What's new

The 3d printing thread

Looks good, will need to get a few all metal throats for this stuff. Although, while I know it's expensive, been looking at ColorFab-XT. Basically PLA with the strength of ABS, no warping and comes in lots of colours..

Yeah, think that XT is another PET based filament.

Do you know what type of Hotend you have, as there are some good all metal conversion kits out there?

I got the Micro Swiss MK10 All M​etal Hotend Kit
micro-swiss

Yeah, think that XT is another PET based filament.

Do you know what type of Hotend you have, as there are some good all metal conversion kits out there?

I got the Micro Swiss MK10 All M​etal Hotend Kit
micro-swiss

It's a generic Makerbot MK8. I can swap out the throat for all metal and that'd be the only mod I'd need to do. Been seriously thinking about making it a Single Extruder, but thst means re-jigging the carrage. The left extruder basically doesn't exist on it atm as I've had to move stuff over to the right due to breakage of various parts like the heater leads.

It's a generic Makerbot MK8. I can swap out the throat for all metal and that'd be the only mod I'd need to do. Been seriously thinking about making it a Single Extruder, but thst means re-jigging the carrage. The left extruder basically doesn't exist on it atm as I've had to move stuff over to the right due to breakage of various parts like the heater leads.

Yeah the MK8 is not the best, even the MK10 is not that good without switching out the big brass extruder gear for a fine toothed one, and fitting a all metal kit.

I still not sure why there has been a move towards PTFE lined hot-ends!?!? Just makes high temp stuff hard to print, and a bitch to clean when you get the inevitable clog that will overflow the PTFE tube and get into all your threads!

Maybe its due to lots of people moving to PLA over ABS?

Really think PET based filaments are going to fast become the standard filament.

If anyone is thinking about getting a CTC 3D Printer, all I'm going to say is that you better be prepared to do work. It's looking like I'm gonna have to RMA the motherboard on mine as the right temp sensor on the board is reading even without a thermocouple attached. The feed on both has become shit even after about 24 hours printing time, so I'm going to have to upgrade the feeders, while I'm at that, I'm going to change out the extruder Stepper motors. Thinking of upgrading the board to a Wanhao and being done with it. At least by putting something decent in, I know it's gonna work.

This thing has spent more time on the bench than printing. Not had a good time of it.

:( looks like a dogged a bullet with the CTC.

Had repetitively trouble free time with the Wanhao Duplicator I3 so far.

If anyone is thinking about getting a CTC 3D Printer, all I'm going to say is that you better be prepared to do work. It's looking like I'm gonna have to RMA the motherboard on mine as the right temp sensor on the board is reading even without a thermocouple attached. The feed on both has become shit even after about 24 hours printing time, so I'm going to have to upgrade the feeders, while I'm at that, I'm going to change out the extruder Stepper motors. Thinking of upgrading the board to a Wanhao and being done with it. At least by putting something decent in, I know it's gonna work.

This thing has spent more time on the bench than printing. Not had a good time of it.

Oh really I've been looking at getting one, well it's obviously not just a dodgy one as its had a load of things wrong with it, can you recommend a good budget printer?

can you recommend a good budget printer?

Duplicator i3 - Latest spec model – wanhaouk.com

But guess it depends on what you want to pint.

Edit to add: What ever budget printer you get you will have to print out few MOD or switch out some components to get the best out of it......unfortunately there is no straight out the box easy to use 3D printer under a few thousand pounds......so prepare to spend a lot of time tinkering and calibrating what ever printer you do get....they are a hell of a time sponge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom