What's new

Stock Coil / Pod recommendation

I've found when bedding in a coil that the resistance will change quite noticeably once it has been glowed and checked for hotspots. With SS3126 wires you shouldn't really glow them red hot (and spaced wires that don't need glowing get used a lot for TC) so I wonder if the resistance of the coil has permanently changed now that it has been vaped for a few hours (I don't mean the regular resistance increase and decrease with TC wires that occurs normally - I mean the annealing effect that can permanently change the resistance when metal has been heated).

As DNA chips remember the resistance of the coil - try fitting a different tank with a completely different resistance so the mod asks if it is a different tank, press yes so the board remembers the new resistance, then fit the original tank (after it has been left for 20 minutes or so and allowed to cool to room temperature) you should get the same message asking if it is a different tank, press yes. Don't be surprised if the ohm reading is different from the original (probably higher).

If this is the case then the board was probably assuming the temperature of the wire to be hotter than it was and constantly throttled back the power too early, because it measures the increase in resistance as the wire heats to assess the temperature of the wire - it isn't a problem with the board, its just sometimes the resistance of wire can permanently change and as the board has the original resistance locked in memory it is starting from a false baseline. As the TC worked when the wire was newly fitted and has become temperamental after being vaped for a while this may be the cause.

Last edited:
I’m actually now coming to the conclusion that this is actually the tanks. They’re both Hasturs which I’ve had issues with that I thought were fixed - but apparently not.
The resistance across the coil is some way off the distance recorded between the +ive pin and -ive sleeve - almost twice as much.
When I’ve had Kanthal builds in these in the past, the resistance can vary wildly after the mod fires, which obviously on Kanthal should be pretty much fixed - so I’m guessing the same is happening with the SS.
I might stick a build in one of the Nevermores and see if that’s any better. Damn shame if it is, I love the Hasturs and when it’s working they excel in TC.

Must be specific to yours, mine works fine in TC. If you want me to check it, just send it over.

Must be specific to yours, mine works fine in TC. If you want me to check it, just send it over.

Cheers mate. Ended up getting the huff and rebuilding them all with Kanthal. The Nevermores were better behaved btu eventually succumbed to the same problem of the power just falling right off.

Sure it’s something I’m doing wrong, I’ll have another stab at it the next time I’ve got a free weekend.

Back
Top Bottom