What's new

Disposable Vapes To Be Banned

And here she is..

Policy paper

The Environmental Protection (Single-use Vapes) (England) Regulations 2024 draft​

This is a tough one, because I do not think I should I should try and oppose a ban on disposable vapes, partly because I don't like them (or the concept), and also because I would be willing to accept a ban on disposable vapes as a compromise on all other restrictions being very light (if I was in a position of power of course!).
If you have any comments or views on the draft regulations, send them to us at: [email protected] by 25 March 2024.

One of the reasons that this is more on my mind atm, is I'm due to meet my MP (for business address, it's different MP for home address area) on Friday, and need to to try to persuade him what angles to push in Parliament.
(suggestions welcome of course!)

He (Julian Sturdy) emailed me today -
You raise some really important points in your email, and I have taken them on board. I will be discussing with my team as to what representations we can make to Ministers on this matter.

.. I'm due to meet my MP (Julian Sturdy)...
Just met up with him this morning, a few takeaways from the meeting -

I asked him early on what his stance is, and he said he's fairly open-minded, but believes in freedom of choice...

But, not only has he not even read the consultation, he hasn't read the response either.

However, when mentioning the proposed tobacco incremental prohibition, without prompt, he & his aide both said how crazy that would be (proxy sales & black market etc).

Anyway, I was explaining a lot of stuff, things like -
Vaping is the most effective quitting aid ever.
But many people actually enjoy nicotine, and they don’t want to quit nicotine - why should they?
This section of the population is unrepresented.
Negative Propaganda

In 2023, 57% of smokers believed e-cigarettes to be equally or more harmful than cigarettes (compared to 41% in 2014).
The proportion of smokers who thought vaping is less harmful than smoking is 27% (compared to 44% in 2014).
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2815561
Disposable Ban - is it worth trying to fight against?
Tax

Why should people be penalised for not smoking?

Why should higher nicotine users be penalised more than lower strength users?

Why should people who use zero nic be penalised with tax at all?
Not only are they not smoking, they are not using nicotine either!
Flavour Restrictions

There is a petition to Parliament (which they have responded - “Given the potential health risks of nicotine”???) -
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/656683/
Nicotine

Why have the government got it so in for nicotine?
Why are they so concerned that vaping could be “a new form of smoking” for some people?
Surely it is so much better that they use a method of taking nicotine that doesn’t have all the harm of smoking?

Although nicotine is an addictive drug in respect to that it is habit forming, a dependence only meets the definition of addiction if there is serious net harm to the user. The effects of nicotine on the human body are broadly similar to those of caffeine, indicating that long term use probably represents a health risk similar to that of coffee consumption. For many people it is a recreational drug that they enjoy.

Also nicotine is considered to have many therapeutic qualities. It improves cognitive performance and has anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also thought to protect against/ alleviate: ADHD, Parkinson’s, Tourette's, Alzheimers, and schizophrenia.

While I don’t think nicotine should be encouraged for non-smokers, I don’t understand why the government has such an anti-nicotine agenda.

Anyway, he asked for links to various aspects, which I said I would gladly oblige, and I said - "I'm going to give you a lot of homework to do..."

So we'll see what he can do in Parliament... 🤷‍♀️

Ok I’ve been reading all about why the government wants to restrict the sales of vapes.

I’ve heard all about how some flavours attract under age people, supposedly.

There is an age limit to buy vapes, just as there is to buy booze and fags.

So rather than stopping legitimate users from buying vapes , no matter what flavour, why don’t they beef up the penalty for selling to under age people?

Yes of course under age people will still get their hands on vapes. Under age people still drink booze too, but they’ve not stopped selling booze.

The same applies to tobacco products as well. Under age people still get their hands on fags, but fags are still for sale.

We have under age, illegal drivers, but they haven’t banned cars (Yet!!!)

So I just don’t understand why on earth there is this big push to basically stop legitimate vapers from doing their thing.

Ok I’ve been reading all about why the government wants to restrict the sales of vapes.

So rather than stopping legitimate users from buying vapes , no matter what flavour, why don’t they beef up the penalty for selling to under age people?

Yes of course under age people will still get their hands on vapes. Under age people still drink booze too, but they’ve not stopped selling booze.

The same applies to tobacco products as well. Under age people still get their hands on fags, but fags are still for sale.

So I just don’t understand why on earth there is this big push to basically stop legitimate vapers from doing their thing.
There are already multiple threads on potential flavour restrictions and the disposable ban, so I've merged your post in to this existing thread so as not to have another thread on the same subject.

Last edited:

I think you cant look at it logically. Logic is not a word the government understand or comprehend. This is the question I've struggled with and dont understand. When comparing the proposals they are trying to implement against vaping for the reason they specify when as you say fags and booze are untouched doesnt make any sense.

I think you cant look at it logically. Logic is not a word the government understand or comprehend. This is the question I've struggled with and dont understand. When comparing the proposals they are trying to implement against vaping for the reason they specify when as you say fags and booze are untouched doesnt make any sense.
They make money from the production and taxes of fags and booze. They want the same control over vaping. Everything else is just their justification for taking over the vaping industry. Their reasons are just smoke and mirrors.

Back
Top Bottom