What's new

What the NHS have to put up with

Butt. Same as calling you bud.
Cheers mate. I did know it's just a way of saying bud but wasn't sure on the spelling. Long before Swansea I spent 6 months in Portland YOI with a 6ft 4, shaggy looking Welshman. Became very pally as he was a hardcore metaller and wanted to borrow all my Manson, Slipknot and Metallica cds. Can honestly say I haven't met a Welshman yet that I haven't liked.

Am I right then in assuming the Scottish "but" has a different meaning to the Welsh "butt"? :hmm:

Are the Scots carrying on the Aussie tradition of finishing their statement more as a question?

Like the English (read London) who say "y' know what I mean?" to end their sentences.

Words are interesting AF IMHO.

Or maybe we've just been in lockdown for too long. :lol1:

Last edited:
Am I right then in assuming the Scottish "but" has a different meaning to the Welsh "butt"? :hmm:

Are the Scots carrying on the Aussie tradition of finishing their statement more as a question?

Like the English (read London) who say "y' know what I mean?" to end their sentences.

High rising terminal
Even more interesting is that its not just an English language thing

High rising terminal
Even more interesting is that its not just an English language thing

no, the scottish but is very definitive. there is a high rising terminal but it’s only common among the east coasters and it’s usually an “...eh?”

no, the scottish but is very definitive. there is a high rising terminal but it’s only common among the east coasters and it’s usually an “...eh?”

Round these parts folk finish their sentences with Yeah, which I now do because I’ve been here so long.

Just a dialect thing innit.

Back
Top Bottom