What's new

Started using TC mode and not getting much flavour

Thank you Crispycritters and Raptorex.

I'm going to order some five wrap SS 316L claptons and try those. Everything you've said makes sense

I really do appreciate all this advice, and it's very enjoyable trying things to seek a better vape.

Thank you Crispycritters and Raptorex.

I'm going to order some five wrap SS 316L claptons and try those. Everything you've said makes sense

I really do appreciate all this advice, and it's very enjoyable trying things to seek a better vape.

If you're going for single Claptons, personally I would go for the 24ga rather than 26. Take a look at the dual 26 gauge claptons that gave you good results and you will notice they gave a lot of coil to cotton contact (that is one of the main reasons they give off so much vapour) - a 5 wrap 26ga clapton will only provide a little over half the contact - that's why I'd recommend the thicker 24ga as it will cover more cotton (you'll probably need to go to 6 wraps with 24ga to get above 0.30). Personally I would use the leg length to wind on an extra wrap and space it SLIGHTLY so you can just see the cotton in the gaps. In the last build you did you overdid the spacing a bit - like Raptorex mentioned, a lot of it was stretched out beyond the airflow at each end of the deck.

As SS316L can be vaped in Wattage there is no problem glowing and strumming it for hotspots unlike some TC wires - just don't glow it so it blazes like the sun, cherry red or orange is good enough. I would still space it slightly - if you overdo it, press the coil slightly closer together with ceramic tweezers when you put it into the deck and heat it a couple of times so it settles with the wraps a little closer together. If you get a couple of wraps touching after this, just pull them apart with the tweezers and glow the coil so it is slightly spaced when it cools. It is a bit of a faff, but it works.

If you're going for single Claptons, personally I would go for the 24ga rather than 26. Take a look at the dual 26 gauge claptons that gave you good results and you will notice they gave a lot of coil to cotton contact (that is one of the main reasons they give off so much vapour) - a 5 wrap 26ga clapton will only provide a little over half the contact - that's why I'd recommend the thicker 24ga as it will cover more cotton (you'll probably need to go to 6 wraps with 24ga to get above 0.30). Personally I would use the leg length to wind on an extra wrap and space it SLIGHTLY so you can just see the cotton in the gaps. In the last build you did you overdid the spacing a bit - like Raptorex mentioned, a lot of it was stretched out beyond the airflow at each end of the deck.

As SS316L can be vaped in Wattage there is no problem glowing and strumming it for hotspots unlike some TC wires - just don't glow it so it blazes like the sun, cherry red or orange is good enough. I would still space it slightly - if you overdo it, press the coil slightly closer together with ceramic tweezers when you put it into the deck and heat it a couple of times so it settles with the wraps a little closer together. If you get a couple of wraps touching after this, just pull them apart with the tweezers and glow the coil so it is slightly spaced when it cools. It is a bit of a faff, but it works.

Thank you again. I've just ordered some 24ga pre-made claptons. I'll space as you suggested and try another build. A project for later this week

You need to take care with the size/gauge of that outer wrap. I wouldn't waste my time with anything less than 36awg, and ideally 38 or 40awg.

Ah, the outer wrap on the claptons that I ordered is 32ga. Why do you suggest 36 or 38?

Traditionally it's 10 of a difference between the core and wrap wires.

Ah, the outer wrap on the claptons that I ordered is 32ga. Why do you suggest 36 or 38?
That outer wrap mainly heats up from the heating of the cores. The thicker the material is the longer or more watts you'll be required to use to get your coils up to temp.

I hate TC mode. Tried it, never got on with it. Never got the hit with it. Maybe I was doing something wrong, I dunno. And I vape between 90 and 120 watt. Maybe that’s why I didn’t get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom