What's new

Covid reality

Mr Ripple

Legend
Maybe worth sharing as people seem a little fed up with it all at the moment.

I work in a wide variety of places and I'd estimate i visit around 120+ different establishments pee month from pubs, schools, hospitals, carehomes, prisons, food manufacturers, shops and many others.
I've been working right through the pandemic with the exception of a few weeks furloughed during the first national lockdown.

I use hand sanitiser before i enter a premises, sometimes during my inspections, and again when i leave.
I use a mask everywhere indoors but didn't up untill the government brought it in as advice.
I'd be careful what i touch and stopped touching my face thoughtlessly pretty early on.

I'd probably fair pretty well if i caught covid but I'm not so sure about wifey hence the reasons I've been very careful.
I've not knowingly breeched any of the given restrictions at said given times.

I know ive been in some proper covid infested places from food factories with nearly 20% down with it to pubs where the whole workforce went down with it also.
Ive been somewhere where over 25% of the establishment was either covid ridden or on isolation.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is given what i do and where i go I'd guess the risk of exposure for me would be extremely high but given the way I've behaved as detailed above it's meant that I've not caught it yet and so long as people follow the rules, are not thoughtless with face touching, mask wearing, hand washing, and sanitizing etc people can go about their normal business without catching it either.

Happy new year and here's hoping 2021 marks the back of all that has been 2020.

I'd say you've been lucky so far as have I. I've also worked throughout. Never touch my face or mask when out. Sanitise my hands before and after removing a mask and wipe all shopping down as it comes into the house. My main danger point is work however. We don't wear masks and are sometimes less than 2 metres from each other. I do clean my work area regularly and have taken my own kettle in.

Being as safe as you can doesn't always work though. One of my friends works as a communications technician for vehicles and helicopters. Works mainly from home but has to go to customers occasionally.
He practices all the usual sanitising protocols but was tested positive 3 day's ago. He has no idea where he picked it up from. Fortunately it looks like he's got over it with minimal symptoms.

I'd agree there's an element of luck but I'd it would be extremely unlucky to catch it rather than being lucky not to.

I'd agree there's an element of luck but I'd it would be extremely unlucky to catch it rather than being lucky not to.
I get you. The only thing that concerns me slightly is I work with someone from the foil hat brigade. He doesn't believe in the virus so, I'm assuming, takes no precautions. [emoji17]

I get you. The only thing that concerns me slightly is I work with someone from the foil hat brigade. He doesn't believe in the virus so, I'm assuming, takes no precautions. [emoji17]
Keep your distance I find poor personal hygiene works well or farting.
Seriously though refuse to work with him.

I for one (being type II diabetic) am totally pissed off with it all.This year i've been shielding at home more than attending work.I've even had to cancel my Christmas plans to spend it in Ireland with the fiancé.
I'm struggling to understand your post are you trying to say that following the currant guidelines will prevent us from catching Covid-19.

Keep your distance I find poor personal hygiene works well or farting.
Seriously though refuse to work with him.
I try to keep my distance. There's only 4 of us in the workshop and 4 in the office. Trouble is, as I'm the most experienced there I'm expected to help and give advice even though that's not my job or in my contract.
I hate the place and need to leave ASAP.

I try to keep my distance. There's only 4 of us in the workshop and 4 in the office. Trouble is, as I'm the most experienced there I'm expected to help and give advice even though that's not my job or in my contract.
I hate the place and need to leave ASAP.
TBH your company should not be operating if it can't create a covid secure environment.
Covid risk assessment should have been completed and any necessary alterations should have been implemented.

I for one (being type II diabetic) am totally pissed off with it all.This year i've been shielding at home more than attending work.I've even had to cancel my Christmas plans to spend it in Ireland with the fiancé.
I'm struggling to understand your post are you trying to say that following the currant guidelines will prevent us from catching Covid-19.
No I'm just trying to demonstrate it's not as easy to catch it as some might think.
I see very worried people walking down an empty street with a mask on!
Or drivers in cars that are otherwise empty still wearing a mask.

I also see so many people wearing their mask under their nose.
I see people cross contaminating so much like touching things, scratching face, taking mask off with potentially contaminated hands.
Most of the time i see folk just wearing a mask because they see it as a ticket to enter a shop and not for its intent to protect others.

Just thought it would be good to offer some perspective.

TBH your company should not be operating if it can't create a covid secure environment.
Covid risk assessment should have been completed and any necessary alterations should have been implemented.
Oh yes I know mate. If we had a visit from the covid police I'm sure they would close it down. I keep thinking of ringing the council [emoji23]
Alcohol free hand sanitizer! No social distancing, cleaner only comes in once a week and she's crap or blind, I'm not sure which. We regularly run out of soap so I have my own stash. The boss has meeting's in a small office with the door shut. I've told him not to bother calling me in. He can come out to the workshop.

Back
Top Bottom