree with me on that.
Ive got 2 of the older kits which i still use daily along with geekvape legend and if you happy still using your old tank then these kits are built like tanks https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/vape-mods/geekvape/geekvape-aegis-legend-2-l200-vape-mod

That entirely depends on how you vape, I'm predominantly MTL, so something small that takes a single 18650 does me, might not be for you, I use TC almost exclusively so a decent chipdrt like DNA, yihi or Dicodes makes me happy, so as you see it all depends on your use-case.

After around five years of usage, and the being the only mod I have my Smok Alien is slowly giving up the ghost. The metal trigger has fallen off, leaving only the micro switch to fire the coil. It still works but the device is on its way out. I think I really have got my moneys worth out of the Alien and I'm really pleased it's lasted so long without fault, hats off to Smok for the design and longevity.

Obviously I wish to replace the Alien, I'm aware Smok have replaced the Alien with the Rigel. Should the Rigel be considered and is the build quality as good as the Alien? Or should I be looking at another device instead?

You got lucky with your Alien mod. Mine started playing up after less than a week - and the battery door fell off at 8 days despite never being dropped or abused. Don't take your good luck with the Alien for a sign of quality as you will be sadly mistaken - and I'm not slating Smok in particular, most mainstream Chinese vape manufacturers build to the lowest component price because most vapers aren't willing to pay for quality. The fact you've used the Smok as a sole mod for 5 years is practically a miracle..

Personally I avoid Smok - but that is 100% down to the early death of my Alien, but I've also had mod death from Wismec (juice fried board), iJoy (juice fried board), Uwell (just died, but I did drop that mod several times), Council of Vapor (juice again) and a couple of lipo mods but thery were due to battery death rather than electronic hassles.

Good luck with your search, but if you are determined to get another Smok mod - have a long online search, and don't pay much for them- they are stack them high and sell them cheap items.

You got lucky with your Alien mod. Mine started playing up after less than a week - and the battery door fell off at 8 days despite never being dropped or abused. Don't take your good luck with the Alien for a sign of quality as you will be sadly mistaken - and I'm not slating Smok in particular, most mainstream Chinese vape manufacturers build to the lowest component price because most vapers aren't willing to pay for quality. The fact you've used the Smok as a sole mod for 5 years is practically a miracle..

Personally I avoid Smok - but that is 100% down to the early death of my Alien, but I've also had mod death from Wismec (juice fried board), iJoy (juice fried board), Uwell (just died, but I did drop that mod several times), Council of Vapor (juice again) and a couple of lipo mods but thery were due to battery death rather than electronic hassles.

Good luck with your search, but if you are determined to get another Smok mod - have a long online search, and don't pay much for them- they are stack them high and sell them cheap items.

thanks for the heads up about Smok. Considering your comments I might give something else a try. I’m just after something that is durable and does the job. I don’t mind paying extra for good quality and reliability

Lots of people testify as to the durability of the geekvape legend, personally I sold it after a week, shite TC.

thanks for the heads up about Smok. Considering your comments I might give something else a try. I’m just after something that is durable and does the job. I don’t mind paying extra for good quality and reliability

I've found Dovpo, Geekvape and Vaporesso to be decent (and Aspire and Innokin but I only have single battery mods from them), but my comment about cheap components applies to all mainstream Chinese vape manufacturers - I could have just been lucky so far lol.

I couldn't comment about TC as I don't use it.

For an amicable price, (one that doesn’t hurt too much if you don’t like it), the Geekvape Legend 2/ L200 is a good shout as per @John R . You can buy them for £35-40, Amazon sell them too, and they’re decent. I can’t vouch for TC as I don’t use it at all, but in wattage mode they’re excellent, and battery life is good too.

Vaporesso do two good mods in the Gen 200 and Target 200 also, they’re the best around at the price point imo. The board is super simple to use, excellent battery life and just works very well. No TC though, although I believe you can do an update to get that, but again not my bag. The only different between the two is the aesthetics, both work exactly the same way. Again available almost everywhere, including Amazon.
Aspire are also worth a mention. The VRod and Rhea are both good mods. Heavy, but I like that, good on cells and a nice design. They do again share the same board, but the Rhea has an additional menu button whereas the VRod access to the menu is done via button combination.

Lost vape, Dovpo and Thinkvape also do none DNA chip versions of some of their mods which should be decent, although I can’t affirm to that as whilst I have the aforementioned mods they are the DNA versions.

To touch on the Smok alien mine is almost paint free, as it all fell off. But it’s been an abroad to a hot climate twice, (it’s now my holiday mod), been dropped and all sorts and still works fine. I do agree however Smoks quality control can be dubious, but the Aliens that did work worked well.

Good luck. Basically buy what you like, but there is no need whatsoever to exceed the £50 mark to get something decent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom