What's new

Age verification

Yeah I've had it a few times ordering from British sites, I don't have a problem with giving proof of identity as long as they are clearly a legitimate business using a legitimate independent verification service, that does take effort though and it's so easy for this to be spoofed at the moment, so I only bother if I'm getting a good deal.

Having said that it's probably going to become the norm and I don't really blame Companies using these external verification services to safeguard themselves with how they are being turned against in recent years. There was talk a while back about adult sites etc having to do it too, think that's on hold at the moment but internet freedom just dies a bit more each day.

Might go and buy some shares in one of those companies thinking about it lol

But to my knowledge there's no legislation in place that specifies the use of a verification system from another country.

It should be sufficient under current law that I'm using an age restricted payment system (card or PayPal), having the items shipped to the name and address registered for that payment method and most importantly that I tick the box that says I'm old enough.

If I was underage and I'd 'borrowed' a parent's card, why would I not be able to also access other forms of ID and know their date of birth?

In all honesty, a tick box is just as robust a system and no more or less susceptible to abuse. Especially considering that if you type "agechecker" as a search string the first suggested fill is "agechecker bypass", and if you click that there are hundreds of results on how to get around it...
Not from another country per se no - altho we are supposed to use verification systems that can a certain that anyone is the correct age for the country in question.

my guess is these guys gave them a good deal on costs for verification.

mite an awful intrusive thing I agree - but we have to do it.
The tick box alone is not a legal method and doesn’t stand up if you get caught out.

legislation government advice actually stated that a tick box is not enough and either is relying on the age limit of Paypal and that you have to verifiable systems that stand up legally to show you have taken every precaution to be certain the age of the customer who is buying.

we have all vendors been thru and had to read all this stuff.

I’m in now way arguing for it - it is an awful invasion and an expense - but it is what it is

Last edited:
Not from another country per se no - altho we are supposed to use verification systems that can a certain that anyone is the correct age for the country in question.

my guess is these guys gave them a good deal on costs for verification.

mite an awful intrusive thing I agree - but we have to do it.

So does that mean that the tick box system used by the majority of sites isn't a valid option?

So does that mean that the tick box system used by the majority of sites isn't a valid option?
It can only be legitimately a PART of an over all valid solution.

we are not supposed to just accept the customers word, without proof

as said it is a legal requirement for age restricted products, however it's on them as a company to either sign up to one of the many companies like age check, some type of electoral roll check etc, not get the customers to supply proof of age via copies of passports or drivers licenses

edit - many companies will have these in place and you'll not need to know about them tbh

I added to my previous post to be clearer

as said it is a legal requirement for age restricted products, however it's on them as a company to either sign up to one of the many companies like age check, some type of electoral roll check etc, not get the customers to supply proof of age via copies of passports or drivers licenses

edit - many companies will have these in place and you'll not need to know about them tbh
Actually it is advised in the advisory to ask for proof of id (or drivers licenses or passports etc) if you have no other way. Also the companies that supply the verification systems will also do this if the customer cannot be found.

Actually it is advised in the advisory to ask for proof of id (or drivers licenses or passports etc) if you have no other way. Also the companies that supply the verification systems will also do this if the customer cannot be found.

would think that a decent one would use something similar to credit check stuff, can't really not be on some sort of system if you pay by a card of some description
think a lot of business would be lost if people were being asked to submit photo ids

They do - but not everyone is findable on it.

it’s rare but it does happen sometimes

it’s all horrible

I have with sellers ive used for years on ebay now i say fuck em their loss not mine i just go elsewhere.
This is not the fault of the sellers. I trade on eBay (as well as my own website and Amazon) and have been threatened that if I don't use this sort of verification, I will no longer be able to sell in the ecig and vaping categories. In fact, they probably are going to revoke my rights to sell, as I held out for as long as possible. It is not the sellers who are to blame - we are actually charged for each pointless verification and as you have to be 18 to have an eBay account, a PayPal account and a credit card, can see no point in it. Please don't blame individual sellers, blame eBay!

Back
Top Bottom