What's new

The 3d printing thread

Brutal, warped and stuck to the nozzle, or was the fan assembly PLA and melted at ABS print temps?

Layer fan was ABS, so it was fine with heat. Can't say what happened. It was off on one side but I'm assuming that was due to the drag of all that plastic. It was only fixed on temporarily until I got the bolts to fix it properly, so it is possible it could have dropped. Really can't say. Just hope my PLA arrives today (that is if it wasn't the package that was taken back to the Depot yesterday), as that particular thing really doesn't need to be in ABS, I just ran out.

Oooo gutted mate, Was that the box from shapeways the intricate one that has pop out battery compartments?

Layer fan was ABS, so it was fine with heat. Can't say what happened. It was off on one side but I'm assuming that was due to the drag of all that plastic. It was only fixed on temporarily until I got the bolts to fix it properly, so it is possible it could have dropped. Really can't say. Just hope my PLA arrives today (that is if it wasn't the package that was taken back to the Depot yesterday), as that particular thing really doesn't need to be in ABS, I just ran out.

I feel for you man, had a few spaghetti monster prints myself, but really don't like leaving prints unattended due to the fire risk (though we all do it).

I don't use a printed Cooling Duct, don't print enough PLA to risk having on, even ABS printed ones can get over the ABS glass temperature being that near to a +100c bed and +230c nozzle to make trouble if they shift even a couple of mm.

But, they are excellent if your printing lots of PLA.

I'm still holding out hope that PET+/PETG will be the magic filament its billed as, easy to print as PLA, strong and temperature resistant as ABS.

Got two spools of it here I have not had the chance to print with yet :(

Oooo gutted mate, Was that the box from shapeways the intricate one that has pop out battery compartments?

Na, was an E-Liquid mixer design I'm working on. peps1, yer gonna have to let me know about PET, as I'm starting to get fed up with ABS.

Na, was an E-Liquid mixer design I'm working on. peps1, yer gonna have to let me know about PET, as I'm starting to get fed up with ABS.

Yeah ABS is hell, even with fancy PEI bed materiel and enclosed printer.

Going to print a couple of PET sleds and mods tonight for stress testing, and see if it will hold up to having supa doppa hot mod on it.

If you want a few meters to try out your self, just PM me with where to send it!

Yeah the Pet is sounding like the way forward, a mixer hey, I was looking at building one with a hdd motor and a spinning magnet, im so thinking about investing in a ed printer, but sounding like a very steep learning curve

Yeah the Pet is sounding like the way forward, a mixer hey, I was looking at building one with a hdd motor and a spinning magnet, im so thinking about investing in a ed printer, but sounding like a very steep learning curve

Yes, there is a learning curve, but I think its less of a curve to use a 3D printer then it is to design parts to print.

Once you got past learning how to level a bed and what temperatures you should be using, you can print good parts, and the most steep learning is going form good prints to excellent prints.

peps1 what mod are you looking at making then???

Working on a custom MOD for a fellow forum member, so going to kill two birds with one stone and print the prototype in PET to mainly check the dimensions and fitting are right (its hard to really know how something will fit into the hand, and if you have made the walls to thick or thin without having it there in a physical form) and as that print wont be the finished product, it means I can test it to destruction to see if PET based plastics are a viable alternative to ABS that is the current go to plastic for higher temp and strength parts (but unlike PET is a shit to print with, not recyclable, brittle, not food safe, give off fumes, and a whole bunch of other things that are not ideal).

Yes, there is a learning curve, but I think its less of a curve to use a 3D printer then it is to design parts to print.

Once you got past learning how to level a bed and what temperatures you should be using, you can print good parts, and the most steep learning is going form good prints to excellent prints.

Working on a custom MOD for a fellow forum member, so going to kill two birds with one stone and print the prototype in PET to mainly check the dimensions and fitting are right (its hard to really know how something will fit into the hand, and if you have made the walls to thick or thin without having it there in a physical form) and as that print wont be the finished product, it means I can test it to destruction to see if PET based plastics are a viable alternative to ABS that is the current go to plastic for higher temp and strength parts (but unlike PET is a shit to print with, not recyclable, brittle, not food safe, give off fumes, and a whole bunch of other things that are not ideal).

Are you going to be able to keep us updated with the super cool mod or is it a secret project!

:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom