What's new

Stealthvape's 5mm Silica

Mawsley

Putting the soup into super hero

You know it would be strange to live life in a cage
And only believe the things you see that are written on the page

Due to a mass outbreak of anal warts the POTV team were unable to have any input into this review.
Do not cast aspersions upon their innocence should you find these words offensive, misleading or outright lies.
*** And do not use the chairs they just sat upon ***
I received this product free of charge for the purposes of trial and review but my opinions expressed reflect
whatever passes through my drug-addled brain by way of constructed thought.

I'm building up my problems to the size of a cow
No, oh, oh, oh, oh the size of a cow

When you get your wick out do children laugh? Do you feel inferior with your 1.5mm girth as some smarmy shit waps a load of 3mm on the table? Do you spend too long trying to measure it in the hope that it will grow or looking at it from different angles in the vain belief that it looks bigger that way? You find measuring it from the base of the atty is fooling no one? Do you know how difficult it is to write more than a sentence on what is effectively just a piece of absorbent string? Why the flip do you think I'm padding out this introductory paragraph so that it ends up resembling a thread by @JennyS ?

Say 'Hello!' to another unfeasibly large offering from @stealthvape - and if you study the picture below carefully you'll see the reason why Rob has such bad back problems...

bustergonad.gif

That's right, dear reader, bicycles are a major source of spinal ailments.

And so, Rob has sent me some stupidly big silica to have a go on. I'll tag the 4mm onto this thread but this morning I had a go at wicking up a 5mm silica sample into an adapted Igo-L. I would have broken out the Trident to do it on but I'm loving the thing I have going on with it at the moment and, as I'll allude to in a minute, attempting a dual coil would have resulted in tears and kicked dogs.

Four wraps of 0.3 A1 Kanthal were wound using the tried and trusted pin method and the ends broken off by applying tension to the wire and fiddling about. I'm good at fiddling about but not in the same way as Uncle Ernie in Tommy.

2013-10-17%2010.55.51.jpg

The discolouration you see is a result of having cleaned the dripper without taking out the screws and so a residual amount of juice was absorbed instantly into the wick.

Yesterday I tried out the 5mm Ekowool and commented that I found it a breeze to pack into the dripper. I attempted to pack on end of the wick underneath the coil as I'd done with the Ekowool but strands were flicking out. Even when doused in juice I still found that I had to repeatedly prod to get them to remain in place. In itself this isn't a big deal as before yesterday this was a common part of making up a dripper for me. Likewise, after priming the rest of the wick and cutting off the spare end to fit I had the same issue of attempting to get it to remain in place. It was accomplished quickly enough, I was just thinking how much easier the Ekowool was while I did it.

2013-10-17%2010.56.44.jpg

Two variables are now being introduced: for a starter I have a different resistance and secondly I kicked off with a test juice previously untried.

The results were bad.

Each long draw was met with a dry burn towards the end. My first thoughts turned to the wicking ability of the silica compared to the Ekowool. My second thoughts called my first thoughts stupid and my third thoughts went off to play with themselves in a corner until the whole nasty business calmed down.

2013-10-17%2011.09.30.jpg

Clearing the wick of Banana Split I lubed up with yesterday's test juice, my home-made Vanilla Custard. Instantly I was able to take long, deep lung-busting inhales again. The taste was clear, full and wonderful. Actually, scrub that last sentence as it is identical to the one I used a long time ago when I was trying to convince a girlfriend to perform fellatio. I was making it up then so it probably subtracts from my credibility in using the statement now. Whatever, the problem was with my initial juice and not the wick.

So we've rather been round the houses on this one haven't we. My bottom line is that it doesn't present any real problems in use and it wicks well, the flavour roars through and it doesn't dry burn...but I still prefer the Ekowool.

So let me compare it to my usual silica wicks as some people just plain don't like the idea of using Ekowool shoe laces. It obviously holds more juice than thinner wicks but has the advantage over using multiple thinner wicks in a dripper because you don't have the same amount of strands all over the shop. Again, this also depends upon how you set up your dripper. The size of it guarantees that wick will be in contact with the well ensuring that loose juice is continually being mopped up...

...hang on, I've just popped in 16 drops of my Banana Custard and I'm having the most blissful experience...

...right, I'm back. Where was I? Unfeasibly large testicles? Miles Hunt being Billy Big Bollocks? No, I was concluding that I'd take the 5mm wick in a dripper over multi-strand Silica wicks for the juice holding ability without any detriment to wicking. If anything the experience is improved by decreasing the dry hits from an emptying wick.

5mmSilicaVape.jpg

I do apologise, I could have done better but I've been interrupted countless times while attempting to write this. So I guess I don't get my Blue Peter POTV Reviewer's badge now? Oh well. Back to making innuendos about putting it in your mouth and sucking on a hard mod I guess...

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome review again mate. I gotta say I prefer it to ekowool, but there's ekowool fans and silica fans it's all down to personal preference.

I've been working out the... Umm cross sectional area?

Wick SizeArea mm²
1mm0.78
1.5mm1.76
2mm3.14
2.5mm4.9
3mm7.06
3.5mm9.62
4mm12.56
5mm19.63

I'd previously thought that 3 x 2.5mm strands would have the same wicking ability of 1 x 5mm strand but after revisiting some math lessons to do with pi it seems it's actually four when you work it out properly.

Now to work out the area of hollow ekowool... Might just ask them actually :)

Mawsley... this is becoming the online equivalent of the emotionally challenged kid in the playground, who can't quite express that he wants to be someone's mate and so runs up and gives them a dig in the arm instead!

I get it... I'm an alright girl/homocidal truck driver...

FYI- I don't 'pad' I ramble :p

p.s nice review :)

@Mawsley... this is becoming the online equivalent of the emotionally challenged kid in the playground, who can't quite express that he wants to be someone's mate and so runs up and gives them a dig in the arm instead!

Okaaaay....

Erm...

Thanks for the awesome review again mate. I gotta say I prefer it to ekowool, but there's ekowool fans and silica fans it's all down to personal preference.

I've been working out the... Umm cross sectional area?

Wick SizeArea mm²
1mm0.78
1.5mm1.76
2mm3.14
2.5mm4.9
3mm7.06
3.5mm9.62
4mm12.56
5mm19.63

I'd previously thought that 3 x 2.5mm strands would have the same wicking ability of 1 x 5mm strand but after revisiting some math lessons to do with pi it seems it's actually four when you work it out properly.

Now to work out the area of hollow ekowool... Might just ask them actually :)

More impressive would be a figure for volume based on a standard length as that would compound the difference between them too.

Hows that

Wick SizeArea mm²Volume mm³
1mm0.7815.71
1.5mm1.7635.35
2mm3.1462.85
2.5mm4.998.21
3mm7.06141.42
3.5mm9.62192.49
4mm12.56251.42
5mm19.63392.85

You steady on boy, your brain'll pop!

It's fine working out areas and mass etc Rob but how do you factor in the different wicking abilities?

Don't... Gotta take the twist into account too.

Weigh a given length of wick before and after soaking with eliquid on a decent set of scales. Time to switch off or the wife will nag me

It's to stop my brain sounding like this when I'm trying to get to sleep at night hehe

I snuck back hehe *ohh here she comes*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom