What's new

Advice on pre made coils

freshy

Initiate
I have been building plain boring single sometimes double and twisted together using a drill SS coils for what must be 10 years now and fancy a change.
I have become set in my ways building plain , boring coils and zero knowledge of the fancy twisted aliens fused flat wire and so the list goes on.
Ive seen 100 coils sold on Amazon for a tenner and seen others sold in a small pack of 10 for 8quid
Is there a different vaping experience with the different coils out there or is one coil pretty much the same as another ?
Using mech mods I usually vape at 0.12 ohms .
Does anyone have any recommendations , are some some coils are more flavoursome then others ?
Or is there hardly any difference and are the expensive ones a waste of money ?

Attachments

• 71fxODJMQJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71fxODJMQJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 29
I have been using Wotofo pre made coils now for the last couple of years never had a problem with them and the last a few months with just a clean up every now and again.

You could try some spools of Clapton, fused Clapton etc and wrap them yourself. You'll save an absolute fortune. Vaping 101 is worth a look. They have some reasonably priced spools.

You could try some spools of Clapton, fused Clapton etc and wrap them yourself. You'll save an absolute fortune. Vaping 101 is worth a look. They have some reasonably priced spools.
Thanks, I will take a look at Vaping 101

I normally use the 10 pack of Coilology pre-mades (usually Quad /Tri Core Fused Clapton or Alien V2) and have no complaints about them.

As above, Vaping101 have a good selection.

Not sure the how hand-made (ie more expensive) ones can perform any better to be honest, eg Coils by Scott etc.

Just my personal opinion - the advantage of using multi core claptoned/Alien wrap/claptoned staples etc is the flat profile.

If you make a 5 wrap twisted 4x28ga coil and compare it to a 4x28 core claptoned coil - the resulting resistance will be very similar - but the claptoned muilti core wire will have a flat profile. This means it will be wider when wrapped so it will cover more cotton, vaporise more juice giving better flavour - and because it will be a wide and 'thin' wire it will heat and cool faster, also it will be less prone to burning out the cotton as the heat of the coil is spread over a wider area..

I think you've got nothing to lose by trying them out, I recommend you avoid the '100 for £XX' offers like the plague as they tend to be bloody awful coils and look at the tubs of 10 coils from Coilology and Wotofo. I can't really give any recommendations to which type would be best to use as I try not to build mjch below 0.15 - I've found dual 5 wrap, 3mm i.d. 4-28 core Ni80 Claptons will be really close to 0.14 ohms but that is as low as I've ever gone on a 4.2V mech (maybe they'll hit 0.12 if you try 2.5mm i.d.?) but other than that I've got nothing.

Last edited:
What @Crispycritters and @John R said - I’ve been spooling coils for years and the one and only advantage regardless of wire type is the surface area. That’s it. Nothing else.
So if you have a 20g flat wire and equivalent to a 20g fiat wire in some fancy pants wire they will vape as near as damn it the same.

The wire material makes a difference in the ramp up though, big time.

Back
Top Bottom