What's new

Vaping To Be Taxed

Toby iVapour

Vendor

Ministers consider new vaping tax at Budget next week​

The government first said it was considering a vaping levy at November's King's Speech, citing a "significant differential" with tax on tobacco.
According to the Times, which first reported the story, the new duty will be levied on the liquid in vapes, with higher tax rates for products with more nicotine.
We all knew it was coming... ☹️

Havent read the article but from listening to the radio it seems the liquids are where the tax will be applied.
Also tobacco tax will be pushed even higher to make sure vaping is still cheaper. Just a money making exercise.

Surely this just strengthens the Homebrew and DIY scene? Excluding nicotine all the other ingredients are found in the food / pharmaceutical industry so they cant be taxed?

Havent read the article but from listening to the radio it seems the liquids are where the tax will be applied.
Also tobacco tax will be pushed even higher to make sure vaping is still cheaper. Just a money making exercise.

Surely this just strengthens the Homebrew and DIY scene? Excluding nicotine all the other ingredients are found in the food / pharmaceutical industry so they cant be taxed?
Yes, you would have thought so...
(dunno how the other regs will affect DIY though)

Another thing that comes to mind, is why should say 18mg users be penalised more in tax than 3mg users?
.. the new duty will be levied on the liquid in vapes, with higher tax rates for products with more nicotine.

Another thing that comes to mind, is why should say 18mg users be penalised more in tax than 3mg users?

The only logic here is because they can, and means more money for them!
No idea how it will be implemented but the only thing I can guarantee is that they make a pigs ear of it.

Most successful smoking cessation of all time, saved lives all over the globe for a decade and now they want to destroy it for their own greed.

I's mad, but its just what they do....strong beer carries a heavier tax

I's mad, but its just what they do....strong beer carries a heavier tax
I understand the principle of the alcohol tax rate for more for alcohol, cos obviously you need less vodka than beer to get pissed...
Nicotine doesn't work in the same way (although users of higher strength will probably use a bit less on average than lower strength users for MTL).

I understand the principle of the alcohol tax rate for more for alcohol, cos obviously you need less vodka than beer to get pissed...
Nicotine doesn't work in the same way (although users of higher strength will probably use a bit less on average than lower strength users for MTL).

Taxation very often has little to do with logic and is really all about the kerching. The Treasury estimate duty on e-liquids along with the increase in tobacco duty would raise an extra £500m.

Higher strength = higher tax in their minds is my broad point

I rather it be mg than per ml, at least it will encourage people to titrate down.
Why should people have to? (or be persuaded)

I've been using 18-36mg for the last 15 years, and I deffo do not want to cut down... (never have done)

The stronger you can handle, the better IMO. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom