What's new

Vaping 101 age verification

There was a thing with Citizen Cards' a few years back, faked one's, wetherspoons wouldn't accept them, nor some other places, the cards, not the app :hmm:

eBay sellers have been forced to use the VerifyMyAge system for about two years now. Since I don't have any photo ID, I had to send sellers a photo of my paper DL, sometimes this resulted in a day's delay and several explanatory emails, but it was essentially a minor inconvenience. What really annoyed me was that I had to verify each individual seller, even though they were using the same system. I use the same payment method with the same card since Paypal was disabled for eCig products, they ship to the same name and address, and my name is not Benjamin Button. I could understand if I used a different card or requested shipping to a different address, but no, it's because I'm buying from a different FFS seller.
I understand your frustration, but these security measures make sense and are designed to protect both buyers and sellers. Identity and age verification are mandatory to prevent underage sales and to protect against fraud. While repeated checks may seem unnecessary, they help ensure that every purchase meets security requirements. Ultimately, this minimizes risk and maintains a safe trading environment, which is in the interests of everyone involved.

I understand your frustration, but these security measures make sense and are designed to protect both buyers and sellers. Identity and age verification are mandatory to prevent underage sales and to protect against fraud. While repeated checks may seem unnecessary, they help ensure that every purchase meets security requirements. Ultimately, this minimizes risk and maintains a safe trading environment, which is in the interests of everyone involved.

I understand WHY age verification is required, but it makes no sense whatsoever to have to verify repeatedly when the sellers are all using the same verification system and selling via the same sales platform like eBay. Every individual eBay Account is unique, once you verify your age for a single store you can buy repeatedly from that store without having to repeat the verification process but if you buy from a different seller using eBay you must repeat the verification process. It makes far more sense to me to treat eBay as one large shop and to register once for eBay and not have to repeatedly go through the verification process for each individual purchase from sellers with an eBay Store.

Obviously any shop selling online via their own site should verify age for a first sale as they have no previous knowledge of the customer but I see no valid 'age-related' reason to repeat the process for individual sellers using the same sales platform.

The real reason is the verification service collect a fee from the seller for the initial sale - after this registration the buyer does not have to repeat the process so only one fee is collected. Although they could easily do this for eBay they would only collect one fee. Obviously it is more profitable for them to repeat register even though the customer is using the same sales platform.

In the past I've noticed some eBay stores also sell via their own sites - and buying direct is often cheaper as the seller does not have to pay a sales commission to eBay I try to buy direct whenever possible, however, even if you have verified with them via eBay you must repeat the verification as tfor verification purposes the eBay one is not valid for direct sales.

Yes, there is a valid reason for verifying age, but the reason for repeating the process constantly is profit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom