What's new

Review SteamGunk - My first review

SamFishlock

Postman
Hello!

So now that I've been on the liquid for a little while I thought I'd try my hand at a review. Let's jump straight into it.

Liquids

1. Captain Custard, 50/50 9mg
2. Purple Haze, 50/50 12mg
3. Lemon Meringue Pie, 50/50 12mg
4. Cloudy lemon, 50/50/ 9mg

Set-ups

1. Protank mini 3 on a Kanger VV battery. Cotton wick with silica flavour wick on a 1.4ohm single coil using .28 kanthal. 3.8v on average.
2. Protank 3 on an SVD. Silica wick and flavour wick on a 1.3ohm single coil using .28 kanthal. 3.7v on average.
3. Omega RDA on a Stingray mech. Boiled cotton on a 0.7ohm single coil using .32 kanthal.

Delivery

Delivery is brilliant. These have been purchased in two separate orders, one on a Friday afternoon which was delivered on Saturday morning. Can't ask for more than that. Well packaged in padded shipping bags with the bottles also inside sealed bags. The bottles themselves are soft and easy to drip. The label is well designed; Colourful and clear with what it contains, mix, strength, etc.

Smell from the bottle

In brief, they all smell fantastic.
Captain custard is sweet with an obvious vanilla custard smell. It also gives off a slight toffee scent.
Purple Haze, to me smells like passion fruit. Which is a good thing! Sweet, fruity and exotic. Apricot is also evident.
LMP is crazy! The most powerful smell out of the bottle to me is a good buttery biscuit base! :grin2:
Cloudy Lemon literally smells like you've just opened a bottle of fizzy bitter lemon. Lemon, lime maybe? And a slight bitterness.

Vape

Captain Custard
Having been on here for a little while I constantly come across people raving about custard flavour liquids. I've never been a big custard fan myself, though would never say no to a good bit of pie covered in it! In my Protank mini the flavour is absolutely spot on. It delivers the most accurate custard flavour I think you could ask for. Rich vanilla, creamy texture and a superb taste in your mouth. I literally describe it to friends as having custard in your mouth. It's a 50/50 mix yet you can turn the voltage up and it still wicks brilliantly and I am yet to have a dry hit.
On the SVD I've vaped it all the way up to 15 watts and it delivers each time. When you do turn the power up there is a much warmer, homely taste that I'd strongly recommend having a go on after dinner.
Once you start putting this liquid into an RDA/mech set-up I'd definitely recommend letting it steep for 5-7 days, otherwise it becomes a bit harsh.
Vapour production is brilliant (thick, thick clouds) and this will most definitely be my new all day vape that I'll be looking into buying in bulk. I just wish SteamGunk would sell concentrates.
9/10 from me. The only reason I don't give it 10/10 is I believe that due to this becoming so popular SteamGunk should look at producing it in bulk and steeping it prior to shipping.

Purple Haze
This was the first liquid I tried from SteamGunk and it made me a happy man. In my opinion there was no need to steep it. The smell I originally mentioned of passion fruit certainly comes through in the vape. Apricot is definitely there in the exhale and provides a short after taste. The site mentioned some herbs, however I cannot put my finger on what these might be. Vapour production is brilliant on all set-ups. No issues with wicking and again I'm yet to be delivered a dry hit.
8/10 from me. A brilliant liquid with an exotic selection of flavours.

Lemon Meringue Pie
I smelt this and thought, 'do I really want to vape this?' It was really the first good quality dessert flavour I tried and I had my doubts. Once it settled into my SVD set-up I found myself spending the latter part of the evening reaching for it. The sweetness and buttery 'biscuitness' of it is crazy. This is really all I could taste without steeping it. After roughly 3-5 days of steeping a subtle (and much needed) lemon and lime flavour came through that countered the sweetness to perfection. SteamGunk need a round of applause for such a well balanced taste. On an RDA/Mech set-up it can become a bit overpowering. I'm now going to let this steep for 2-3 weeks and try it again.
8/10 from me. A clever liquid that just needs some time to brew.

Cloudy Lemon
I've always been a big fan of fizzy bitter lemon and lemonade. I looked forward to this and at first was rather disappointed. I found it to have quite a chemical taste and a 'tickly' throat hit. This applied to all set-ups and voltages. I certainly cannot deal with it in an RDA/Mech. The lemon is definitely present, however only really in the exhale and after taste. The inhale was okay, nothing to write home about. I allowed this to steep for 3 days and have returned to it just prior to starting this review. It's better, not brilliant, but better. The lemon is more prominent and it feels more 'relaxed'. I've used it briefly in an RDA (although admittedly I dabbed a tiny bit of neat VG in there) and it's refreshing. Definitely a morning vape for me to get you going. Vapour production is good, but not thick like the others.
6/10 from me. Steeping is almost mandatory in my opinion.

So, that's about it from me. I hope your time hasn't been wasted in my rather lengthy review and I hope it encourages you to go out and buy some of this outstanding liquid. They deserve all the success they can get. Please criticise my review and come up with some suggestions as I'd like to start doing some more and possibly move onto video's in the future.

TLDR? Go and get some SteamGunk liquid, it's brilliant.

IMG_20140522_221804.jpg
IMG_20140522_222000.jpg
IMG_20140522_222200.jpg

All the best,
Fish.

Last edited:
wow, what a brilliant review, are you sure it's only your first time? :) Thanks so much for your well thought out and detailed opinions, it really does help us...Cloudy Lemon is a funny one, I hate it personally but the mixer and other friends think it's great (no idea why! lol), everything improves with steeping though as you've found, being made to order (because of our large range of different strengths, 2 bases and 2 bottle sizes there would be literally thousands of bottles if pre-steeped) also lets you decide when you want to vape it, new or old :)

wow, what a brilliant review, are you sure it's only your first time? :) Thanks so much for your well thought out and detailed opinions, it really does help us...Cloudy Lemon is a funny one, I hate it personally but the mixer and other friends think it's great (no idea why! lol), everything improves with steeping though as you've found, being made to order (because of our large range of different strengths, 2 bases and 2 bottle sizes there would be literally thousands of bottles if pre-steeped) also lets you decide when you want to vape it, new or old :)

Thank you, honestly my first review. Completely understand about pre-steeping, difficult to achieve and obviously there must be people who prefer it un-steeped. I steeped the cloudy lemon for the past 48 hours and vaped a full protank 3 of it at work today. I have to use it outside at work and it was a lovely vape whilst relaxing in the sun. Refreshing.

Excellent review mate! Thank you. :2thumbsup:

Thank you, it's appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom