What's new

What wire for coils?

Mbsun

Postman
For asgard mini on a dovpo topside sq.

I am used to building mesh, but had a couple of prebuilt wotofo coils to try out an asgard mini.

Liking so wish to continue. Don't really want to keep buying prebuilt coils if its more cost effective to buy a roll of wire.
Having said that I love flavour so will ultimately put that first and pretty much go for the best regardless of cost. I like to play so more than happy to do my own coils, though don't doubt I will mess it up before I get it right.
Looking for advice on how many times I should wrap them too.
After 0.1- 0.15 ohm on a dual deck

24ga ni80 6 wrap dual coil will get you there,

Although the asgard mini shines with complex coils like aliens or staggered fused claptons.

For something more cost effective and beginner friendly, look at flatwire UK premade flat clapton spools

Unless you are building for use on a mech I wouldn't worry too much about aiming for a specific resistance.

I generally use a build roughly suitable for the wattage I'm likely to vape at - normally I stay in the 60 - 75W range with dual coil RDAs on regulated mods and use 5 wrap 2-26/36, (0.15) or 5 wrap 3-28/38 (0.17) Ni80 fused claptons. If there is space in the deck sometimes I'll add an extra wrap, not worry about the resistance but just let the mod's buck boost circuitry do the thinking and adjust the power up/down as necessary.

If I'm likely to vape higher than 75W I'll use slightly bulkier, lower resistance wires like 4-28/38. If I intend to really crank it up then I'll start looking at bigger stuff in the 0.10 - 0.12 range but high-power vaping isn't something I've done for a few years.

Basically I think you need to figure out what type of wattage you are comfortable with vaping at before buying coils on recommendations. If you generally vape around 60 watts you won't be using enough power to even wake up larger complex wires, and if you are aiming for 100 Watts+ then something like dual 28 core claptons will be cack.

I'd experiment a little first to see what you prefer, once you find your preferred area then it's probably worth looking at professionally made coils if you really like the RDA.

Quickly as at work

Yes mech mod
I am pretty happy at .15 ohm on them, but could go a bit more power/ less resistance

Generally I vape at 70-85 watts on a dovpo topside dual

Stay within the CDR of the battery, get educated, learn ohms law.

Stay within the CDR of the battery, get educated, learn ohms law.

This

As you mentioned you would like a little more power than a 0.15 ohm build will provide I think you would be better off buying small tubs of pre-made coils and gradually work your way lower in resistance until you find your sweet spot. The difference between a 0.15 and 0.10 ohm build is massive so I wouldn't jump straight in at the deep end.

Spools of pre-made work out cheaper than tubs of pre-wrapped coils - but ONLY if you actually like the wire. I made the mistake of buying several spools that turned out to be too low in resistance for dual coil builds, too bulky or I simply didn't like them. If I had bought tubs of pre-mades I would only have pissed away half of the money on wires that turned out useless to me.

Another little point is that the number of wraps and diameter of a coil don't actually matter, only the total length of the wire does.

If you're struggling, try measuring out a length of wire giving the resistance you want and then wrap it to your tank accordingly. This is a little trick that's helped me calculate coils along the way and it was a God-send when I did.

Incidentally, according to SteamEngine, the binding on a Clapton wire doesn't actually seem to make much difference either. It barely seems to register when added to a parallel wire build. Whether that actually translates to the real world I don't know, but it's something I've noticed.

As has been said, Ohms law will help you work out the resistance you need for a given voltage/wattage. You can use the SteamEngine calculator to work out what wattage a particular resistance wire will fire at at a given voltage/amperage and then use the wire wizard to help you make it.

If you want to work out the length of the wire you'll need, you can either do it by using the values written on the spool or you can enter the wrap and diameter values as '0' on wire wizard and then enter different mm lengths as the leg value.

I see the point in terms of spools vs pre made in terms of which to buy i must admit
I suppose by knowing what other vapers use with similar kit but more knowledge and experience I am trying to eliminate trying out a lot of unsuitable/rubbish to find what I want faster.
But you are correct, I cannot eliminate all trial and error

I have new molicel 42ah 21700 which could be 45 or 30 amp depending on which source I look at for the info. Should be fine I hope? However I will be reading up and have been a little, I just need time to sit and absorb it, I am far from daft and pretty decent at math so I will get there on this.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, and the advice
Very much appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom