What's new

The 3d printing thread

I have joined the dark side :)

Had my baby since Monday and really enjoying 3D printing! Been a really steep learning curve but think I have it dialed in now, after a few mods to the feeder and spool system. Basically I was printing out the box but a few alterations have improved reliability so I can leave it unattended.

Now to learn 3D modelling, that's the easy bit right ;p View attachment 62070

mmmmmmmmmmmm the new Ultimaker 2!

They are very sexy printers!

mmmmmmmmmmmm the new Ultimaker 2!

They are very sexy printers!

I am very chuffed with it! It does look very slinky in my office :) Breathing lights are a nice design touch!

I do wish they had put as much effort into the feeding mechanism though, the stock system is garbage and very high resistance, thankfully being a popular model I soon had a bunch of fixes for it and now it works a charm :)

Here are some of the bits I have made so far, super chuffed with the threaded bits(went together perfectly without cleaning!), battery stand is my first attempt at modelling something for print (still early days! :) )

3AENxmml.jpg

qYUwbekl.jpg

V6SeUkSl.jpg

aV5V6uDl.jpg

V5VjSBrl.jpg

SV2xFPSl.jpg

I do wish they had put as much effort into the feeding mechanism though, the stock system is garbage and very high resistance, thankfully being a popular model I soon had a bunch of fixes for it and now it works a charm :)

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of Bowden extruder in general due to the limitations they can put of filaments, but have read a few complaints about the Ultimaker 2's implantation. Though, I totally get why they went with Bowden.

Have you printed any high temp filaments like ABS or PET on it yet?

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of Bowden extruder in general due to the limitations they can put of filaments, but have read a few complaints about the Ultimaker 2's implantation. Though, I totally get why they went with Bowden.

Have you printed any high temp filaments like ABS or PET on it yet?

I haven't tried anything other than PLA yet, I figured I would get the machine working 100% and get myself dialed in before I start changing more variables.

I will probably upgrade to the olsson block so I can clean/change nozzles easier before going onto ABS. I think I will run a seperate nozzle for ABS as it can cause problems going back and forth ABS-PLA so I am led to believe?
I do have a huge stack of filaments to play with but common sense is telling me to leave them alone until I am consistent with the silver PLA I put in first.
The woodfil and copperfil look they will be really interesting, the woodfil actually feels rough like wood in filament form, no idea how well its gonna feed though!
Ninjaflex/ any flex will be out unless I can be arsed to make the direct feed upgrade, but I can't see me having the need which is why the boden set-up didn't worry me.

What set-up you running peps1?

I think I will run a seperate nozzle for ABS as it can cause problems going back and forth ABS-PLA so I am led to believe?

Yes, you can run into a few problems like blockages if you switching back and forth from different filaments that have big differences in extruder temperatures, not such a issue with direct feed, as you can always run through a small bit of cleaning filament.

I think the trick is to just find the best filament that you can print everything in, with me it looks like its going to be a PET based feed plastic, getting good prints with its and as it high temp like ABS, but non of the warping issues.

I do have a huge stack of filaments to play with but common sense is telling me to leave them alone until I am consistent with the silver PLA I put in first.

I agree, its best to dial everything in with one type of filament and get used to what the printer limits and quirks are, changing the filiment is abit like changing the goal posts.

The woodfil and copperfil look they will be really interesting, the woodfil actually feels rough like wood in filament form, no idea how well its gonna feed though!
Ninjaflex/ any flex will be out unless I can be arsed to make the direct feed upgrade, but I can't see me having the need which is why the boden set-up didn't worry me.

Wood fill is very cool, I like how it sand like real wood too, and smells really nice.

I have a sand stone like filament that is really good for printing building models with too.

Stuff like copperfill is good, but you have to use a stone tumbler full of screws to get it polished up nicely

https://youtu.be/AU8WvGveNj4

What set-up you running peps1?

I have a heavily modified Duplicator I3 with a all metal hotend and a cool new hot bed Iv just build with a solid state relay and silicon heat-pad under a glass and PEI covered print suffice.....get up to 120c in a matter of seconds, but is kind of redundant as I been using a bunch of PETG that doesn't even need a heated bed!!!

But, plan in slapping it all into a heated enclosure so I can print absolutely any filament.

Last edited:
I have joined the dark side :)

Had my baby since Monday and really enjoying 3D printing! Been a really steep learning curve but think I have it dialed in now, after a few mods to the feeder and spool system. Basically I was printing out the box but a few alterations have improved reliability so I can leave it unattended.

Now to learn 3D modelling, that's the easy bit right ;p View attachment 62070

Oh Fuck, Ed's joined us.. now we're d00med.

Also, I may have a 2nd printer coming.. That Prusa i3 I linked off earlier, couldn't resist it. Also considering there's no-one I know of producing 3D printed sleds in the UK, I'm looking to start producing them en mass once the Prusa arrives..

I've now got ABS printing awesomely, admittedly, the 8 hour print I left running last night when I went to bed failed so hard, it looked like a Masochist's Fleshlight. If any of you have an account on Thingiverse, look up AxMod, there's a few designs there for the CTC/Makerbots that I've been playing with. Also that 1590B shim that I've been playing with, although I forgot to drop the groove on the top, so I can't put a lid on (D'oh).

Filiment wise - I've just got a colorFabb_XT sample in, and it's so simple to print with, it needs a lot of heat (250c), but it flows beautifully. I do have some adhesion issues with it atm, 2 fails of a small model I'm testing with with a small footprint. Just needs a bit more heat on the bed I think.

Ed, we need to get together now and swap filament samples!!! I also need more space. My living room looks like a Bomb's hit it, considering it's my Living area, Office, & workshop and it's not much more than 20' -25' square you can imagine what it looks like with my stock in. In have some space at manabush HQ which I'm moving to soon, but it looks like I'm doing it sooner than later..

Last edited:
Oh Fuck, Ed's joined us.. now we're d00med.

Also, I may have a 2nd printer coming.. That Prusa i3 I linked off earlier, couldn't resist it. Also considering there's no-one I know of producing 3D printed sleds in the UK, I'm looking to start producing them en mass once the Prusa arrives..

I've now got ABS printing awesomely, admittedly, the 8 hour print I left running last night when I went to bed failed so hard, it looked like a Masochist's Fleshlight. If any of you have an account on Thingiverse, look up AxMod, there's a few designs there for the CTC/Makerbots that I've been playing with. Also that 1590B shim that I've been playing with, although I forgot to drop the groove on the top, so I can't put a lid on (D'oh).

Filiment wise - I've just got a colorFabb_XT sample in, and it's so simple to print with, it needs a lot of heat (250c), but it flows beautifully. I do have some adhesion issues with it atm, 2 fails of a small model I'm testing with with a small footprint. Just needs a bit more heat on the bed I think.

Ed, we need to get together now and swap filament samples!!! I also need more space. My living room looks like a Bomb's hit it, considering it's my Living area, Office, & workshop and it's not much more than 20' -25' square you can imagine what it looks like with my stock in. In have some space at manabush HQ which I'm moving to soon, but it looks like I'm doing it sooner than later..

Nanook .. get the sweeping brush out man ...

The new one. RepRap Prusa i3, auto tramming/levelling. They sent me the wrong plate, but being sent the correct one tomorrow..

Attachments

• 1441628430309.jpg
    1441628430309.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 84
Hows the new i3 going pal

Er.. yeah... er.. when it does print it's damn good. However, the Marlin firmware is ignoring the Z offset so it's more of an engraver, IE it's scraping into the nice aluminium plate, thankfully this is the small one, which is getting replaced with the plate I paid for. So I'll have a nice clean one to print on instead of having a screwed up one..

Back
Top Bottom