What's new

Zenith coils burning out instantly!

charlieath

Hi all,

I'm not a newbie to vaping per se, but I haven't played around with it. I was using a Coolfire Mini, 30/70 juice and vaping a lot at 35watts with no issues. Coils lasted a long time. I now realise I was doing it wrong...

Got the Innokin Zenith and was using the battery with my Coolfire tank to use up slipstream coils. Now switched to Zenith tank. Filled her up - coil instantly burnt up and I choked. I cautiously got the .8 coil out of the box... same thing happened.

Now I realise - wattage was too high. These coils are also packed tighter so got to prime better.

I finally got new coils today and very cautiously primed one. I even poked at it with a needle like someone suggested. Turned the wattage way down, to 9w, then I turned up to 11w and it tastes burnt. Again.

Please help before I burn through the rest of my pack and have to wait another week for something else to try!

Additional note - I have 3x 100ml of 30/70 so I hope its not the juice. They are spartan juice, fruity. I don't like menthol etc.

Thanks for the long read!

@charlieath I've had a quick look online and the juices are 70 vg and 30 Pg, this is isn't suitable for vaping at low watts.

Due to how thick the juice is, your coil will not be soaking the juice up in a hurry, leaving the cotton dry and leading to burnt / dry hits (the burnt / fire taste you are getting).

How are you priming your coil?

How many times are you priming it before vaping?

How long are you leaving it before vaping?

The Innokin Slipstream tank is a sub ohm tank and should be able to take 70 vg
Edit. Sorry I didnt take into account you switching to the Zenith.

@charlieath I've had a quick look online and the juices are 70 vg and 30 Pg, this is isn't suitable for vaping at low watts.

Due to how thick the juice is, your coil will not be soaking the juice up in a hurry, leaving the cotton dry and leading to burnt / dry hits (the burnt / fire taste you are getting).

How are you priming your coil?

How many times are you priming it before vaping?

How long are you leaving it before vaping?

Thanks for the quick response! Darn, I guess this is why I had no issues with the coolfire at 35watts, with 30/70 juice, even though this should have burnt out the coil due to the wattage being much higher than recommended for the coils.

I normally prime my coil by dropping it in the top and sometimes the sides. With the new coils I got today, I watched an innokin video and just dropped some in the top. Poked the sides with a needle as someone else suggested, and left it for about 30 mins. Now tastes burnt but makes sense with what you said.

I've only ever primed once.

What would you recommend I do? I.e. how would I go about using up all this juice I have? And best way forward? So sad I still have no way of vaping, silly me.

Thank you!

I have used the 0.8 zenith coils daily for 2 years and never had an issue. I presume you mean your liquid is 70vg which is too high for a mtl coil as the wicking holes are much smaller than a dtl coil, I only use 60 or 50 vg with mine and vape at 15 watts in all 4 of my zenith tanks.

In my opinion they’re a great coil, try a liquid with lower vg and you should be fine

you may benefit from a pre-suck on the atty before pressing the fire button.

after priming the coil filling the tank and letting it sit a few mins, close off any air intakes and just give the drip tip a bit of a suck until you hear a diddy gurgle. this should suck juice into any unsaturated wick ..

Also have you autopsied any of the burnt coils ??

- I pulled an old clone atty from the drawer yesterday coiled and wicked it soaked the wick closed it up filled the tank took a pull, and YUK huge burnt flavour... However on dismantling and pulling the soaking wick from the coils - white as snow??? i refitted the same cotton (messy) slipped a dripper cap over the deck and took a puff - and it was fine??? - rebuilt the atty and filled up again and am vaping it happily?? what went on with that 1st puff is still a mystery to me and may not be relevant to you at all, but pull a 'burnt' coil open and check.. you have nothing to loose..

If you pull a 'burnt' coil apart and dont find any brown burnt or tinted cotton, it may be a similar situation and if so i would suggest trying a 2nd puff on any remaining 'burnt' coils ??

I have used the 0.8 zenith coils daily for 2 years and never had an issue. I presume you mean your liquid is 70vg which is too high for a mtl coil as the wicking holes are much smaller than a dtl coil, I only use 60 or 50 vg with mine and vape at 15 watts in all 4 of my zenith tanks.

In my opinion they’re a great coil, try a liquid with lower vg and you should be fine

Thank you, I think I'm going to have to a) order some slipstream coils (.5ohm) and use up all this juice I now have. b) eventually order some 50vg stuff for the zenith, if I can brave using it again! I only purchased the new system as the battery died on my Coolfire Mini.

you may benefit from a pre-suck on the atty before pressing the fire button.

after priming the coil filling the tank and letting it sit a few mins, close off any air intakes and just give the drip tip a bit of a suck until you hear a diddy gurgle. this should suck juice into any unsaturated wick ..

Also have you autopsied any of the burnt coils ??

- I pulled an old clone atty from the drawer yesterday coiled and wicked it soaked the wick closed it up filled the tank took a pull, and YUK huge burnt flavour... However on dismantling and pulling the soaking wick from the coils - white as snow??? i refitted the same cotton (messy) slipped a dripper cap over the deck and took a puff - and it was fine??? - rebuilt the atty and filled up again and am vaping it happily?? what went on with that 1st puff is still a mystery to me and may not be relevant to you at all, but pull a 'burnt' coil open and check.. you have nothing to loose..

If you pull a 'burnt' coil apart and dont find any brown burnt or tinted cotton, it may be a similar situation and if so i would suggest trying a 2nd puff on any remaining 'burnt' coils ??

Thanks. To be honest I wouldn't know where to start with dismantling the coil. And I've taken it out and it does smell a bit burnt so I guess I'm done for until I can get different coils or different juice!

I have had 70% vg through my Zenith coils, well one of them and it seemed fine to me, saying that, after i top up a tank that has a new coil i generally wait quite a while for it to soak in. Infact i have left it that long i forget that it has juice in , old age and too many mods on the go probably

Back
Top Bottom