What's new

The "regret motions" have been scheduled for Monday 4th July :

I cant believe im gonna watch 2hrs of lords arguing for the benefits of vaping i know already the benefits of vaping and its disgusting and corrupt at the highest level that we are being targeted by the same laws that govern cigarettes

bumpety bump. @junglist @Rob

so tomorrow is the big day people.

a bit more info:

(The three regret motions will be debated at 7pm in the main chamber of the House of Lords on Monday 4th July (calendar.parliament.uk/calendar/Lords/All/2016/7/4/Daily).

The Labour motion has the best chance of success, because there are a lot of Labour peers. The motions will not force the government to change anything but if any of them are successful it makes it a lot more likely that MPs will finally get to debate ecigs in the House of Commons, and that sensible vaping regulations will finally be on the table. ).

More info here, including how to watch: https://vapersinpower.wordpress.com/regret-motions-lordsvapevote/

Regret Motions:

Lord Callanan to move that this House regrets that the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016 place restrictions on product choice and advertising of vaping devices, were devised before evidence had accumulated that vaping was enabling many people to quit smoking, run counter to advice from the Royal College of Physicians to promote vaping and are so severe that they could force vapers back to smoking and create a black market with harmful products; and calls upon Her Majesty’s Government to withdraw them (SI 2016/507). (Dinner break business)

Lord Hunt of Kings Heath to move, as an amendment to the above motion, to leave out "and calls upon Her Majesty’s Government to withdraw them" and insert "and further regrets that the Regulations are not to be accompanied by a public information campaign to reassure smokers that electronic cigarettes are less harmful than normal smoking; that smoking cessation services are being cut back at the same time as the Regulations are being introduced; and that the Regulations are due for implementation before the Government have published their tobacco strategy."

Baroness Walmsley to move that, in the light of the prohibition of commercial advertising of vaping devices in the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016 and the proven public health benefit to former smokers of switching to vaping devices, confirmed by the advice from the Royal College of Physicians that vaping is 95 per cent less harmful than smoking tobacco, and that half of all tobacco smokers die from smoking-related causes, this House regrets that the advertising ban would hinder e-cigarettes from being promoted as a way of assisting smokers to stop smoking tobacco, and that concerns regarding the restriction of the nicotine concentration of the vapour have not been properly addressed (SI 2016/507).

Cheers @MrDJ - was hoping to have spoken to the campaign organisers last week to see, in light of the Shadow Health minister stepping down, if there was any chance of further change to this. But given the political turmoil within the Labour camp at the minute I think vaping will be the last thing on their minds, although I find a good blast an excellent stress reliever :D

So it's been changed to regret, but as long as the government pull their fingers out and trigger article 50 then maybe, and I do mean maybe, we will see some movement on this in less than the 10 years that the EU will have to wait. Although of course the trade deals we end up with may mean that we have to abide by it anyway.

I can see there is a lot more campaigning to do to put pressure on politicians to make a sensible choice on this so be prepared for more letter writing, petition signing and generally being a pain in people's arses to make sure that vaping is protected.

Tomorrow could be a good indicator of feeling so going to be interesting to watch indeed.

Did anything actually happen then? i was asleep,probably like most of the lords.

"regret motions" sounds like a curry you wish you hadn`t eaten.

At least they changed it from fatal motions,is that when they all die on the toilet?

Back
Top Bottom